Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1460053 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1335 on: November 18, 2011, 09:19:45 am »

The sale is ending, but I'm cheap. But it's a good deal. And it meshes with my habit of buying games that are years out of date.

But... Christmas...

ARGH!

Buy 10 and gift them to your relatives. Then redirect to the Steam page so they can see the (non-sale) price.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 18, 2011, 10:09:16 am »

The sale is ending, but I'm cheap. But it's a good deal. And it meshes with my habit of buying games that are years out of date.

But... Christmas...

ARGH!

Buy 10 and gift them to your relatives. Then redirect to the Steam page so they can see the (non-sale) price.
Genius.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: November 18, 2011, 10:49:49 am »

Ok, where to begin? Big pack on sale.

Half-Life 2, Gish, World of Goo, Aquaria , Braid, Braid Soundtrack, Machinarium, Machinarium Soundtrack, Super Meat Boy, BIT.TRIP BEAT, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy Soundtrack, Bit.Trip Beat Soundtrack, Bit.Trip Runner Soundtrack

$25

Most of the stuff except HL2 is 50% off, even with that, buying each thing separately and ignoring the soundtracks, it all comes down to $55. (with the pack, EVERYTHING in it is at 75%)

I don't see any games in there that I DON'T want to buy ;)

Also:
Simcity 4 Deluxe $5
Magicka Collection $6.24

Already got Magicka Collection (except the Gamer Bundle :P). It's a funny little game but I don't play it that much. I'd say it's not for everyone.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 18, 2011, 11:22:12 am »

I'd take it if I didn't already have everything 'cept for HL2 and SMB.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 18, 2011, 11:23:10 am »

Only Bit.Trip Runner and the soundtracks that I don't already have out of that pack so not such a good deal for me. Still definetely worth it if you haven't got the games yet.

Also magicka has a free weekend.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 18, 2011, 11:23:27 am »

Replace SMB with Bit.Trip Runner and you have my situation.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 18, 2011, 02:29:17 pm »

I vaguely recall that Valve decided to let people pass games on to other people, on the condition that that copy of the game had never been installed.  Has this been implemented yet?  Are there other limitations, like e.g. can't pass on part of a salepack?

I'm not hinting here.  I have everything from that pack except Aquaria and all the soundtracks.  I'm just wondering.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 18, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »

I've never heard of that. They give extra copies of some games from certain packs if you already own the game but if you don't then it becomes associated to your account and can't be passed on. (unless purchased specifically as a gift in which case the gift recipient follows the same rules as you would, getting extra copies if permitted if they already own it, etc.)

Sale packs have varied in ability to pass them on. For instance the extra copies of games from the potato sack if you already owned some were all able to be passed on individually. Other packs don't give you extra copies of part of a pack, though you can usually buy the complete pack as a gift that can be passed on as a single item.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:40:06 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:26 pm »

Buy it for HL2 and SMB, then help a huge Bay12 Christmas giveaway with your spare copies! (An idea I had a few days ago, I may or may not make it reality.)
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 18, 2011, 03:54:20 pm »

Isn't it true that when you buy a pack like this, you have to either gift all or none of it? Otherwise I would do this much more often.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 18, 2011, 04:09:51 pm »

Actually I might do that. My karma's in the dumps right now anyway.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:49 pm »

I can vouch for deals like this being notoriously unlikely to allow gifting of anything you already have.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 18, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »

I can vouch for deals like this being notoriously unlikely to allow gifting of anything you already have.

Then what do you do with the extra copies? Do they magically disappear, invalidating some unmeasurable amount of money you spent?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 18, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »

Then what do you do with the extra copies? Do they magically disappear, invalidating some unmeasurable amount of money you spent?
When you go to buy a pack that has games you already own, it tells you that you already own them.  (I do not remember if it tells you that you will not get another copy or not.  I'm pretty sure that Steam flags you as an owner or not... not how many copies you own.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 18, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »

When you go to buy a pack that has games you already own, it tells you that you already own them.  (I do not remember if it tells you that you will not get another copy or not.  I'm pretty sure that Steam flags you as an owner or not... not how many copies you own.)

I understand that. But if you buy the pack anyway, some part of your money is going towards those games you already have. If you do not get another copy to give to your friends, logically that part of your purchase disappears into thin air. If that is really what happens, it's an incredibly greedy design choice.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 1134