Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453698 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9585 on: October 23, 2014, 10:48:07 am »

What happened to the, like, 4 or 5 intelligent LP'ers who would just record a good, clean run and THEN record the voiceover later when they were free to script themselves and do both well? Why did that stop being a thing?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:54 am »

http://www.gamersgate.com/campaign/86/fallout-weekend

Gamersgate is hosting 75% off all Fallout games. Pretty neat if for some reason you don't have them yet.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure GG or GMG gave me a free copy of Fallout Tactics at some point. I should probably try replaying that again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: October 23, 2014, 11:43:32 am »

I think it's just intended audience; some people are coming to see the game done correctly/quickly/completely/insightfully, while others are looking for cheap laughs.  Neither way is wrong, it's just different.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »

My first thought watching a Yogscast was, "I'm not 12 and what is this?"

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: October 23, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »

I apologize for bringing it up. I was not intending to start a circlejerk, just giving people an option to see what a brand new game that wasn't even released yet is like.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9590 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »

Sorry again for the partial derail. Just to clarify what I meant: it's not that I think the Yogscast is objectively *good*, it's just that I think it's unfair of people to say it's objectively *bad*. It's a matter of taste. I have no problem with people saying they don't like it or it's not their cup of tea, but it does bother me when people say things like "it's terrible" and "everything they do is awful" and things like that. Personally, I've been a serious gamer my whole life, but I've never been *good* at games. I like watching people like me, who are not great at the game but enjoy playing it (especially with their friends), and who are reasonably funny often enough to keep me smiling. I've never been someone who enjoys the perfectly choreographed action films full of unrealistic people. I prefer to watch silly comedies about imperfect people who do ridiculous things and get themselves into trouble. That's what LPs are about for me. Recording it first and then doing a voiceover afterwards takes the spontaneity out of it, and it's not possible when you've got a group of people fumbling about together. It's interesting to me that others compare watching gamers to watching musicians... To me, watching live music isn't about the musicians, but the music itself. I enjoy it, but I just don't see it in the same way. I'm not watching it to see skill or perfection, I'm just watching it to see something fun that makes me laugh.

Also, keep in mind, when you say "that thing isn't good" or "it's only useful for a cheap laugh," you're also implying that people who like it have poor taste, which is nonsense. Saying "I don't like the Yogscast" is perfectly fine. Saying "the Yogscast is a bunch of garbage fit only for 12-year-olds" is insulting not only to them, but to me and everyone else who likes them.

So, conclusion: everyone has their own tastes, and that's absolutely fine. But I really dislike it when I see anyone make an absolute statement about something being "good" or "bad," or start throwing around insulting terms, which is really all based on personal opinion.

Sorry again, this is the sales thread, not the Yogscast discussion thread. I'd suggest making a new thread to continue this conversation, but I can't imagine that lasting long without devolving into a flame war, so maybe it's best if I just bow out, having said my piece, and hope everyone understands my point and try to be respectful of each other's opinions. : )

I'm done now! Lips zipped. : X

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: October 23, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »

there's nothing wrong with a cheap laugh NO BAD TOASTER

Any good RTS games going on sale lately?  My dad's looking for one and he just got on Steam.  He tried Company of Heroes over the weekend, but it wasn't his taste; he's a big fan of the first Red Alert and AoEII.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: October 23, 2014, 02:01:35 pm »

http://www.gamersgate.com/campaign/86/fallout-weekend

Gamersgate is hosting 75% off all Fallout games. Pretty neat if for some reason you don't have them yet.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure GG or GMG gave me a free copy of Fallout Tactics at some point. I should probably try replaying that again.

How exactly does Gamersgate handle DRM? I'm not sure if I want to just wait for Steam to put FNV on 75% off and thereby pay less or if I can get a copy from there with less DRM.

On another note, Bundlestars has a Lord of the Rings bundle featuring primarily Lego LOTR and Lego The Hobbit, along with War in the North and some crummy MOBA. Buy 'em alone from Steam for twenty bucks each or together in the bundle for ten total if you're into the Lego series of games.
From what I understand: Minor inbuilt DRM in the downloader/installer, the rest is up for the developer. Most or all of it is discriminated in each game's page though.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »

How exactly does Gamersgate handle DRM? I'm not sure if I want to just wait for Steam to put FNV on 75% off and thereby pay less or if I can get a copy from there with less DRM.
From what casual research I've done, Fallout 3 is DRM free on Steam, so NV might be as well. Not sure about that though, it's only an assumption.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: October 23, 2014, 02:30:54 pm »

I don't think 'discriminated' was the word you were looking for there Felius, but I'm pretty sure its correct otherwise.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: October 23, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »

New Vegas uses Steam no matter where you buy it from

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:09 pm »

On another note, Bundlestars has a Lord of the Rings bundle featuring primarily Lego LOTR and Lego The Hobbit, along with War in the North and some crummy MOBA. Buy 'em alone from Steam for twenty bucks each or together in the bundle for ten total if you're into the Lego series of games.

Thank you!  Bought!

I already had LEGO LOTR from when Greenman put it on sale, but I'm glad to get LEGO Hobbit.  Plus DLC, whatever comes with that.

Quote from: many
Yogscast.

My thoughts: when I want a game review, I want just that: a review of the game.  I don't want to be “entertained” by the “amusing” antics of “celebrities”.  Air-quotes intended.

I have a really low tolerance for that.  (As well as for most amateur lets-play's, which I've ranted about before.)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9597 on: October 23, 2014, 03:14:41 pm »

New weekly bundle on Humble features "educational" games -- but, on the whole, they appear to be pretty good ones. I just grabbed the middle tier. Been meaning to try a few of these for a while, actually.

Base: Type:Rider, Ludwig, Crazy Plant Shop
BTA: Sokobond, Influent (with one language)
$9: Contraption Maker, The Counting Kingdom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »

Quote from: many
Yogscast.

My thoughts: when I want a game review, I want just that: a review of the game.  I don't want to be “entertained” by the “amusing” antics of “celebrities”.  Air-quotes intended.

I have a really low tolerance for that.  (As well as for most amateur lets-play's, which I've ranted about before.)
I've never considered LPs of all kinds to be game reviews, at best they're informative or entertaining, or they're speedruns. If I want a review, I look for a review.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #9599 on: October 23, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »

Regarding the request for classic-style RTS recommendations:
I would first ask if he's played OpenRA? It's an open source and free recreation of the engine Westwood built the original C&C, Red Alert, and Dune 2k on. Definitely worth the time. (But don't bother trying to install from CD, it's glitchy at best.)

Then there would be the obvious choice of RA2. Very similar gameplay to RA1, with updated graphics and many UI improvements.
Also classic style is of course StarCraft (and Brood War).

If he's not bothered by a large increase in graphics, then C&C Generals (and Zero Hour) are great as well. Bit less rooted in the classic style, but very fun in a similar way as well. (Increased presence of research compared to RA1&2, but less critical than CoH.)

Can also recommend he try out Supreme Commander at some point.

An explanation of why he didn't like CoH would be good, so I know what direction to take further recommendations.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1134