Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460395 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1650 on: December 24, 2011, 01:53:40 pm »

Skyrim on sale for $40 U.S!
BUY MNOW!

Edit: The best part is that my 6450 HD will hardly be able to play it, BUT I HAVE IT! *Goes off to droll in a corner*
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:04:01 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 24, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

What? I bought skyrim like two weeks ago! I swear, if they didn't put Modern Warfare 2 on sale last year, why are they putting Skyrim on sale this year? It'd sell tons no matter what.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 24, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »

What? I bought skyrim like two weeks ago! I swear, if they didn't put Modern Warfare 2 on sale last year, why are they putting Skyrim on sale this year? It'd sell tons no matter what.
It's because Bethesda realizes that sale=more buys.
(Not always like that, but it seems to work for Valve.)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 24, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

I bought it because they put it on sale. It works, clearly.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 24, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

Because Skyrim at list price is crazy expensive, and the sale price is just barely sane. It's a trick: overprice things and immediately put them "on sale".

That's why I don't buy any new games. $60? That's like my entire month's breakfast budget.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1655 on: December 24, 2011, 03:01:20 pm »

Steam could use an official android app, or at least a mobile browser compatible store. I may miss out on some of these sales while visiting family.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 24, 2011, 03:18:42 pm »

Skyrim is on sale?!

*Buys*

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 24, 2011, 03:30:10 pm »

Steam could use an official android app, or at least a mobile browser compatible store. I may miss out on some of these sales while visiting family.
Disregard family, acquire games. Yes, us people in your computer tend to give you terrible advice.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1658 on: December 24, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »

I see Company of Heroes is on sale, but I already have Men of War. I hear and see they are somewhat similar. WHich is better? I like Men of War but is CoH worth getting for me? Is it better?
I got nothing

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 24, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »

I see Company of Heroes is on sale, but I already have Men of War. I hear and see they are somewhat similar. WHich is better? I like Men of War but is CoH worth getting for me? Is it better?

If you've played WH40k Dawn of War, CoH plays almost exactly the same. You capture points and get resources, you buy squads and reinforce them (buy more soldiers, with the exception that you can only do it inside your area of control, unlike DoW which lets you do it deep in enemy territory). There are, I think, 2-3 types of resource points instead of just generic Requisition Point (ammo and fuel, I think). I think it is also more restrictive on where you can build.

Haven't played Men of War so I can't compare them, but I guess I'll just leave that summary there and let you decide. If you don't know DoW let me know so I can be more specific.

EDIT: Opinions on other forums (ignoring the "X is better than Y" ones) is that they do play quite differently. MoW is oriented more towards realism, it also is apparently REALLY hard?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:59:58 pm by Sergius »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 24, 2011, 04:34:01 pm »

The skyrim sale price is only about 50p cheaper than a boxed copy in my local Game store, who haven't started their new year sale discounts yet. Coupled with the construction set still not being out, I think I'll hold off on getting it for the moment.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 24, 2011, 05:26:21 pm »

Yes but skyrim on steam doesn't require a disk.

Also, why is your gamestore's standerd price 40?

What do you mean by50p? Pennies? Pence?

Also, CoH is way better then DoW. I have played DoW 40k, and it's heavily unrealistic. You could shoot through walls, height didn't matter, and the "cover" was a different texture on the ground.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 24, 2011, 06:12:18 pm »

Because Skyrim at list price is crazy expensive, and the sale price is just barely sane. It's a trick: overprice things and immediately put them "on sale".

That's why I don't buy any new games. $60? That's like my entire month's breakfast budget.

MW2 was sixty during Christmas too, and was still like the #1 seller through most of the sale. I guess Bethesda isn't as cheap.

Ah well, I've got over 50 hours in Skyrim in the two weeks before the sale so I think it was worth the extra $20. Unlike L4D2 which I bought at $15 and didn't play once until it went on sale for $5.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 24, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »

Yes but skyrim on steam doesn't require a disk.
There's no way to play Skyrim without Steam. If you go buy the disc, you put it in your computer and then download Skyrim through Steam.
(I know this through personal experience. I stood for an hour and a half outside of a game store in below-freezing weather to buy it at midnight, only to download it through Steam.)

On another note, this discount is a great move by Bethesda. Now, most everyone who wanted to buy the PC version of Skyrim will have, before the base game price ever gets marked down to even $40. It was already one of the most-sold games on Steam, ever. Profits, profits, everywhere.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 24, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »

The single player is AWESOME.

The multiplayer blows though. But it's to be expected for such an old game since very few people play it online any more.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 1134