Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460282 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1560 on: December 20, 2011, 10:53:47 pm »

i've heard Costume Quest is pretty good too and there's a bundle for those two

It's lots of fun, but really simple. Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. I enjoyed it.

Nobody told me Dungeons of Dredmor was a roguelike!

...What did you think it was?

Also, yeah. Dredmor + the DLC costs about as much as a bag of chips. Do it. The DLC too, it's worth it.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: December 20, 2011, 11:25:12 pm »

New achievement: Lose 30,000 ships in a single game of AI War: Fleet Command.

Yes...I think I can do this...

Make sure you remember to use the speed up time option otherwise this will take you forever.
If there aren't size requirements and you are willing to ignore the spirit of the challenge, following the letter only, it can be easier if you build them at size 0.001 or something.

Sidenote: Why steam keep violating my wallet every so often? :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: December 20, 2011, 11:42:45 pm »

About to pick up a bunch of stuff I've put off for too long:
EUIII (with expansions)
Stalker: SoC and CoP
FO:NV (with all expansions)

for $47 and change.  :D

My only concern is my shitty integrated Intel graphics, but none of those games have requirements above a 128MB card with DX9 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support, and I"ve run games with those requirements on this computer. If worst comes to worst, I just have to wait a few years until I get a proper gaming rig, and these prices make it more than worth it, as I saved something like $53.  <3 Valve.

wait wait don't get those yet

I'd put money on EU3 and FO:NV going on a daily sale before this is over.

Nobody told me Dungeons of Dredmor was a roguelike!

...What did you think it was?

Dunno, some really good game that was under $2. I typically buy those regardless of genre.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:51 am »

About to pick up a bunch of stuff I've put off for too long:
EUIII (with expansions)
Stalker: SoC and CoP
FO:NV (with all expansions)

for $47 and change.  :D

My only concern is my shitty integrated Intel graphics, but none of those games have requirements above a 128MB card with DX9 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support, and I"ve run games with those requirements on this computer. If worst comes to worst, I just have to wait a few years until I get a proper gaming rig, and these prices make it more than worth it, as I saved something like $53.  <3 Valve.

wait wait don't get those yet

I'd put money on EU3 and FO:NV going on a daily sale before this is over.

EU3 was already 60% off, and FO:NV was 50% off, so I was more than happy as it was, as each of them went with all expansions for about the price of 1.7 and 2 paperbacks respectively. And yes, that is my standard of measurement for value.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:40 am »

Paperbacks can be anything from $5 to $20. It seems a very imprecise system of measure :|

I go by the price of my favorite meal from McDonald's, which is just under $5. Since the items are value meal, it's roughly the same just about everywhere I go.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: December 21, 2011, 01:06:17 am »

Paperbacks can be anything from $5 to $20. It seems a very imprecise system of measure :|

I go by the price of my favorite meal from McDonald's, which is just under $5. Since the items are value meal, it's roughly the same just about everywhere I go.

Where I live and in most places I've spent time in, pretty much every book store I've ever been in, from indie stores, to good chains, to bad chains, to absolute shit chains, charge $7.99 for SF and Fantasy paperbacks.  ;)

Of course, hardback and stuff from other genres is a different matter, but SF/Fantasy paperback prices are about as stable as manga prices (too damn high; used to be $7.99 per volume, which was reasonable, but are now apparently 15.99 per volume-scanlations it is, then).

Also, still got a stack of cash from reselling my texts from last semester, so I'm going to wait and jump on special sales for stuff I wouldn't normally buy (and to see if I can actually run the stuff I bought, in which case a bunch of new avenues are open).

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: December 21, 2011, 01:07:25 am »

Where I live and in most places I've spent time in, pretty much every book store I've ever been in, from indie stores, to good chains, to bad chains, to absolute shit chains, charge $7.99 for SF and Fantasy paperbacks.  ;)

Of course, hardback and stuff from other genres is a different matter, but SF/Fantasy paperback prices are about as stable as manga prices (too damn high; used to be $7.99 per volume, which was reasonable, but are now apparently 15.99 per volume-scanlations it is, then).

Also, still got a stack of cash from reselling my texts from last semester, so I'm going to wait and jump on special sales for stuff I wouldn't normally buy (and to see if I can actually run the stuff I bought, in which case a bunch of new avenues are open).

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: December 21, 2011, 01:18:33 am »

Depends (mostly) on the size and age of the book in question.

I have in front of me three different sci-fi paperbacks: The Founding (Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus), A Mighty Fortress (by David Weber) and A King of Infinite Space (hardcore sci-fi that no-one, not even TV-Tropes, seems to know about).

The Founding: 767 pages, $15
A Mighty Fortress: 1130 pages, $8.99
A King of Infinite Space: 424 pages, $5.99 when new (got it for $1 at a used book sale)

You can kinda see why I wouldn't use that measuring system :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: December 21, 2011, 01:47:14 am »

Well, if you want to, Flying Dice. New Vegas is definitely going to go on 75% off sale soon. You can quote me on that.

And EU3, while less certain, has gone on sale as a daily during about every seasonal steam sale since last christmas, even though it was also a normal sale item during those times. My friends all bought EU3 last Christmas for $10 and then I bought it 2 days later for $5.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: December 21, 2011, 01:51:38 am »

Depends (mostly) on the size and age of the book in question.

I have in front of me three different sci-fi paperbacks: The Founding (Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus), A Mighty Fortress (by David Weber) and A King of Infinite Space (hardcore sci-fi that no-one, not even TV-Tropes, seems to know about).

The Founding: 767 pages, $15
A Mighty Fortress: 1130 pages, $8.99
A King of Infinite Space: 424 pages, $5.99 when new (got it for $1 at a used book sale)

You can kinda see why I wouldn't use that measuring system :P

See, you're being clever and tracking down used copies in (presumably) actual book shops, rather than stores; I'm talking about new, 17x10.5cm paperbacks in that 'standard' size that you see used for the works of a lot of the more prolific authors. In about ten seconds I pulled 7 volumes from seven different authors off of my shelves, each of which cost $7.99 and fits that size profile exactly. Of course works that aren't to those dimensions are going to be priced differently in a number of cases, but everything that is (i.e. most of the SF/Fantasy section in any given store) is going to be at that price. Page count is irrelevant; those were from 512 pages for I Will Fear No Evil to 980 forThe Shadow Rising.

Of course, it could also be chalked up to regional sales practices. :-\

Well, if you want to, Flying Dice. New Vegas is definitely going to go on 75% off sale soon. You can quote me on that.

And EU3, while less certain, has gone on sale as a daily during about every seasonal steam sale since last christmas, even though it was also a normal sale item during those times. My friends all bought EU3 last Christmas for $10 and then I bought it 2 days later for $5.

Eh, I've already spent the money, and the prices weren't especially eye-gougingly high, particularly in comparison to long years of buying from a used games shop which jacked prices up by something like 400%.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 21, 2011, 01:53:57 am »

I wanna ask though Flying Dice, why no Clear Sky?

I've recently replayed all of the games with complete, and outside of some issues in Limansk clear sky is my absolute favorite of the series now after finally being able to give it a proper play.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 21, 2011, 02:12:45 am »

IIRC, because I forgot to add it to the cart before checking out.  :P

But yeah, I have no intention of not buying it, assuming I can even run the others, and I'll probably be going back for a second dip at the low priced gooey goodness before the sale is over, as this is essentially me buying enough games to last for another year or two, at the very least.

I already know I'm going to be buying Clear Sky, along with From Dust, as well as Dungeons of Dredmor and Inside A Star-Filled Sky, assuming I win neither of those in the big winter giveaway.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: December 21, 2011, 02:31:56 am »

Oh my I can totally Recommend Dredmor. I'm totally jaded when it comes to rougelikes and it's like my favorite game currently. Though inside a star filled sky... I'd pass on it. It's an interesting concept but it's not even pulled off half as well as it could be.

And yeah that's a good idea. Clear sky is much more system intensive than both SoC and CoP, though my god is it pretty.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 21, 2011, 02:33:47 am »

Oh my I can totally Recommend Dredmor. I'm totally jaded when it comes to rougelikes and it's like my favorite game currently. Though inside a star filled sky... I'd pass on it. It's an interesting concept but it's not even pulled off half as well as it could be.

And yeah that's a good idea. Clear sky is much more system intensive than both SoC and CoP, though my god is it pretty.
Running on HD4570 and Core2duo 2.2GHz laptop yet i can run the game, don't pass it up Dice, you will be missing something out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 21, 2011, 02:43:30 am »

Running on HD4570 and Core2duo 2.2GHz laptop yet i can run the game, don't pass it up Dice, you will be missing something out.

I've got one of those integrated Intel HD Graphics Accelerator chips, which is from what I can tell absolute rubbish for gaming, though I've had success with games with graphics card requirements at or below 128MB, so I'm reasonably confident that I can run Clear Sky on really low settings. My biggest curse with it has been pretty substantial graphical glitches with Fallout and Quake III, which drove me bonkers until I just gave up on it in the former case, and resolved the issue in the latter.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1134