Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454132 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9810 on: November 07, 2014, 04:36:17 am »

Damn. FFXIV ARR is on sale on Steam. I bought it a few days back. Knew I should've waited for my trial to end. :[

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: November 07, 2014, 04:40:50 am »

Wolfenstein New Order appears to be 50% off on steam for the weekend. Still a bit pricey, but I recommend it for anyone who likes single-player shooters. You need to have a good PC though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9812 on: November 07, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »

Metro 2033 for free at HB for 1 year anniversary.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: November 10, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »

Valkyria Chronicles is $15 (25% off) on Getgames right now for Steam key.

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/valkyria-chronicles

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »

Valkyria Chronicles is $15 (25% off) on Getgames right now for Steam key.

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/valkyria-chronicles

You can also get it for 31% off ($13.85) on GMG right now if you go through the VIP section.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: November 10, 2014, 06:27:01 pm »

Oh man, I wish I knew that. The GMG coupon they emailed me expired on Friday so I thought they didn't have a deal. Oh well, it's like a dollar 24 cent difference.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:16 pm »

Dominions 4 is 25% off on steam until the 17th.

It's a pretty cool game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: November 10, 2014, 09:02:34 pm »

Dominions 4 is 25% off on steam until the 17th.

It's a pretty cool game.
It looks a lot like Dominions 3. I mean, a lot. Is there any point in spending $26 on this if you already have the previous game?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »

That's come up a few times.

Check posts #894 through #908.

At a reread the comments seem to have an MP bent, but #905 in particular has stuff that's equally valid for both SP&MP perspectives. New sprites do look better, but lot of it is mechanics changes that can be hard to appraise at a glance.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:50 pm »

The difference between Dom3 and Dom4 is much like that between 1 and 2, I think.  I rather enjoy it quite a bit, and I think it was worth the cost, but I can see where some might disagree.  Some things you get in Dominions 4 that are new:

1. New game type: Disciples.  Essentially, multiplayer teams where one player plays a Pretender God and their teammates play the disciples of that God, and all team members win together.
2. Thrones.  Replacing the old Victory Points, Thrones are in-game sites that have tangible effects ranging from unique commanders, gems, dominion spread, bless bonuses, and events. 
3. New nations and pretenders.  Some of these are old Dom2 themes given their own nation (Scelera and Asphodel), but many are new.
4. Tweaks and revisions to reduce micromanagement.  Examples include displaying mage paths right on the unit display (no more renaming mages stuff like "F2S2W1N9") and the removal of the tax scale.
5. New map features, including mountain passes (passable only when the snow is melted - both sides have a Heat scale) and rivers (passable only when frozen - both sides have a Cold scale).  Movement rules were also changed, which makes terrain much more important strategically.
6. Research rebalancing.  Rather than racing straight into the late game, research is now scaled exponentially to encourage the use of national armies for longer.
7. Slow-to-recruit units.  New feature to rebalance certain powerful mages or commanders, which now require two turns to recruit.  This also encourages the use of cheaper mages that can be spammed every turn.
8. Gem refiners have gone the way of the dodo.  Now, so they are used the way they're intended, they work to produce temporary gems only in battle.  See 4.

EDIT:
Oh, I entirely forgot...
9. Repel.  Spears and weapon reach now work defensively as well as offensively - if you're holding daggers and facing a pike wall, it's going to be pretty hard to get through to stab someone.  This makes spears a bit more useful, and makes for a better balance between whether you need the sheer killing power of swords or axes versus the stand-off ability of spears.

EDIT 2: And I should probably finish my sentences before I get distracted by- ooh shiny
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:19:44 pm by Culise »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: November 10, 2014, 09:15:19 pm »

At a reread the comments seem to have an MP bent, but #905 in particular has stuff that's equally valid for both SP&MP perspectives. New sprites do look better, but lot of it is mechanics changes that can be hard to appraise at a glance.

My own opinion is that Dominions isn't worth owning at all unless you're going to play against other people. Singleplayer isn't completely awful, but I wouldn't recommend a purchase to anyone who doesn't have an interest in multiplayer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:17:42 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: November 10, 2014, 09:17:05 pm »

Depends on how much you loved Dominions 3, I suppose. Yeah, the graphics haven't changed but is that really all that surprising? What you're really getting is a bunch of needed mechanics tweaks to make the game more fair/fun, and the Thrones of Ascension which turns the base game from a slow slog of trying to murder everyone to claiming and holding certain points on the map, which means that matches are quicker and more interesting to play. Also you're getting a ton of new nations and updates to old nations that make them more balanced and interesting to play.

So even if you don't consider the difference between 3 and 4 enough to warrent an entirely new game you're still getting enough new content to fill out a sizable expansion pack. So if you liked Dominions 3, you can't go wrong with purchasing 4 and enjoying all of the new content.

Or something. That's just my 2 cents.

FAKEEDIT: Plus what all of those other people said.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: November 10, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »

My own opinion is that Dominions isn't worth owning at all unless you're going to play against other people. Singleplayer isn't completely awful, but I wouldn't recommend a purchase to anyone who doesn't have an interest in multiplayer.

While I agree with you, I really must mention that I've seen enough self professed SP-only players say they enjoy the game a lot (here, desura and on steam).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:02 pm »

Yeah... I'll just note going back and playing D3 is almost physically painful, now. The myriad little quality of life improvements add up to make popping back to play the older game an exercise in minor frustration. Not necessarily saying that's reason enough to get D4 (all the other reasons tally up to that), but...

... anyway, if you hold out for another while (year, whatever), there's a pretty good chance you'll be able to get it for better than 25% off. I think it's already had at least one sale below that price point. Illwinter getting away from shrapnel has been great for Dominions lovers' pocketbooks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: November 10, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »

While I agree with you, I really must mention that I've seen enough self professed SP-only players say they enjoy the game a lot (here, desura and on steam).
Such as myself.  I've been playing since Dominions 2 (albeit that only a wee bit by comparison to most), and my very first game of multiplayer wasn't until Dominions 4, on these very forums. 
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1134