Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461390 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2355 on: May 10, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

Skyrim is 33% off. Because there are people out there who want it but were waiting for a 33% sale to buy it, so they could celebrate Portal 2's workshop release?

Company of Heroes sounds good. But would you recommend it to someone who didn't particularly like Dawn of War II?
I'm considering getting it regardless, because it's ten bucks for the entire pack. I'm bound to like something about it.
You would like it over DoW2 trust me. And shit 2 is coming out soon with the ruskies :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:58 pm »

Company of Heroes sounds good. But would you recommend it to someone who didn't particularly like Dawn of War II?

Company of Heroes is a proper RTS, not the RTT/ARPG snooze fest that DoW 2 felt like. You can command a far larger force, the maps and terrain is 10x as interesting and it can cater to different styles of RTS players...where as DoW II always devolved into blobbing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 10, 2012, 11:33:45 pm »

On the note of sales another big one Tropico 4 is at 66% off and freeweekend now.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 11, 2012, 09:18:47 am »

Tropico 4 is only fun if you haven't played 3. The differences between the two are negligable. If you've played neither and you're into economic games, then it's certainly an awesome game. It keeps track of all your citizens, and while not as detailed as DF, each of them has thoughts, preferences, a schedule, a family, political affiliations, etc.

Also: Bunch of Heroes for 2.50... I personally didn't really like it. Maybe if you play it with friends it's cool?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 11, 2012, 09:57:53 am »

Tropico 4 adds a few new buildings and stuff though, doesn't it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2360 on: May 11, 2012, 10:13:02 am »

Tropico 4 adds a few new buildings and stuff though, doesn't it?
It also adds a lot of new missions and several campaigns with events and new disasters, etc. And it adds a LOT of new buildings, not just a few.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 11, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »

Ah, I judge a game mostly by mechanics, less so by content. Adding "moar totally optional buildings" to what is essentially the same game does not warrant a sequel number. Tropico 4 is maybe Tropico 3.2 or something.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2362 on: May 11, 2012, 01:27:55 pm »

Ah, I judge a game mostly by mechanics, less so by content. Adding "moar totally optional buildings" to what is essentially the same game does not warrant a sequel number. Tropico 4 is maybe Tropico 3.2 or something.
Its a city building game.. the buildings ARE the mechanics.

It also adds more traits for your presidente, and traits which level up as you successfully complete missions.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:48 pm »

So, I tried out Tropico 4 for Free to Play weekend. Man, I haven't played a city builder since Caesar III way back in the day. I also just spent $60 on <REDACTED> so I'd rather not throw more cash around for a while. Do these games generally go on sale with the summer/winter events?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2364 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:39 pm »

I think the pattern is release at full price, small sale after ~four months, a fair sale or drop in price ~three months after that, and then another sale a year after release. Popular games tend to stay more expensive longer, while less popular ones are often forgotten and randomly pop up with a sale every few months.

And, yeah, expect tons of stuff to go on sale for Christmas. Summer, not so much, but I didn't really pay attention last year. T4 is mildly popular (I think T3 kinda killed its sales), and will have been out for over a year this winter, so I imagine you'll be able to get a decent price on it. It'll probably be the same deal as this weekend, though, unless it drops in price.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 11, 2012, 11:18:34 pm »

The general pattern with summer is to release a bunch of new, summer-themed achievements for games, with sales on the games that participate. Completing those achievements either enters you in a drawing for cool stuff or earns you points to buy items like cheap DLC and TF2 hats.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 11, 2012, 11:57:22 pm »

Hopefully it'll be like the christmas event with coupons and free games, I got Ghost Warrior from it while not great is still a free game. :D

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 12, 2012, 12:50:00 am »

Hopefully it'll be like the christmas event with coupons and free games, I got Ghost Warrior from it while not great is still a free game. :D

I'd prefer the last Summer event, actually - lots of unique DLC packs, and even a couple of minor games, which you could pick and choose from. The Christmas event was... annoying: coupons that were inferior to the day-by-day sales, incredibly low chances of getting a cheap game you don't even want, and coal that you either had to trade away, or gamble for yet another useless coupon...  :'(

But yeah, there's probably a Summer sale of some sort coming up, so I wouldn't buy anything at full price that you don't absolutely want right now. :)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 12, 2012, 01:04:20 am »

I now own Portal 2. *Happy Dance*
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 12, 2012, 01:11:47 am »

I now own Portal 2. *Happy Dance*
*high-five*
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 1135