Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460606 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1800 on: December 31, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »

Dead Island being 50% off currently, is it worth it? I don't really understand what sets it apart from other melee-focused zombie games; does anyone here own it?

Also, Counter-Strike: Source is a pretty decent game, and makes Garry's Mod better, which is very fun. If you don't have one or both of those, you may want to look into buying them.

LA Noire: Good game supposedly, but I won't buy it because purchasing it won't actually support the creators.
What?
I'm wondering this as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 31, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »

Dead Island being 50% off currently, is it worth it? I don't really understand what sets it apart from other melee-focused zombie games; does anyone here own it?

I've seen a fair amount of it. It's closer to "Borderlands" than "Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout." In that, what you're opening boxes and searching around for is a known, finite amount of item and item types. Kind of like how Money was a generic filler thing to find in Borderlands, Dead Island struck me much the same way. It apes open world games without having as detailed of mechanics. Like Borderlands, all the stuff you buy with earned XP is "yaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn."

Re: Open world, the game doesn't put in the leg work to make it really stand out. Enemies often respawn in the same places moments after turning your back on them. Things aren't randomized to a great extent, and when there aren't tons of NPCs to talk to ala Bethesda games, areas can tend to seem a little shallow, since their only salient features are zombies and loot.

The weapon/upgrade system is pretty wonky as I understand it. The loss of durability on a good item often makes using them too expensive. Knocking off a single point of durability on a high end weapon costs silly amounts of money to repair.

On the plus side it's atmospheric, immersive (until the UI starts putting a lot of junk on your screen), the murderalting is pretty satisfying and the game can even start to get challenging later on when you start meeting a lot of zombies and the higher end zombie types.

DI is something I'd buy for $5 to $10 tops. It's a fun romp if you don't hold its short comings against it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:42 pm »

LA Noire: Good game supposedly, but I won't buy it because purchasing it won't actually support the creators.
What?
I'm wondering this as well.

the studio behind the game folded a little while after releasing it so all the money goes to rock-star afaik

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 31, 2011, 11:49:09 pm »

Yeah, the studio who made L.A. Noire was working on it for a long time with many people quit because of the shitty working conditions. So now Rockstar gets all the proceeds to the game.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1804 on: January 01, 2012, 03:34:48 am »

does anyone think Civ 5 is good? It gets such mixed reviews.
I got nothing

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1805 on: January 01, 2012, 04:32:37 am »

A lot of people seem to think Civ 4 was better. But I'd say if you're already a fan of the series, go for it. If not, 4 is cheaper :P

Oh, while I'm here, I got a Disciples II thing from the objectives, is it any good? If not I'll be giving it away.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 01, 2012, 06:09:22 am »

A lot of people seem to think Civ 4 was better. But I'd say if you're already a fan of the series, go for it. If not, 4 is cheaper :P

Huh, I thought fans of the series were the ones who didn't like it  :-\

I'm a huge fan of the series, particularly II and IV, but V fell incredibly flat for me. Civ games basically use the same general formula with some additions and minor changes, stuff like culture or religion.  They all use a great formula, so based on the merits of the previous games I guess Civ V is pretty good, but my complaint is that most of the additions were inconsequential or tacked on, and most of the changes were detrimental. Hex maps are nice I guess, but don't end up drastically changing gameplay. City States are too minor to focus on and end up being nothing more than an annoyance. The dramatic change to city defense made invasions a frustrating chore, stacking the odds heavily against the invader (when there were already measures in place to give the defender the advantage in previous games). The graphics are more complex but less intuitive. Natural Wonders were pretty cool though. It was like "Hey neat, I found El Dorado! Wait, how is El Dorado naturally occurring?" It's the first game in the series I thought was a downgrade, basically. Go for IV if you haven't, otherwise just pass.

Of course that's just my opinion and many will disagree! I just felt like typing a mini-rant.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 01, 2012, 06:10:55 am »

Oh, while I'm here, I got a Disciples II thing from the objectives, is it any good? If not I'll be giving it away.
It is a bit like Heros of Might and Magic meets old school Final Fantasy, If you like the over-world map elements of HMM enough to take a risk I say unpack it.
Thank you based dwarf.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 01, 2012, 08:52:31 am »

Why is Half-Life in my library now? It recently got added to the default "games" tab, but I can't actually install it or anything, the button that would normally say install or play says purchase. WTF, Valve?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:54 am »

It has had a long and gentle evolution since it's release. It is now a refined and pleasant experience, but not revolutionary. Civ games were about evolution, not revolution and the 5th was no exception.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 01, 2012, 11:29:43 am »

Why is Half-Life in my library now? It recently got added to the default "games" tab, but I can't actually install it or anything, the button that would normally say install or play says purchase. WTF, Valve?
Now it's installing along with the source SDK... And I didn't install either... WTF VALVE??? THIS IS CREEPY!
Edit: HL1 is fully downloaded, but the button just says "purchase". WHAT IS HAPPENING??
Edit: Apparently Counter Strike needs it to run, but I can't actually play it as I haven't bought it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:40:04 am by klingon13524 »
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 01, 2012, 11:41:40 am »

so the halflife game came along with counterstrike?

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 01, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »

Yes, but I can't play it and according to it's store page, I don't own it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 01, 2012, 12:44:06 pm »

i dunno man, whenever i install my source SDK theres always a HL folder but thats for resources.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:21 pm »

Got the Fable franchise this time through, I just wish they had ported Fable 2 for the PC, but Fable:TLC was well worth the money paid and I had always wanted to try Fable 3 (even picked up the DLC's at small price.)
I also decided to pick up all the Shogun 2 DLC (Blood pack was only 38 cents US) So I should have plenty of stuff to keep me occupied.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 1134