Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459527 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #855 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:40 pm »

KF is Unreal 2.5, heavily modified.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 25, 2011, 09:58:02 pm »

Is Shattered Horizon any good? Heard the multiplayer was dead or dying.

Guess it was a bit flawed from the start, the high level graphics are usally better reserved for single player where you can best observe them. Not multiplayer where things like bloom and freinds are a small disadvantage.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12:47 am »

Is Shattered Horizon any good? Heard the multiplayer was dead or dying.

Guess it was a bit flawed from the start, the high level graphics are usally better reserved for single player where you can best observe them. Not multiplayer where things like bloom and freinds are a small disadvantage.

That's that strange space game, right? I played that during a free weekend, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Totally-confusing level design was the first issue - imagine a standard FPS, except every bit of terrain looks exactly like every other bit. Then remember that, since you're in spaaaaaaaaace!, you might end up viewing said terrain from upside-down. Navigation becomes a crap-shoot unless you've got a really good memory.

Then, realize that the 'awshum grafiks' really don't matter when they're mostly just rendering large gray asteroids, or large, shiny metal walls, with the odd person twinkling in the distance.

Then, realize that said person twinkling in the distance has a Counterstrike-style sniper rifle and will happily peg your head from halfway across the map. Hence, navigating the hard-to-visualize interior structures is pretty much mandatory.

Oh, and it was up for a free weekend at the time, which generally means the game is in trouble. That was, oh, at least a year ago. So, yeah, I wouldn't count on an active community.

Long story short? Skip it. At the very least, wait until another free weekend comes around. I have to give the devs credit for trying a strange new idea; I also have to fault them for totally failing to live up to it.  :(

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 26, 2011, 12:33:23 am »

Actually, I'd have to say it's a highly amazing and tactical game that suffered from a few mistakes - namely forcing it on dx10+ only and that people don't like new IP that requires much practice.

The game itself is extremely tactical and has great polish. You cannot run around in this game like other FPS, you will have to assume will be shot at from all angles if you move out into the open.

This is not a run and gun type game, this is a "you're in space so better use your damn head like Ender Wiggin" type game. Some might say that this encourages camping. Well, duh. This isn't Halo. It is a quasi-realistic space shooter, and one of the only few out there.

The MP has a few servers that during US evenings fill up, and the people are all really good, but other than that, yeah - that's why the devs had to add bots. Still pretty fun for $5 - I got it for free from when I bought my graphics card.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:27 am »

Don't remind me of Halo Wars Kael.

I didn't even buy it and I can feel the blow made to RTS everywhere. (Though I knew the game was bad the second the Jeeps couldn't run soldiers over...)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 26, 2011, 05:59:43 am »

Don't remind me of Halo Wars Kael.

I didn't even buy it and I can feel the blow made to RTS everywhere. (Though I knew the game was bad the second the Jeeps couldn't run soldiers over...)
They could run people over. Still not a great game, though.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 26, 2011, 06:21:09 am »

Sounds like I'll give that Shattered Horrizon a miss then.
I like my tactical shooters with quick save/load and my feet firmly on the ground.  :P

Still an interesting concept. Sounds like it would of went much better if it was single player focused though.

Euarchus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 30, 2011, 06:56:20 pm »

Vampire the Masquerade: bloodlines is on a sale. In the UK it's less than 4 pound, which is incredible value.

I loved that game, the first 3/4 or so is just fantastic - the best RPG experience I've had since Baldur's Gate 2 and Deus Ex. Strong characters, big gameplay ramifications from playing different classes (playing as the mental ones, can't remember their names, is especially enjoyable) and lots of ways to complete most quests. It's really really good. Get's a bit dull right at the end (too much fighting) but it's worth it.

I just wish someone would turn the World of Darkness p'n'p setting into a larger, even more amitious RPG, it'd be awesome.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 30, 2011, 07:17:34 pm »

I just wish someone would turn the World of Darkness p'n'p setting into a larger, even more amitious RPG, it'd be awesome.
CCP, the people who make EVE online, are making the WoD MMO.

WoD MMORPG

A merger between Crowd Control Productions and White Wolf, Inc. was announced at the annual Eve Online fanfest in Reykjavík, Iceland, in November 2006. As part of the deal, it was announced that White Wolf would be adapting the Eve Online intellectual property into a RPG, and CCP explicitly stated "There will be a World of Darkness Online", referring to a MMORPG version of the game. According to news at the time, work had already begun on the WoD MMORPG and full time production was to commence within the year and launch in 4–5 years.[1]

As of January 2008, full production of the WoD MMORPG was scheduled start March 2009 after the Eve Online expansion was finished according to CCP.[2] Official confirmation that the game is currently in development surfaced in Aug 2009 on the official CCP web site.[3]

The game will be based on Vampire: The Masquerade and "will have a focus on player politics and social interaction." It is scheduled to launch in 2012 at the earliest.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Darkness

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 02, 2011, 04:21:39 am »

Honestly, VtM:B comes out to like 3.5 or so games. The Nosferatu play differently from anything else, the Malkavian run is just nuts, and everything else has substantial variations.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 02, 2011, 09:59:45 pm »

75% off Paradox stuff. Oh man. This is impossible to resist effectively.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

God I need to get the money for the Paradox Strategy Pack right now oh my god

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 03, 2011, 03:54:07 am »

Argh steam, I did not want to spend any more money on video games this month... Completing my Paradox collection is calling me.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 03, 2011, 04:30:46 am »

Which is better HOI 2 or 3?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 03, 2011, 04:35:07 am »

Which is better HOI 2 or 3?