Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455053 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #9105 on: July 25, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »

Better!, though admittedly I don't really remember the first one that well. This one is just very... Napoleonic, so if the musket era is something that intrigues you, it could be right up your alley.

It stills has some of the basic resources that you need to mine, like wood and stone, but they quickly become irrelevant because there's relatively little base building, unlike other RTSs. From then on, you need to conquer villages, which provide one of the following resources: food, needed to feed troops and create them; coal, used to fire guns; iron, used to fire guns and create troops; and gold, used for troops. If you don't have enough coal, your troops won't be able to fire. Thus, village control has strategic importance, as do the supply lines back to your home base.

There's maybe a little less unit variety, but each unit has its purpose. The combat implementation lends itself to some really cool tactics. It's unit regiment based (moreso than the first one, as far as I can remember), with roughly 90-180 units units per regiment and things like regiment formation and digging in really being important to keep morale up, moving effectively, defensive ability, etc. You also have cannons, artillery, cavalry, etc, all of which are good for different things. All the regiments have experience, meaning their maximum morale increases. Battle-tested regiments will thus be much more valuable than regiments fresh off the barracks!

I'd say this video gives you a nice overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6LA9UYajPo

It does lack a little in maps, though the Battle for Europe risk-like campaign is somewhat interesting, but doesn't explore strategy in each battle, e.g. battles are merely tactical, no basebuilding, and village control isn't a huge factor. But it makes for some faster battles. I forget what the story campaign is like... it's less free-form, but I think it gives you more of that strategising.

All in all I think it's a super solid title if you're into musket warfare and are prone to liking Cossacks-like games!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9106 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »

Cossack looked interesting, thanks for posting it.

Gamersgate has XCOM and Stardock sales, but they're fairly modest (as befits their relatively new releases), so no direct link for those.

Then there's this thing. Steam has Space Rangers 2 on sale. It's the A War Apart edition, which includes some decent technical overhauls (better resolution etc.) and some expanded content. The pirate campaign seems to be the only major change from the original SR2. In all honesty I haven't actually played it, the War Apart edition I mean. Just the original way back when it got out, and every few years since then. The base game is definitely something worth playing and all the additions of this remastering sure seem reasonable.

For those not in the know, Space Rangers is a series of Russian 2D space adventure/trading games. They mix in some text adventures and 3D RTS and surprisingly they don't suck. Both games were released (and re-re-released as the case may be with SR2) to moderate success and accolades.

At this price I'll probably pick it up if nobody convinces me otherwise.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9107 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:38 pm »

The only differences I can tell between SR2 and War Apart so far (granted, the early game is still demoralizingly, colossally slow, so I haven't gotten that far) are:

-Pirate systems in the pirate campaign still function as landable planets and can offer missions and the like.
-The RTS missions no longer let you zoom all the way in to first person when controlling a unit. Instead you're stuck at a directly overhead view which makes them more annoying and even less tactical.
-Some small quality of life stuff like being able to map multi-jump routes on the starmap.

There's no longer an option to set Dominator strength on the difficulty options, which is odd. You can set pirates' strength, but since pirate systems are almost fully usable I don't see what the point is. There may be more interesting parts to it, but I got frustrated with the early game and set it aside. If you're already a fan, it's probably worth the sale price.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9108 on: July 28, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »

One other change is the notable removal of StarForce, the only reason I refused to install SR2 from my boxed set.

Well worth the cash.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9109 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:45 pm »

So apparently Hatoful Boyfriend is going to be on Steam and is 10% off as a pre-purchase until it's available on August 21st.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9110 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:42 pm »

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:39:06 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9111 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:28 pm »

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to pick that up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9112 on: July 30, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »

The pigeon dating sim? I didn't even realize that was something you had to pay for o_o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9113 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »

Oh yeah 75% off all square enix games at humble bundle for the next like. 5 days or so. I'm picking up soul suspect.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9114 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »

Oh yeah 75% off all square enix games at humble bundle for the next like. 5 days or so. I'm picking up soul suspect.

DAIKATANA! All my money, take it!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9115 on: July 31, 2014, 07:56:31 am »

The pigeon dating sim? I didn't even realize that was something you had to pay for o_o

There's a free demo which is pretty extensive. The game is worth the money though.

Edit: This version also seems to include every bird I haven't romanced yet, so that's another reason to go for it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:59:37 am by Besserwisser »
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9116 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »

Red Faction: Guerrilla is on sale for $2. Just... just get it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9117 on: July 31, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »

DO IT.
It's way better than Armageddon.  It knows exactly what it's supposed to be.  It hands you a hammer, lots of explosives, heavy vehicles, and a bunch of really tall buildings that crumble under your fury.  It's also a decent shooter I guess, and you can rescue people by driving through walls.

Every bit of destruction is rewarded with scrap-currency, and half the buildings are "evil symbols of the evil heirarchy of evil" so destroying them strengthens your revolutionary buddies.  It's a great sandbox, and Mars is delightfully red and alien.

The obligatory, unofficial fan theme song and music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8&feature=player_embedded
Huh, I thought there was more building explosion and less civilian murder in that.  This is the best part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8&feature=player_detailpage#t=257
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:44:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9118 on: July 31, 2014, 01:10:58 pm »

Guerrilla is one of my all time favorite games.  As said, it has no problems with its identity.  And for that price, there is little reason not to get it.  There are few things funner then driving a truck through a checkpoint, gunning down two soldiers, running over a third and fourth, and then ramming a building, jumping out, fighting your way to a safe distance, and then blowing the truck and buiding sky high.  Or just bailing out moments before the vehicle hits, and then deonating the car bombs.  Of course a stray shot can send you flying on approach if they hit one of your explosives, but then you just have to improvise.   

I remember hearing somewhere that they had to make the level designers take a structural engineering course because all the buildings kept collapsing initially, since they didn't place supports properly.   

The only real complaints that I have about the game is that debris does a bit more damage then it should, and that you can't destroy the ground.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9119 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »

Good grief, I so totally want to play it again now... I get that every few years. So much fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKoBH3PA2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsdHPK8BIs

The multiplayer was sooooo good too, if only you could find people playing, which I don't think you can. Also GFWL...
Pages: 1 ... 606 607 [608] 609 610 ... 1134