Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460639 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1860 on: January 05, 2012, 03:30:10 pm »

Frozen Synapse is to RTS what checkers is to chess.

It's both very engaging, lots of strategy, but Frozen Synapse is less complex. Complexity is not necessarily a good thing though, some people can't be bothered to memorize all the rules and movements of chess for example.

As much as I've played it, honestly, because of how few "pieces" that can exist, I think the multiplayer is a lot more luck than people would like to believe. But maybe some of us are super ultra tactical geniuses, so who knows. There is a Bay12 player (not me) who got into the top 10 best in the world for this game back when it was younger, but according to him, he only got there exploiting some loopholes. And that everyone else with incredible wins over losses were doing the same thing.

So take from it what you will.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 05, 2012, 04:03:28 pm »

If you haven't bought X-COM yet, now's a great time. The X-COM Collection is $5.09.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 07, 2012, 12:57:32 am »

Holy shit look what finally hit the market, Age of Empires 3 complete, 20 bucks for weekend sale.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 07, 2012, 02:18:38 am »

Frozen Synapse is to RTS what checkers is to chess.

It's both very engaging, lots of strategy, but Frozen Synapse is less complex. Complexity is not necessarily a good thing though, some people can't be bothered to memorize all the rules and movements of chess for example.

As much as I've played it, honestly, because of how few "pieces" that can exist, I think the multiplayer is a lot more luck than people would like to believe. But maybe some of us are super ultra tactical geniuses, so who knows. There is a Bay12 player (not me) who got into the top 10 best in the world for this game back when it was younger, but according to him, he only got there exploiting some loopholes. And that everyone else with incredible wins over losses were doing the same thing.

So take from it what you will.

Hi there.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 07, 2012, 05:47:22 am »

Also, it wasn't just top 10; it was #1 global. This was before the Daily Duplicate and Elo systems, when it was raw score only. There was a dispute about whether a problem was, indeed, a problem. People concluded it wasn't.

I, ahem, proved them wrong.

Aaaaaaanyway, there is no luck in FS unless you get an asymmetric spawn, and even then if you're good you can turn it around. I've won with a fair number of garbage starts.

You just gotta outguess yer enemy. FS is comprised solely of technical knowledge and mind-games.

True fact, I beat Sankis of flaming rampage fame in an Ext5.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:01 am »

So Titan Quest and TQ: Immortal Throne are on sale, -75% off. I bought the pack that includes both.

RAEG! It's Mount & Blade all over again; TQ is to TQ:IT as M&B is to M&B: Warband.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 25, 2012, 04:23:26 am »

So Titan Quest and TQ: Immortal Throne are on sale, -75% off. I bought the pack that includes both.

RAEG! It's Mount & Blade all over again; TQ is to TQ:IT as M&B is to M&B: Warband.

So, what's that actually mean, for us dumb folks?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 25, 2012, 04:37:16 am »

It basically means you're getting more of the same, not that it's necessarily a bad thing; but if you're expecting a grand change you're going to be disappointed.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:40 am »

What? Immortal throne is an expansion, you won't see any new stuff (appart from the new class) until you defeat the vanilla final boss.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 25, 2012, 04:47:21 am »

It basically means you're getting more of the same, not that it's necessarily a bad thing; but if you're expecting a grand change you're going to be disappointed.

Ah, okay. All I know is it's a Greek-themed ARPG, and apparently skill-based. I can't complain about $5 either way, if I play it for more than a day it's entertainment value well spent.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 25, 2012, 05:11:45 am »

What it meant for M&B was "I paid for this game and now they want me to pay for it again."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »

What? Immortal throne is an expansion, you won't see any new stuff (appart from the new class) until you defeat the vanilla final boss.

This confusion was caused by Steam. Usually, I can't see expansions in my game list. If I install Borderlands, for example, they're all hidden away in a right-click menu. For Titan Quest, they're both present in my library. Therefore, I assumed that they were separate. Looking at the Immortal Throne page, I see that the original game is required to play.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »

This confusion was caused by Steam. Usually, I can't see expansions in my game list. If I install Borderlands, for example, they're all hidden away in a right-click menu. For Titan Quest, they're both present in my library. Therefore, I assumed that they were separate. Looking at the Immortal Throne page, I see that the original game is required to play.

No, you have a point -- if something appears independently in the list, it can be played independently.
That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't require the basegame, though, it just means it doesn't directly interfere with the basegame content files i.e. you can play the original without the expansion if you want.

The X-series is quite famous for this as well.  X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude are two separate things, despite the fact that Prelude relies on Conflict.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 25, 2012, 06:06:48 pm »

Well, picked up the Titan Quest bundle as well as Dust for a grand total of $10.

Damn you Steam...it's not like I needed any new games to play.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 25, 2012, 06:14:58 pm »

Am I the only one who found Titan Quest unplayably dull? It's got a decent metacritic score, but looking into it a bit all the reviews seem to say "It's like Diablo and it's, uh, not bad, I guess? 8/10!" Anyway, I bought it at a prior sale, and was extremely disappointed with the purchase.

Just sayin.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 1134