Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459772 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1110 on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:53 pm »

I wasn't that impressed by FEAR 1 & 2, but they aren't terrible.  I think 7 dollars for both is a pretty decent deal.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1111 on: October 27, 2011, 03:57:44 pm »

"The Multiplayer component of F.E.A.R. is no longer available. This title is Single Player only."

So, that blows that door.

I'll probably end up getting it anyways.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 27, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »

really everything you just listed (maybe not Ghostbusters). First Dead Space i enjoyed, more horror than its current sequel.

Actually, I already have Bioshock 1+2 and Dead Space on PS3. I was just listing awesome games that are on sale. Bought the Penumbra Collection, Amnesia, Bloodlines, and Ghostbusters (hey, $2.50, what the hell) for a little over fifteen bucks. C:

The only ones I'm not sure about are any of the Fear collection, Borderlands, and Bioshock 2. Are those any good?

I assume you've already played the first Bioshock (otherwise buy that immediately). The second one is a pretty solid sequel, it adds enough to feel new without losing sight of the original. Combat and upgrades are expanded and polished, the story and overall immersion aren't quite as good as the first one. But Bioshock was one of my favourite games in terms of story and immersion, so when I say "not quite as good as Bioshock 1" I really mean "still excellent".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 27, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »

Damn. I did want to get Amnesia and Bioshock at some point, not to mention Stalker and DMC4, but I shouldn't be spending anymore money, being jobless and all..

.. Right? D:

Well they will probably be cheap again during the winter sale, so you could wait a month and a half.  :D

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 27, 2011, 05:05:03 pm »

Balls! there are a lot of games on that list...

Must have games:
Vampire: Bloodlines - Really excellent action RPG. I believe it has its own thread somewhere on the forums.
Terraria - Build and craft blah blah, if you don't know about it read the giant thread here.
Plants vs Zombies - Great casual game, good helping of humor. Many hours of fun to be had.

Good games:
Overlord - Definitly not free of issues and clearly not a game about being evil. First one actually had a really awesome story and twist, second one is more of the same. Almost a puzzle/action/strategy game.
Left 4 Dead - Good co-op fun, hilarious being the infected
Bioshock - Nothing ultra-special for a first person shooter, but a fun game none the less.
Borderlands - Another some what run of the mill shooter. Some annoying bosses but generally a good time. Better with friends.

Just worth the money:
SPAZ - This game is mostly a grind. You do a lot of the same thing over and over trying to get the exact gear you want. The humor is hit or miss and the plot twist is kind of meh. Still fun and worth 11 bucks. Suggestion; play on a smaller galaxy. If you play on a larger one you'll only explore 1/3 of it.
Zombie Driver - Really a meh game. Mindless fun.

Games people will disagree with me on:
STALKER: Bad. I didn't like this game at all. It was slow and clunky and often hard to tell exactly why things were happening. It never sat right with me. It is like they were aiming for an Action RPG but took out almost all the fun RPG aspects (like leveling and trading for sweet gear) but left in the travel time and funky controls.
Dungeons: Good. Fun theme park constuction game. A lot of people get hung up on the fact that you have to make heroes happy just to kill them. A lot of people expected Dungeon Master + Tower defense. In reality it plays more like roller coaster tycoon.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 27, 2011, 05:09:59 pm »

Vampire: Bloodlines - Really excellent action RPG. I believe it has its own thread somewhere on the forums.

Ah, I was wondering about that one.  I guess I'll pick it up.  Thanks!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:03 pm »

Be warned: running it on Windows 7 requires the completion of many dark and arcane tasks.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 27, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »

Be warned: running it on Windows 7 requires the completion of many dark and arcane tasks.

I don't believe in practicing voodoo.  Maybe I'll avoid it then.   :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 27, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »

Eh, it runs perfectly for me.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 27, 2011, 06:49:45 pm »

Ghost Master is excellent.  It has very litte replay value, but the experience the first time through is worth it.  Solid entry in a neglected genre.  If you liked the theme/tycoon games, it is very different but it will be up your alley anyway!

No multiplayer, no skirmish, just one campaign (you can play old missions with upgraded characters)...but like I said, the first playthrough is totally worth the admission.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »

I don't believe in practicing voodoo.  Maybe I'll avoid it then.   :P

The game just goes crazy with textures if you have over 3GB of RAM, it fails to detect available memory and defaults to worse-than-Quake 1 textures. There's a simple patched exe (or was it instructions to patch an exe? I think you just need to change a single byte, anyone here could probably do that for you) that basically tells the game that there's plenty of memory, so it works fine (I didn't realize it until I finished the first map :()

https://iain.cx/articles/bloodlines/index.html?part5

I think it works fine on 32-bit Windows.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:43:23 pm by Sergius »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »

I have way more ram than 2 Gigs.

But whatever I ended up getting it anyway.  I'll figure it out when I get around to playing it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 27, 2011, 09:38:05 pm »

Really? I have 4 GB of RAM on XP (XP only sees 3.5), and it's working fine. Of course, I'm using the unofficial patch, as anyone playing the game should be.

Edit: Using? Used. I got halfway or two thirds of the way through the game before getting to a boss that seemed to be unbeatable with my character.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:39:51 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »

Ghost Master may not have a ton of replay value, but I find myself replaying it at least once every couple of years, because it's just that good.

And Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.....you really cannot pass it up. I OWN it already and because someone has had my copy for years....I'm gonna buy it again anyways!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:41:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 27, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »

Really? I have 4 GB of RAM on XP (XP only sees 3.5), and it's working fine. Of course, I'm using the unofficial patch, as anyone playing the game should be.

Edit: Using? Used. I got halfway or two thirds of the way through the game before getting to a boss that seemed to be unbeatable with my character.

Yeah, my bad, the problem is having ~3.5-4GB or more on Windows 64 bit, since it will correctly report (and use) the bytes that 32-bit Windows ignores. Since the game thinks 4GB is the maximum you could have, it thinks you don't have almost any video RAM. (the reason you only see 3.5 GB instead of 4 is because 32-bit includes any external memory sources such as videocards, sound cards, etc - they can only ADD UP to 4GB).
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 1134