Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460755 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1980 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:49 am »

Nope, but apparently I had the exact amount in my Paypal from a refund I got for an old hosting service I had and cancelled 3 months ago and forgot to disable the autopayment thingy. So... free games!
Considering that it was your money anyway... it's not free.

Free games FREE FREE FREE!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: February 27, 2012, 05:22:12 pm »

Today. The Guild 2 Collection. $5.

I know it was mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I seem to recall someone saying that only Renaissance was worth it. That being said, the Steam forums say that Renaissance doesn't come with a campaign or tutorials.

What does Bay12 recommend? I know the Guild games are well-liked and I've put many hours into The Guild 1400.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: February 27, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »

It's a piece of shite. But if you can get past that it is actually quite good. I like it.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: February 27, 2012, 08:07:52 pm »

It's a piece of shite. But if you can get past that it is actually quite good. I like it.

An actually pretty good piece of shite?  ???

* Felius is confused
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

I think that's the definition of a love/hate relationship.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: February 27, 2012, 09:32:41 pm »

What the hell does The Guild 2 even play like?  It's got a bullshit trailer and screenshots that don't show any of the game interface whatsoever.  I hate screenshots like that.  Fine, it's pretty, I don't care.

Can someone give me a "one hour in the life of a Guild 2 player" summary?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »

Can someone give me a "one hour in the life of a Guild 2 player" summary?

Take control of a poor citizen of the town of your choice. Build places of business and manage those businesses. Court other citizens and increase your title in order to improve your dynasty and increase your options.

There are four classes: rogue, scholar, craftsman, and patron. Each gets a different set of buildings it can build. Rogue and craftsman are mostly self-explanatory. Scholar buildings are things like an apothecary, wizard's tower, etc. Patron buildings are inns and stuff like that.

Look at my most recent game. I started as a Rogue. I had a pub built. While it was being built, I went to the market to pickpocket everybody. When my pub was done, I sent my wagon to the market to get some meat and beer, which I then began to sell in said pub. Then I cased a neighboring establishment. While trying a daring heist at high noon, I got noticed by a guard and had my ass promptly handed to me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:51:00 pm by Mephisto »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:23 pm »

You can also do fun stuff like get yourself into high office as torturer using bribery and blackmail, then have your enemies arrested and tortured without charge.  It is one of those games that is brilliant in alot of regards but broken in alot of others, eg enemy ai families will often commit suicide for no apparent reason, pickpockets are basically free money, its entirely likely that one of your family will catch, say plague which your town doesnt have any cures for. 

Ill back this up, and also, for the 5 bucks its going to cost me, im buying it.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »

If the "piece of shite" business is because of bugs and crashes, there's a beta patch over here.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1989 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:35 pm »

Figures. I bought this game for full price not too long ago, and now it's on sale.  ::)

It's not a bad game, though I certainly can't go around lauding its innumerable virtues. It tickles a certain itch, but gets old pretty fast, since it's a slow grind once you've gotten to a certain point. The mid-game is almost terrible, because there's nowhere to expand because all of the land's been taken. Rogues are basically useless beyond prostitution and pick pocketing, too, which is disappointing.

You can garner favor to gain political office, spy on people to get evidence against them and bring them to court, and own a number of buildings to follow through your various ends. Hire employees, get married, sire children, and keep your dynasty running and profitable.

Think the Sims meets Age of Empires meets Pizza Tycoon meets Political Intrigue.

I give it a C for being charming in its own way and worth taking for a spin if you're into the genre. If you wanted to pick it up, you might as well get all of them so you can play the tutorial in the first one, but beyond that only Renaissance is worth playing extensively.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:46 pm »

I decided not to get gelato today, specifically so I could save money and maybe get a game sometime.  I treat on-sale games like an equivalent value of movie rentals; if they entertain me for a few hours, I'm happy.  Ten bucks and up, and I'd better get good memories equivalent to going out to see a movie: Even if it's not all that replayable, as long as it succeeds in that goal I'm content.

So for this price, good enough for me.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:59 pm »

Rogues are basically useless beyond prostitution and pick pocketing, too, which is disappointing.

Do you mean Rogues as in being that class? Because, if so, I must disagree with you. I can't speak to how profitable it is to try to play a highway man or something, but a few trained warriors can take over a building with relative ease, even more so in the early game. It can be very profitable to send a few rogues to bomb the local mines until you can take them over.

That said, I always have Patron as my starting guy or gal, they get the most profitable businesses that don't need a lot of micromanagement or whatever at the start, then I marry a craftsperson or scholar most of the time and upgrade my house all I can (maybe even buy another) so I have my own personal army (at the start of the game you can make a ton of cash just sending a guy to a trade post to pick up some exotic goods to sell in town).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:34 am »

I find that my highway rouges never seem to grab carts. At least not as much as they should. They just stay at their stations, watching them pass by.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:42 am »

It's worth pointing out that people could just buy Renaissance and then download the demo for one of the other versions to play the tutorials.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 28, 2012, 10:27:59 pm »

Ok so, I'm following the tutorial, they tell me to build a foundry. Problem is, someone plopped a public bath in the only spot available, so now I have nowhere to build.

Sure, I could restart that tutorial but seems like a huge oversight to me.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought I had to build in or around town, but I just had to go further away from it.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 1135