Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461322 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2325 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »

My point is that "indie" is a completely worthless distinction to make with regards to game development, because it tells you absolutely nothing at all about the game or who made it. Indie devs can be fairly large companies or just one guy in his basement. It can mean a game with a zero-dollar budget or a game with a $3,000,000 budget. It can mean any genre, any amount of quality. It can mean huge established decades old IP, or brand new unheard of before idea.

It's only real use is as a marketing buzzword.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 07, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »

EA is jumping on the Indie bandwagon, thinking "Small group of devs = Indie!" I think they're missing the point, though I'm not sure if they care. All they see is the huge amount of cash Minecraft made, and they want a slice of that cheesecake.
Or perhaps trying to muscle in on the notion that indie groups are somehow better than big name developers, or just that the word "indie" means something good.

Or that the word "indie" holds any worthwhile meaning at all.

I think I read somewhere (Rock Paper Shotgun?) that EA's using the definition that independent developer = developer who holds full creative control over their games.

Which, fair enough, is a necessary condition of being 'Indie'.  Is it sufficient?  I dunno.  I don't think Indie developers need to be two guys in a garage.

The fact is, the easiest way to maintain creative control is to not have your game published by a megacorporation. I'm not saying it's impossible it happened, but I don't buy it for a second. EA is widely known for by-the-numbers game design and annual sequels to cashcow franchises, it's hard not to snicker when they attach the Indie tag to any of their products.

My point is that "indie" is a completely worthless distinction to make with regards to game development, because it tells you absolutely nothing at all about the game or who made it. Indie devs can be fairly large companies or just one guy in his basement. It can mean a game with a zero-dollar budget or a game with a $3,000,000 budget. It can mean any genre, any amount of quality. It can mean huge established decades old IP, or brand new unheard of before idea.

It's only real use is as a marketing buzzword.

I disagree that it's meaningless and grieve the fact that it has indeed become a buzzword. Didn't it used to mean that the creator had complete creative control and ownership of the work? By this definition, "EA Indie Bundle" is actually an oxymoron, since surely EA has ownership of all the titles in the bundle.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 07, 2012, 11:03:31 pm »

I disagree that it's meaningless and grieve the fact that it has indeed become a buzzword. Didn't it used to mean that the creator had complete creative control and ownership of the work? By this definition, "EA Indie Bundle" is actually an oxymoron, since surely EA has ownership of all the titles in the bundle.

AFAIK all the games in the EA bundle are part of the EA partners program (or whatever it's called) where the devs can keep ownership of their IPs and work and have complete creative control. Didn't hothead make the third Deathspank game without EA?

RPS interview with one of the guys who worked on both the Deathspank and Shank games in the bundle.

Nels Anderson: First, all the games in this bundle were published via the EA Partners program. It’s the same group that Valve uses to release their games on consoles. It’s actually a very small group of people within EA and the people that run it are separate from EA’s internal studios.

And it really is a partnership. I never saw anything that could even be vaguely considered creative pressure. EAP got on board with the games because they liked the concepts and the developers! I think they understood that total creative freedom was very important to all the developers involved in these projects.

I’m not privy to the financials though. I’m a game designer very much on purpose and avoid the really business-y stuff if I can.

Indie used to (and still should) mean independant of the big publishers. But that basically means that anything on a console isn't indie, and depending on how you define "big publisher" anything on steam isn't indie. But who published the game still doesn't actually tell you anything about the game itself... Or arguably anything about who made it either depending on the publisher.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: May 07, 2012, 11:12:30 pm »

At a bare minimum, it's ironic considering EA's long history of acquisitions.

To me "big publisher" generally means they pay a dev house to develop a game or they ultimately own a dev house. Zenimax, EA, Activision all come to mind. Steam is technically a publisher but their role is closer to distributor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2329 on: May 08, 2012, 12:27:30 pm »

By the way, Anomaly: Warzone Earth is on sale today for super cheap. It's a very nice game! It's kind of like reverse tower-defense, where you choose the path your troops are going to take into enemy territory littered with turrets of different types. You choose the composition of your troops, upgrade them, make best use of terrain vs specific turrets, etc.

I've personally enjoyed it a bunch :)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 08, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »

(toad-edit: removed response to an argument and some posts above)

By the way, Anomaly: Warzone Earth is on sale today for super cheap. It's a very nice game! It's kind of like reverse tower-defense, where you choose the path your troops are going to take into enemy territory littered with turrets of different types. You choose the composition of your troops, upgrade them, make best use of terrain vs specific turrets, etc.

I've personally enjoyed it a bunch :)

Definatly worth it for 3 quid. I'd recommend Alan Wake too provided the port is decent. Played it ages ago on the 360 and it's got some really good stuff in there. I think the PC version comes with the DLC episodes too?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:01:14 am by Toady One »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: May 10, 2012, 03:05:47 pm »

Company of Heroes weekend on Steam.

Main game is $1.99! If you've ever even toyed with the idea of trying it, you have no reason not to. It's 1 step away from being free.

You can get the main game, Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor for $10. Although the main game is plenty in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:14:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:19 pm »

Company of Heroes weekend on Steam.

Main game is $1.99!. If you've ever even toyed with the idea of trying it, you have no reason not to. It's 1 step away from being free.

You can get the main game, Opposing Front and Tales of Valor for $10. Although the main game is plenty in my opinion.
ToV is good if you want to do some wave survival matches.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 10, 2012, 03:15:11 pm »

Portal 2 is 66% off right now. They recently added a test chamber editor for free, which I'm pleased to say works rather well so far.

And what's Company of Heroes like?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 10, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »

Portal 2 is 66% off right now. They recently added a test chamber editor for free, which I'm pleased to say works rather well so far.

Warhammer 40k in WWII

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 10, 2012, 03:18:58 pm »

Warhammer 40k in WWII
The original Dawn of War or the sequel? The two were rather different...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 10, 2012, 03:21:06 pm »

RTS without the resource gathering and squads instead of individual infantry units.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 10, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »

RTS without the resource gathering and squads instead of individual infantry units.
Wait, are we talking like "Close Combat" style?  How realistic is it?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »

Warhammer 40k in WWII
Original, you had 3 resources to collect for unit construction: men, fuel, and ammo. biggest thing for Company of Heroes was the cover system, have your soldiers duck under a road wall from ongoing machine gun fire. Vehicle have a subsystem damage design so either you blow your gun or a breach on a armor section, alot more but busy at work right now.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2339 on: May 10, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »

Much more like the sequel. Despite caring much more for W40K than WW2 and all the interesting RPG elements I probably enjoyed CoH more than DoW2, though as I've nearly finished a DoW2 campaign and only done a few CoH missions it obviously is not by much. I can't speak for anything but the campaigns but DoW2 felt like a ARPG expect where you have to juggle too many things at once to reach near their potential (but it was easy despite that) while CoH felt like a proper tactical game.

EDIT: There was 2 new replies when I posted. Not super historically accurate from what I've seen. It isn't that ridiculous, fairly immersive until your engineers fail to do anything at point blank range with their SMGs...
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 1135