Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453694 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9630 on: October 24, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »

I think Spring is better than TA honestly. Mostly because 1) it's free. 2) it has more of everything. 3) people actually play it online.

Though I prefer SupCom to them all.... possibly due to the fact that it's shinier. And it has a campaign.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: October 24, 2014, 01:09:56 pm »

But... but TA had two campaigns!

I'm surprised no one's done campaigns in Spring yet, tbh, though it's been a while since I checked it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: October 24, 2014, 01:12:35 pm »

SupCom and Forged Alliance had 3 + 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 campaigns!!!!

And people calling me "my boy" and a bald, old HQ guy putting me down and getting fed up with my shit. Man, I love that guy. In a time when all your advisors in RTS games were unreasonably sexy girls showing off cleavage, Forged Alliance gave you a sarcastic old man who didn't give a fuck about you.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: October 24, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »

On a semi-related note, I took one look at the box art for RA3 and immediately didn't want to buy it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: October 24, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »

On a semi-related note, I took one look at the box art for RA3 and immediately didn't want to buy it.

Really? Red Alert has had that sort of mentality for quite awhile.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: October 24, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »

True, sure, but it was a bit blatant for me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9636 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:53 pm »

I specifically left out RA3 :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: October 24, 2014, 01:39:30 pm »

I don't think anything about that game was supposed to be taken seriously. I urge you to watch the opening cinema. It's kinda funny.

Anyway, yeah, the trend of games to use pretty ladies on box art completely regardless of the game's actual content has been a vexing habit for ages. Since we're discussing games here, and not advertising for said games, and it's 2014 and you're going to download them instead of buying a box anyway, I suggest that if you want to have that discussion you move it to a new thread.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: October 24, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »

Yeah, I'll shut up now; derailed this enough.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: October 24, 2014, 01:58:24 pm »

But... but TA had two campaigns!
... TA had four. Plus a set of mission-things. Both sides for base & Core Contingency, plus that... battle something or other.

That said, yeah, if you're looking for a TA-like, as noted, give Spring a shot first. Then supcom, probably with FA. Consider not considering supcom 2 -- it's supposedly a pretty alright thing, in and of itself, just notably worse than supcom 1 + expansion. Looks bad in comparison, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: October 24, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »

Spring isn't just for the straight TA clones, there is a WWII game built on the same engine:  http://springrts.com/wiki/Games

The SEGA weekend at the Humble Store includes sales on most of the Total War franchise.  I haven't picked up the new Shogun or Rome ones, but I've heard pretty poor things about Rome 2?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: October 24, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »

I don't think anything about that game was supposed to be taken seriously. I urge you to watch the opening cinema. It's kinda funny.
Wow, thanks for this.  I knew Red Alert was an interesting setting but I had no idea it was this cool...  Yeah it's kinda funny, but definitely within my suspension of disbelief.  C&C Red Alert 1 was neat, but this looks much better.

Anyway, yeah, the trend of games to use pretty ladies on box art completely regardless of the game's actual content has been a vexing habit for ages. Since we're discussing games here, and not advertising for said games, and it's 2014 and you're going to download them instead of buying a box anyway, I suggest that if you want to have that discussion you move it to a new thread.
Agreed
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: October 24, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »

Honestly I hadn't seen the box art, but gameplay-wise the whole Command and Conquer franchise went downhill for me in Tiberian Sun. It just felt too... gimmicky, and I was really mad that after giving the GDI walker tanks, a big air force, the railgun mammoth, blah blah blah... and then giving Nod... the same stuff as the first game, with longer-range artillery... it felt like they spent zero effort on the more interesting side because EVIL! EEEEVIL!

I lost interest in the whole thing after that, so if you're a fan of the old ones and haven't played newer, it could be an issue when considering a purchase.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: October 24, 2014, 02:48:00 pm »

Tib wars 4 looked awful. They completely trashed the building aspect that made the franchise so popular.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: October 24, 2014, 02:54:14 pm »

I ignored tib wars 4 as soon as i knew it would have no base building.
RA3 on the other hand is good, just sillier than the others. If you come expecting it to be serious you will be sorely disappointed, and should probably pick one of the others. Its to the point where they removed the non-AI multiplayer if you are playing Uprising so they could add more silly in the form of a extra campaign an an OP unit per side.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 1134