Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459431 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #765 on: July 10, 2011, 03:44:34 am »

Pretty much every Paradox game does. It's handled automatically, but you have to enter the key in a form on Paradox's forum in order to register (to access tech support for the game, and show that you have the game on that forum, etc)

Warband also acted as a trial version instead of the full version when Steam failed to issue proper keys due to having run out of them during a previous sale. EU3:Complete, thank Gods, didn't do that despite also having an invalid key.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:30 am »

I was under the impression before that Valve would have to buy X copies of a game at whatever price the developer sold it to them at, and then sell it themselves for whatever price they thought they could get the best profit (including rate of sales) at. Which, I think, is the same way an actual store would do it.

Still makes sense to me, considering how they seem to over-sell and give out bad keys to some games during these sales, but I don't actually know how they actually do it, so yeah. Are we all speculating or does someone actually have accurate information?
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a partner sort of deal, since it's electronic. They get a license or something, and sell it but pay royalties.

EDIT: Emailed the terraia contact email, and got a fairly fast reply.
Hi Breadbocks,

I can't discuss with you too much about how steam works, because we have to sign a Non disclosure agreement when working with them.
However I can tell you that so far, from what I've found out, it looks like it was a mistake on steams part, that they later corrected. I was shocked to see the price change too.

At the same time that the game was on sale with 75% off in the steam store, the "daily news" update popup was showing 50%. This was the correct price all along. It seems like it just took someone a long time to become aware of their mistake.

Regards

Tiy
So yup. It was steam who fucked up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:53:36 am by breadbocks »
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 10, 2011, 08:55:32 am »

I was under the impression before that Valve would have to buy X copies of a game at whatever price the developer sold it to them at, and then sell it themselves for whatever price they thought they could get the best profit (including rate of sales) at. Which, I think, is the same way an actual store would do it.

Still makes sense to me, considering how they seem to over-sell and give out bad keys to some games during these sales, but I don't actually know how they actually do it, so yeah. Are we all speculating or does someone actually have accurate information?
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's a partner sort of deal, since it's electronic. They get a license or something, and sell it but pay royalties.
I've remember reading sometime ago it was something like 60% to the developer and 40% to steam. That said, my memory is not all that good, and it may also vary from game to game, depending on the contract.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 10, 2011, 09:21:57 am »

So, I'm considering neverwinter nights two, is it worth seven dollars?
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 10, 2011, 09:29:07 am »

I'd say yeah.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 10, 2011, 11:37:17 am »

So, I'm considering neverwinter nights two, is it worth seven dollars?

I preferred the first NWN, but the 2nd Platinum is worth 7 dollars.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 10, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »

Just buy this. Don't even think about it. Just add it to your cart and buy it right now.

Yup, definitely worth it.

Also, Magicka is back up today.  I bought the 4 pack when it was a daily deal and played through it with family...it was hysterical, even with some bugs.  Highly recommended if you can run it.

KG

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 10, 2011, 01:36:44 pm »

Can someone help me figure out how to get Hammerfight's local multiplayer working? I tried with a friend and things did not happen.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

doomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 10, 2011, 02:02:08 pm »

Also, Magicka is back up today.  I bought the 4 pack when it was a daily deal and played through it with family...it was hysterical, even with some bugs.  Highly recommended if you can run it.

what a shame that i have no money for it :/

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #775 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »

ok i need help deciding. Never played any of the Dawn of War games. I dont think I want to shell out for all of them, should I get the original Dawn of War 2 games or should I get Retribution?
I got nothing

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 10, 2011, 10:03:07 pm »

ok i need help deciding. Never played any of the Dawn of War games. I dont think I want to shell out for all of them, should I get the original Dawn of War 2 games or should I get Retribution?

Singleplayer? Original.
Multiplayer? Retribution.

So, I picked up AI Wars + DLC and was wondering if anyone here would like a game?

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 10, 2011, 11:55:53 pm »

You need Dawn of War 2 to play Retribution. It's an expansion pack.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:22 am »

I would just ignore the DoW RTS games. I played them, and the maps are the equivalent of a piece of paper with lines drawn on it. There is no height advantage, and all attacks can pass through and surface, like a bullet passing through 30 feet of metal and concrete and not losing any firepower. The terrain is only there for borders and looks.

Not to mention the community a bunch of hypocritical stubborn idiots.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #779 on: July 11, 2011, 02:32:19 am »

You need Dawn of War 2 to play Retribution. It's an expansion pack.

Oh? What does it mean when they call it a stand alone expansion then?
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 1134