Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460800 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2010 on: March 02, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »

Vampire:
Buy it.
I still have my disc copy on my desk from when I got it as a kid.

Play ghost house, prepare to piss yourself.

I may install it tonight as I have yet to try it on my new pc and now LA won't take eternity to load.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:22 pm »

One thing I have to ask though.

Why is everyone so enamored by the ghost house? I actually found that the low part of the early game. And that's because I consider myself kind of a baby when it comes to scares and things like that. It just... Didn't hit me like everyone else I guess.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 02, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »

Why is everyone so enamored by the ghost house? I actually found that the low part of the early game. And that's because I consider myself kind of a baby when it comes to scares and things like that. It just... Didn't hit me like everyone else I guess.

Something just felt awesome about exploring an old haunted house.  I didn't really find it scary, but I loved the atmosphere.

Also, for me(who wasn't really familiar with the White Wolf lore) I think it was one of the earlier bits of the game where you learn that there is more going on in the world than just vampires.  It really made the whole game feel a bit more real to me.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:30 pm »

I'm pretty hard to scare by conventional means. Yet Ghost House did it to me too. Got the hairs on the back of my neck and arms standing up. I think it's a combination of:

a) good audio
b)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
c)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've played it several times and asked myself the same question, "Why did I find this so scary the first time through?"

When I get down to the basement and the laundry room......I remember why. Being scared requires a healthy suspension of disbelief, and VtM: Bloodlines was a world and a genre where I was happy to suspend my disbelief. Whereas in other titles, I'm incapable of doing it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:42 pm »

It's cause it's unpleasantly scary.  Which is legitimately rare in games.  Only Penumbra and Amnesia strike me as bad and those are total horror games.

I mean I sprint the entire ghost house with the sound muted after the first play cause it is that bad :)

The exploding lightbulbs. Arrrrg they always get me.  Especially the one on the front of the house.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 02, 2012, 06:14:33 pm »

Something just felt awesome about exploring an old haunted house.  I didn't really find it scary, but I loved the atmosphere.

Also, for me(who wasn't really familiar with the White Wolf lore) I think it was one of the earlier bits of the game where you learn that there is more going on in the world than just vampires.  It really made the whole game feel a bit more real to me.

Personally, I didn't like it just because I don't respect jump scares.  I know they're coming, I know they're supposed to be scary, and I know they can't actually do anything, because an instant-death trap house that early in the game would be stupid.  I do get a little impressed at clever jump scares, but as soon as it was obvious the house was haunted with no actual enemies or puzzles, it was just a question of how much special effects do I need to sit through before I wander into the next scene?

I'm overselling it, it wasn't that bad.  I'm just pointing out how one could not like it.

But yeah, I recommend Masquerade: Bloodlines to anyone who like action-RPGs.  It's a lot like Deus Ex really, but with more RPG elements, a conversation engine, and vampire powers instead of nanomachines.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »

"Deus ex: Vampire edition" would be a good way to describe the game honestly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »

Yeah. I just recently got Deus Ex and constantly find myself making comparisons between it and VtM:Bloodlines.

And yes, the Ghost House is only good for one run if you're the kind of person who deconstructs your games. I admit I was kind of disappointed at the end of it....yet I had to give them props, in that I felt like I got a complete experience without combat or puzzles. Which is pretty rare, tbh.

I think what also makes it effective is that the story is delivered almost entirely without NPCs babbling at you or lots of cut scenes. Sure they're holding your hand to guarantee you'll be exposed to the story...but the effects and the isolation play on the mind, and many of the cues are subtle. Replaying it with the sound turned up higher or taking my time or exploring a different route, I'd hear or see things I hadn't seen in the my first play through. It's just a very non-standard approach to a quest level and that left its mark on people playing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:11:59 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »

If you enjoy RPGs, NOT getting VtMB is a disservice to y'self.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 02, 2012, 10:53:13 pm »

See, here's my problem: for the last page, people have been going on about how horrible the last parts of the game are, even worse without a fan patch. Then people start talking about how other parts aren't all that great either. Having memorable characters is nice, but I can get those in a similarly-priced novel and not worry about whether it will work on my laptop.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:46 pm »

It should run, if it ran on my 64mb video card peice of shit it should run on whatever you have. And really, even with the questionable endgame I still thought it was awesome.

In my case it might of just been hype backlash in the hotel portion. Since my god you would swear that was 80% of the game.

Personally, I think it's far more likable a game than Deus ex is past it's prime, it's aged far better and is every bit as good.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:37 pm »

There's too much good to list it all :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 03, 2012, 12:15:48 am »

It should run, if it ran on my 64mb video card peice of shit it should run on whatever you have. And really, even with the questionable endgame I still thought it was awesome.

In my case it might of just been hype backlash in the hotel portion. Since my god you would swear that was 80% of the game.

Personally, I think it's far more likable a game than Deus ex is past it's prime, it's aged far better and is every bit as good.
You'd be surprised what does and doesn't run on this thing :P
Morrowind? Sure thing! Condemned: Criminal Origins? Turn down the graphics a smidge, runs perfect. Minecraft? A little slow, but workable.
Half-Life 2? Bare minimum settings. Jamestown? Stuttering sounds. Space sims? Don't even bother.

Still, I guess y'all convinced me. Even if I hate it, it's only like three bucks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 03, 2012, 12:22:14 am »

V:tM actually has trouble running if you have too much RAM. There's a fix tho, but kinda hacky.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 03, 2012, 12:56:14 am »

VTMB is a pretty good game. I've gotten a short way in, but decided to start a new game. I tried to play it earlier; I got it working, but it crashes too frequently to keep my attention, considering that it takes almost five minutes to start up.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1135