Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461217 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2265 on: April 21, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »

No, but I have money.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 21, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »

You'll want Arma: Combined Operations. The DLCs can be nice, but if I remember correctly it's not necessary (I can be wrong, I need to recheck if the major mods and multiplayer use them).

About the game: It's a good game, if somewhat heavy, but it's not for everyone. It's incredibly simulationist, so if you want a FPS, it's not going to cut it. If you don't consider your tactics well enough you are not going to have much fun.

So, unless you are a very big fan and is extremely anxious to play a simulationist war game played on a individual level, wait until it goes on sale. It goes for 50-75% every so often.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: April 21, 2012, 10:21:46 pm »

To those who have played it, how would it compare with 7.62mm High Caliber?

Better than 7.62 if you can forgive the lack of turn-based play, although as it has been said many times, using the spacebar to pause and plot is almost the same thing.
Lots of guns, lots of mods and equip, lots of mercs. Good game. Don't go in comparing it to anything else and you will enjoy it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:07 pm »

You'll want Arma: Combined Operations. The DLCs can be nice, but if I remember correctly it's not necessary (I can be wrong, I need to recheck if the major mods and multiplayer use them).

About the game: It's a good game, if somewhat heavy, but it's not for everyone. It's incredibly simulationist, so if you want a FPS, it's not going to cut it. If you don't consider your tactics well enough you are not going to have much fun.

So, unless you are a very big fan and is extremely anxious to play a simulationist war game played on a individual level, wait until it goes on sale. It goes for 50-75% every so often.

That pretty much sums it up.  DLCs are not necessary, since Bohemia Interactive made "lite" versions for those packs available which allow play on servers and maps that use the assets from those packs.

Also, the single player campaign is crap.  I've sunk far more time singleplayer into playing the multiplayer scenarios against AI by myself.

KG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: April 23, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »

Space Marine is on sale today. 66% off, making it a bit over $10 here. That means it's a reasonable price for what it is, so if it interests you, now would be a good time to get it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:17 pm »

Been watching One F Jef's streams of Darkest Hour. Would you guys recommend getting that, HOI:2, or both?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: April 26, 2012, 05:18:52 am »

Regretting JA:BIA purchase a bit. It's decent but even discounted wasn't worth its price.

Now, A Valley Without Wind....

Let's just say if people are interested in a 4-pack of this, I'm interested in figuring out how2money.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: April 26, 2012, 05:23:50 am »

Buying the Mount and Blade pack I do not regret for a minute. Well, maybe in the mornings, after I went to bed at 2AM again.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 26, 2012, 05:34:20 am »

To elaborate on JABIA, it has inadequate resemblance to X-COM, JA, or Frozen Synapse.

What do those games all have in common that I'm getting hung up on? In chronological order, those listed games are things that did what JA:BIA is trying to do but did it beter than JA:BIA does.

It gets really tiresome having to reload the last combat-start autosave because you told your guys to move into a specific spot and then they all ran into each other and got stuck and then ate machine gun fire.

Oh, and it's not uncommon for a level to have 40 or more enemies. I've gotten into the habit of clearing zones by picking off readily-/easily-available enemies, leaving the map, re-entering, and killing the enemies who were moved to those easy-to-pop spots.

Being disallowed from repairing armor makes maintaining a supply line fucking awful, as does the fact that enemy units will retake zones if you don't babysit them because there's fucking no way to make your militia anything but horrendously incompetent that I've seen.

Oh, and since you're expected to get filled with ammo by the bucketful (I can look up my medic stats on average heal checks per day, not counting healing I've done on the overworld map for free, if requested) your armor breaks constantly.

Oh, and the enemy gets tons of armor and machine guns and shit that will almost never drop for you. The armor never will, in fact. You can give the MGs to the militia, but because they're terrible, it's more effective to refurbish them, sell them, and buy mercs with the money.

It's just... not what I was hoping to play.

Edit: http://www.nerd-age.com/jagged-alliance-back-in-action-review/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:04:52 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:39 am »

Buying the Mount and Blade pack I do not regret for a minute. Well, maybe in the mornings, after I went to bed at 2AM again.
Sweet, join me my battle brother tonight for awesome pillaging and wenches galore!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 27, 2012, 04:38:48 am »

Do we have eachother on Steam already? If not, Hi, I'm Siquo.
I'll be getting drunk a lot these days, so not much in the way of M&B, for now, but later, I will.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 27, 2012, 06:12:49 am »

Lone Survivor looks kind of amazing. Should I drop the few dollars for it while it's still 20% off?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 27, 2012, 08:44:36 am »

I would. Consider it like Silent Hill 2 lite. Haven't put more than an hour into it, but I liked what I saw so far. Go search for the Lone Survivor thread I made if you want a play-by-play.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 27, 2012, 10:06:53 am »

Wait for it to go back normal price and pay the creator what they deserve. It's only a couple bucks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2279 on: April 27, 2012, 10:24:48 am »

Wait for it to go back normal price and pay the creator what they deserve. It's only a couple bucks.
I think you're in the wrong thread.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1135