Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455145 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9135 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:56 pm »

Title is a bit misleading (curse you guys for getting rid of the STEAM sales topic :P), but the thread is very much about video game sales and nothing but.

As for Pufferfish, you might want to check the general computer thread over at Life Advice section. There seems to be a collection of knowledgeable chaps there.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: August 05, 2014, 05:00:34 pm »

Title is a bit misleading (curse you guys for getting rid of the STEAM sales topic :P), but the thread is very much about video game sales and nothing but.

As for Pufferfish, you might want to check the general computer thread over at Life Advice section. There seems to be a collection of knowledgeable chaps there.

Hah, worth a shot. Will do!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: August 05, 2014, 05:32:57 pm »

free to play for a day like some of their limited offers, or free to add to your library forever as long as you do it today?  I cant quite tell by reading it.

nm, looks like its free to add to your library forever.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:34:28 pm by puke »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: August 05, 2014, 05:50:21 pm »

Looks like $200 might be the price for the Meridian 4 pack. I'm not saying this is the case in this instance, but if a game isn't normally for sale on Steam on its own, you usually get the price of whatever pack contains it, IIRC.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: August 05, 2014, 06:09:09 pm »

After clicking the "Install Game" button, it says it's registered to my Steam account, and the page now says I own it.  So I'm pretty sure this is another giveaway rather than a demo.

I've played a few of the games in the pack, they were alright...  I didn't try any of the adventure games, maybe they have more character.

Alpha Prime is a decent shooter, looks a bit similar to Red Faction 2 but with better graphics.  Ran fine.  A surprisingly complete plot is delivered by several voice acted NPCs, mostly over radio, with their own agendas.  It's nothing too innovative or complex, but it does the job well.  There's a gimmick of hacking security cameras and turrets wirelessly, it's not a factor in most fights which keeps it from getting repetitive.  Final boss was cool.

Space Trader Merchant Marine is too bland and repetitive.  Trading is boring and mostly pointless, and the sub-missions on each world are impossible to take seriously.  The shooting is very basic.  I don't remember most characters being VA'd.  Budget title, and it shows.

Obulis:  If you want a puzzle game like this, you're better off on a Flash arcade.
Penguins Arena: Same... I think this was part of the Portal 2 potato ARG.  Never played it again.

Vigil Blood Bitterness:  I launched this and couldn't figure out what anything was.  I think it was just an obtuse artsy UI, but maybe it was actually broken.  Uninstalled.  Kinda like EYE but way less playable (Which, despite EYE's redeeming qualities, is saying something)

Tank Universal:  Interesting game.  Centered around strategic first-person tank combat, with resource production and structures.  I found it too difficult, but it's worth the current $1.24 and I'm reinstalling it now.

I recommend going through the list, at least.  Most of the games are $1.24, and I bet most of the adventure games are probably worth that in B-movie value.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:12:00 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: August 05, 2014, 06:32:45 pm »

I thought the Syberia games were pretty good, when I played them ages ago. Some of the other adventure games look... much less good.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: August 05, 2014, 10:27:31 pm »

MAX and MAX 2 both for $2.99!
     If I didn't already have MAX, I'd consider that worthwhile, I don't consider MAX 2 worth playing.

Saw this mention, had to get it on GoG, and damn it, I started playing and am hooked. It's already crashed on me though,  then I stopped. Hopefully this isn't a recurring thing, since the alternative, MAX Reloaded, doesn't have AI...

There is a long game bug where the game will start crashing after about 300 turns, and a few other bugginess shortly before that, but it is related to how much stuff is built.  You should try not to build more than 256 of any structure, and that includes the opponents.  The roads and bridges are usually the first to bug out - you will see engineers make a halfway move to their next project if you have ordered a line of something to be built.
    MAX (one) is all about rush tactics and being done before 150 turns.

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: August 08, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »

http://www.gog.com/promo/strategy_first_codemasters_weekend_promo_080814

GOG Weekend promo. Jagged Alliance, Flatout (fun car/crashing games) and other assorted series and solo entries. Leisure Suits and some chopper sims caught my eye.

Space Empires IV, where does it rate at the grand scale of 4X's?
Also Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Does it still work or should I just look for later entries in the series?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: August 08, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

Battlefield 4 is free on Orgin right now.  Not a permanent deal, but you get it for about two weeks or so.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: August 08, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »

Couldn't quite say re: the grand scheme of things, but I would say it's a pretty decent sci-fi 4X. Is nice, definitely one of the better ones. Also some fairly expansive mods for it. I'd definitely recommend it if you can nab it for less than, say, five USD. Three bucks is a good price for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: August 08, 2014, 05:58:01 pm »

I think there is still a good online community for it.  I think I was an active player of that game for about 10 years, and I don't expect to say that about any other title.  Even DF, I take long breaks from.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: August 09, 2014, 02:47:05 am »

Also Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Does it still work or should I just look for later entries in the series?

I had a post all typed up ranting about how terrible the game was.... then I realized I own SE5, not SE4

So uh.... SE5 sucks, don't buy it.... SE4 seems more popular, but I don't own it so I'm not sure.

Also it's only $2.50 on steam instead of $3 on GoG, so if you prefer steam or really want to save 50 cents... yeah.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: August 09, 2014, 08:01:01 am »

On the other hand most games on steam (including SE4) are 2,50$ = 2,50€. GOG on the other hand actually tries to convert the price. Going by google the current rate is 3$ = 2,2€.
Even if GOG takes a chunk off I still probably save (cents, admittedly, but save nonetheless). All things being equal I prefer the less DRM'd version and this seems to be fairly equal proposition otherwise. So yeah.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: August 09, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »

I had a post all typed up ranting about how terrible the game was.... then I realized I own SE5, not SE4

Yeah, 5 was a train wreck.  It had a lot of potential, but I don't know if he bit off more than he could chew, or if he just made questionable design decisions.

We were all looking forward to more modding capabilities -- and they did show up -- but so much of it just fell flat or didnt work well. 

I remember this one thing that typified many of the design choices: some part of race design was switched from numeric values to sliders or something like this.  The justification given was not that the simpler method made the game more accessible, but just that he wanted this version of the game to feel "different" than the previous versions so he was changing things up for the sake of making it different.  Lots of things went that way, for better or for worse.

So I guess the problem with 5 might be a lack of over-arching vision or concrete design goals.  It has a lot of improved features, but they're sort of slapped together and not very cohesive.

4 is tight.  Though I guess there are still die-hard fans of 3 who beef about the ship construction system in 4, so you'll never please everyone.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: August 09, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »

In general, SE4 is considered the best of the series.  I tried to get into 5, but just couldn't; I kept wanting to play 4 again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 1134