Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459811 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1155 on: October 28, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »

Anyone who is unsure about STALKER:

PLAY.

IT.

NOW.

It is, by far, the MOST realistic shooter I have EVER played, when it comes to gameplay. It doesn't look as nice as BF3, and it's got a few game-killing bugs here and there, but oh my god the immersion is to DIE for. Remember HALO? I've shot dudes in the HEAD in that game and they just shrugged it off. In STALKER, you shoot something in the head and it is DEAD.

Just oh my god I am fanboying everywhere over STALKER. I love the game so, so much. Buy it, play it, and even if you don't like it you'll still be doing yourself a favor.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 28, 2011, 02:14:57 pm »

FINE, I'LL BUY THE DAMN GAME!

I hope you're happy with yourself...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 28, 2011, 02:28:21 pm »

PLAY.

IT.

NOW.

It is, by far, the MOST realistic shooter I have EVER played, when it comes to gameplay. It doesn't look as nice as BF3, and it's got a few game-killing bugs here and there, but oh my god the immersion is to DIE for. Remember HALO? I've shot dudes in the HEAD in that game and they just shrugged it off. In STALKER, you shoot something in the head and it is DEAD.

Just oh my god I am fanboying everywhere over STALKER. I love the game so, so much. Buy it, play it, and even if you don't like it you'll still be doing yourself a favor.

I would, but the horrible client I play it on crashes the game more the further you get into it. And has thus become impossible to play :(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1158 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:10 pm »

PLAY.

IT.

NOW.

Unfortunately I tried the first STALKER and hated it. I don't even remember why at this point since that was a while ago, but I remember thinking it was terrible. Since then I have had no desire to play any of them.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »

PLAY.

IT.

NOW.

Unfortunately I tried the first STALKER and hated it. I don't even remember why at this point since that was a while ago, but I remember thinking it was terrible. Since then I have had no desire to play any of them.

I hated it first too. Nothing explained and a lot of little annoyances. Get some mods and read a guide or watch a lets play of someone who knows what they are doing. Once you understand everything it gets fun fast.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1160 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:16 pm »

I hated it first too. Nothing explained and a lot of little annoyances. Get some mods and read a guide or watch a lets play of someone who knows what they are doing. Once you understand everything it gets fun fast.
If I need mods and research to enjoy a game, I'd rather just not buy the game. Games should be able to stand on their own.

The only exception to that which I've found so far is Minecraft, but even that game I disliked for a long time and the only reason I play it now is because the mods make it an entirely different game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 28, 2011, 04:03:58 pm »

If I need mods and research to enjoy a game, I'd rather just not buy the game. Games should be able to stand on their own.

What about DF? A lot of people can't get into that without research (and sometimes mods like lazy newb pack, or graphical tilesets).

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 28, 2011, 04:05:41 pm »

STALKER is awesome, anyone who says otherwise is clearly insane and should be detained.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 28, 2011, 04:20:24 pm »

What about DF? A lot of people can't get into that without research (and sometimes mods like lazy newb pack, or graphical tilesets).

I stand with Forsaken here. DF is a little different in the fact that it is a strategy game, free, and currently in Alpha. It is just a much bigger scale than STALKER.

For an FPS to require mods and guides is pretty bad. There are 9000 other FPSs that don't.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 28, 2011, 04:31:17 pm »

Good point. STALKER does not have the same sort of narrow audience and alpha nature as DF.

I feel the same way, though, with a lot of games, like Oblivion. While I didn't need a strategy guide for it, it was not enjoyable to me without mods. It IS pretty unusual for a game to require guides if it's made for a mainstream audience.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 28, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »

The only exception to that which I've found so far is Minecraft, but even that game I disliked for a long time and the only reason I play it now is because the mods make it an entirely different game.

The mods are to fix some of the annoyances of the game, like broken speech and to add things like sleeping bags so you don't have to wander around the night time.

And you shouldn't have to require a game to have the research built in for you in order to play it. It lacks a good tutorial, so did DF.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 28, 2011, 05:20:38 pm »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is not that complicated. Poorly documented, poorly labeled in game, maybe......but comparing it to DF? It's not rocket science.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 28, 2011, 05:39:43 pm »

TBH, the best way to learn STALKER is to play it. Maybe watch a few LPs. Yes, you will die, and frequently. It's the nature of the game.

Anyone who hasn't enjoyed ShOC, I heartily recommend you install the Complete mod for it. Fixes a lot of bugs and such.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 28, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »

Such as... equipping an artifact and die of radiation poisoning.

Tip from a newb: Save Often. I'll look into those mods...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1169 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »

Really? STALKER isn't exactly ARMA II or whatever, I remember plinking away with a terrible pistol that couldn't kill anything in vanilla SoC before looting a shotgun that I could actually do damage with- at about point blank, which isn't exactly very realistic. A lot of mods improve the realism, but you can say that about a lot of games. But what STALKER, especially modded though I've heard good things about CoP, does well is immersion.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 1134