Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460095 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1365 on: November 20, 2011, 12:52:01 pm »

True, the 'proper' Magicks require you to memorize spell formulas... but even then, there are only a couple of day-to-day spells that you need (Revive, Haste), and you can pull up a list of known Magicks at will. Heck, you can display your favourite right on your character, which is great for learning a new one! And once you cast them a few times, you'll memorize them naturally in no time.

A nice system obsoleting itself. This is why I didn't buy it.

Those special spells aren't used altogether that often. Your bread and butter stuff is a combination of elements. To not buy it, simply because the spells are about memory or appear under your character (you really didn't single out why this system obsoletes itself), when it is a fun game, seems ridiculous to me

From what I've heard you will fall back on a handful of combinations for all/most situations. In that case you might as well just have a spell list from the beginning.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 20, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

True, the 'proper' Magicks require you to memorize spell formulas... but even then, there are only a couple of day-to-day spells that you need (Revive, Haste), and you can pull up a list of known Magicks at will. Heck, you can display your favourite right on your character, which is great for learning a new one! And once you cast them a few times, you'll memorize them naturally in no time.

A nice system obsoleting itself. This is why I didn't buy it.

Those special spells aren't used altogether that often. Your bread and butter stuff is a combination of elements. To not buy it, simply because the spells are about memory or appear under your character (you really didn't single out why this system obsoletes itself), when it is a fun game, seems ridiculous to me

From what I've heard you will fall back on a handful of combinations for all/most situations. In that case you might as well just have a spell list from the beginning.

Yes and no. You can beat the game using nothing but a couple of spells (the infamous lightning/steam beam comes to mind), but like many good games, "the fun is in the journey". Half the fun of Magicka is figuring out new and improved means of taking down enemies - be it a wall of volcanic rocks to hold back a snow troll, to a barrage of electrified icicles to soften up a pack of goblins, to a collection of healing landmines, there's dozens of interesting combinations to come up with.

More importantly, all the combinations I just mentioned are not pre-defined spells. You could take those electrified icicles, throw in a little arcane, and suddenly you've got a beam of electrified ice. Or use an AoE cast instead, and create a deadly nova of ice. Magicka is all about being creative with your weapons - it's about taking an enormous variety of ridiculously powerful spells, splicing them together in innovative ways and combinations, and then unleashing them to devastate your foes. (And frequently your friends, as well!)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 21, 2011, 04:37:03 am »

combinations I just mentioned are not pre-defined spells.

The depends on your definition of pre-defined. It's not like there is really that many unique combinations, mostly added elements just adds extra <insert element here> damage.
Some do change the attack style but there is only a handful of these.

I found the game fun for a while but got bored of it quickly, but to be fair I was playing single player which is not how it's designed. I imagine co-op would be good fun, especially for a price like that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 21, 2011, 09:17:41 am »

The depends on your definition of pre-defined. It's not like there is really that many unique combinations, mostly added elements just adds extra <insert element here> damage.

I found the game fun for a while but got bored of it quickly, but to be fair I was playing single player which is not how it's designed. I imagine co-op would be good fun, especially for a price like that.
Co-op is fun. Also, you unintentionally kill your teammates a ludicrous number of times.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:44 am »

Co-op is fun. Also, you unintentionally kill your teammates a ludicrous number of times.

Unintentionally?  You're doing it wrong.   ;D

KG

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:28 am »

Man.... I want to play this so badly but it just stopped working halfway through the campaign. Deleting it and redownloading it does nothing either.

I have it on steam.... It might be something else, as steam's "delete local content" doesn't delete everything. Anyone know how to completly delete the game?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 21, 2011, 12:37:45 pm »

KG
That wasn't counting the intentional number of times.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:29 am »

So is there a christmas sale on steam or a "non-denominational" winter sale? And how good are the deals compared to the summers sale? Because I think I could get like 12 games for say....$30ish dollars.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #1373 on: November 23, 2011, 09:35:40 am »

KG

The best ones are the indirect intentional kills: "Try QSER," I said to my space-marine-robes-wearing co-op buddy.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 23, 2011, 10:19:22 am »

KG

The best ones are the indirect intentional kills: "Try QSER," I said to my space-marine-robes-wearing co-op buddy.
lol. That's pretty funny.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 23, 2011, 10:43:58 am »

It's easier to memorize Magicka "spells" instead of a word, as a sort of guitar chord. For instance (just as an example, no idea what spell you said does... suicide spell?) QSER: don't "type" qser, instead push "QS" simultaneously, then "ER" simultaneously. Or if you're really skilled with your fingers, just all 4 keys at the same time.

I think one of the most damaging spells was: QFQFSAA, it's better entered as "QF" simultaneously, twice really fast, then "SA" once and just "A" once. It becomes almost mechanical.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #1376 on: November 23, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

QSER without shift probably won't kill you... unless you're in robes that have an arcane weakness. It's little ice mountains that blow up and knock back immediately, like mines but more dangerous.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:49 am »

I think one of the most damaging spells was: QFQFSAA, it's better entered as "QF" simultaneously, twice really fast, then "SA" once and just "A" once. It becomes almost mechanical.
I actually did that so much that it started screwing around with my casting other spells at some point. Damn you muscle memory!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 23, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »

Steams Autumn sale is here!  Games for silly low prices abound!

I'm going to pick up Orcs must Die today.  :)

Edit:  And Duke Nukem.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 23, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

Wow.
I think the servers went nuts over this sale.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 1134