Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459558 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #885 on: August 07, 2011, 03:21:54 pm »

Reason why I should wait untill I buy DLC. On the plus side, I only lost 5 dollars, since I only got old world blues outside of a sale.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 07, 2011, 03:34:18 pm »

25 bucks for new vegas and all dlc?

Do I want it?  How are the mods?

Same general question here but since it's not a bundle pack I'd like to know what DLC (if any) is actually worth my time and/or money.

Further, is there any compelling reason to go for New Vegas over Fallout 3's GOTY pack? I seem to remember hearing that most of the F3 DLC sucked and I'd rather avoid it if that's the case.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:39:24 pm by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 07, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »

Fallout 3s DLC is mostly terrible. Broken steel also severely unbalances the game since whoever designed it thought more hp for enemys = fun challenge.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 07, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »

The Pitt is nice. It's rather short but it has good weapons, good environments and some actual real moral choices.

It's got a more industrial-punk Madmax feeling about it. Makes me wish Fallout 3 was more like it. The wasteland is boring apart from the raiders who just weren't fleshed out enough.

I'm considering getting Fallout New Vegas but I'm a bit iffy about it. I heard they improved on all the things I hated in Fallout 3 (choppy animations, terrible storyline, bland countryside and sidequests) and the hardcore system sounds nice.
The problem is I didn't like the gunplay one bit in fallout 3, it was clunky and the rpg elements seemed out of place. I'm now used to much more fps focused games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033 and I'm sure I'll still be disappointed in Fallout NV's combat.

The other problem is that the game has a 50% mark up where I live and I tempted to boycott the game due to that alone.
Any advice on the subject?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 07, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »

50% mark up?   Steamprices.com disagrees with you.

It'a also 50% off at present.  I'd offer to buy it for you if you paypal the money over to me, but you'd probably end up paying more than the difference in transaction fees.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 07, 2011, 04:17:38 pm »

The other problem is that the game has a 50% mark up where I live and I tempted to boycott the game due to that alone.

Actually it does, to within 0.03%

Only thing I can think of is talking a friend outside the country into buying you a copy, but I'm pretty sure Steam cracks down on that too. :/

KG

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 07, 2011, 04:29:51 pm »

Don't know much in the way of people overseas. I got some friends in Germany but those poor bastards have it worse than us for games.

I'm still not sold on wheter I'll enjoy Fallout NV or not. Fallout 3 was a good time sink but it wasn't much more than that. A time sink is not what I'm currently looking for.  Life is busy, y'know?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 07, 2011, 04:42:20 pm »

You can finish NV pretty quickly if that's what you want to do. Or you can run around exploring and doing optional quests and whatnot instead. Or you can stop playing after a while like I did and occasionally go back to it and never finish the game because the game ends when you do so.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 07, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

Well Fallout 3 could be completed very quickly as well. I remember stumbling acorss my father and skipping a few chapters by mistake.

Is there a point in doing the sidequests in NV? In fallout 3 I was rolling in cash and the game was piss easy even on the hardest setting with the lowest Endurance.
I didn't have much motivation to complete the sidequests apart from the terrible voice acting and story lines. I managed to grudge through the majority of them because I was determined to get my money worth but they weren't really that fun for me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 07, 2011, 05:45:09 pm »

Ahh, I though s/he was european.  I'd be more than happy to buy it for you if you can send me the digicash first.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 07, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »

Actually it does, to within 0.03%

Only thing I can think of is talking a friend outside the country into buying you a copy, but I'm pretty sure Steam cracks down on that too. :/

KG
To what I know they only mind if people use proxies to bypass region pricing. If they can convince some actual person from other countries to buy it for them, it's fair game.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 07, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »

Is it odd that I see $5 for a DLC for a game I haven't played in months and never finished, and conclude that despite being (apparently) 50% off, it's not worth buying, because I've gotten so many excellent games for $5 in Steam's previous sales that by comparison this looks overpriced?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 07, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »

Is it odd that I see $5 for a DLC for a game I haven't played in months and never finished, and conclude that despite being (apparently) 50% off, it's not worth buying, because I've gotten so many excellent games for $5 in Steam's previous sales that by comparison this looks overpriced?

I think most DLC is overpriced. If a game costs $50 and i play it for 50 hours, 1.5 hour DLC shouldn't cost me $10, should it?

But you logic seems sound nonetheless.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 08, 2011, 11:07:32 am »

I think most DLC is overpriced. If a game costs $50 and i play it for 50 hours, 1.5 hour DLC shouldn't cost me $10, should it?

But you logic seems sound nonetheless.
Kinda hope this thread would give some logic, hell i haven't been on steam for weeks since the summer sales, anything still good up?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 14, 2011, 03:47:18 am »

Fun Fact! For the next 8 hours, Greed Corp is $3.33 (67% off) and you should buy it.

Haha, oh wow, I have got to stop checking Steam Sales. I've amassed almost 50 games in less than a year :|
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 1134