Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1455089 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8865 on: June 26, 2014, 11:02:53 am »

Honestly, buying early access games is a bad idea in general.

It's like pre-ordering a game without expecting to ever get it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: June 26, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

Though Cave Story you can also get for free. Steam and fancy graphics are just a bonus imo.

It also lets you play as Curly, has optional orchestral music, some challenge modes, and the "hardcore difficulty" as an actual mode.  All just bonus stuff, but there's quite a bit of bonus.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: June 26, 2014, 11:07:42 am »

Though Cave Story you can also get for free. Steam and fancy graphics are just a bonus imo.

It also lets you play as Curly, has optional orchestral music, some challenge modes, and the "hardcore difficulty" as an actual mode.  All just bonus stuff, but there's quite a bit of bonus.
To be fair, Curly mode (from what I remember) is basically the normal story with the roles of Curly and Quote swapped, and Curly occasionally speaks. That's it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:30 am »

In general, yes. I had no problem buying KSP for $8 on release. It had plenty of features and Squad seemed to know what it was doing. They have proven themselves to be trustworthy with every release. Prison Architect was an easy choice because Introversion knows what they are doing. They have a history of good games. On the other hand, Castle Story doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Community choice on Steam is Star Wars II Battlefront with no multiplayer servers. Woot? No. No woot. Battlefront games are designed for multiple players.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:14:16 pm by BigD145 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: June 26, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »

Waking Mars is a metroidvania? I picked it up in an indie bundle once, but in the hour or so that I played it came across to me more as a as a point-and-click adventure than a metroidvania... (It's not quite parallel with actual P&C games, buts exploration and clicking.) Maybe I didn't get far enough?

Disclaimer: I feel combat is an intrinsic necessity for any "metroidvania" label.
There's combat, of a sorts, in Waking Mars. Stuff starts shooting at you and/or exploding and/or trying to eat you fairly early in the game (I think it's fairly early, anyway. I've got about 2 hours sunk in the game, going somewhat slowly, and things started trying to kill me about half way through that.). It's actually closer to what you might get if you mixed a metroidvania with a puzzle game to anything else, I say, but it's got most of what I'd consider requisite. Fairly expansive, open map, exploration, item acquisition based progression (sorta'), largely action based -- and yeah, a bit of combat.

And yeah, dust, la mulana (if you're a masochist, anyway :P), both good. Fortune Summoners is excellent, imo, but it's also closer to something like the old Monster World games (Or perhaps Popful Mail, if you're looking for something a bit more recent) than Castlevania or Metroid. Maybe akin to Demon's Crest. Also decently brutally difficult after a bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »

Waking Mars is a puzzle sim platformer.

It's kinda weird.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: June 26, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

If The Pit is chosen for the next sale I'd recommend it at the sale price of $1.05. I have it and it's not a bad roguelike, especially if you like the Sword of the Stars series.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: June 26, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »

Opinions on Space Engineers?

The basic premise looks interesting, but is there anything to do with the stuff you build? Is there any plans for it?

The first game by the same company was Miner Wars. That was not a good game for many reasons. I don't expect this new game to be any better.
I have Space Engineers. It's pretty good, so far they update with material features weekly. It seems like Keen Software House is extremely wary of the bad will they earned last time. While the game isn't done, it's already very fun to just build and smash stuff, and there's survival mode and multiplayer. I do feel like there's enough game to justify picking it up right now. Bewarned though, this game does NOT run on a toaster.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: June 26, 2014, 01:11:53 pm »

Smashing stuff into other stuff is not much of a game. Things hit other things. Now what? Most games, that are fun, involve trying to avoid smashing stuff into other stuff. They also do more than just that. I saw the vids of physics impacts in Space Engineers and thought "this will sell well to Minecraft players children." I didn't even have to look at the youtube comments to imagine all the "epic"s typed in. I dare you to count them all from the first ingame footage and tell me it's fewer than 200. My e, i, p, and c keys wept. I think the Iliad wept and then hung itself.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: June 26, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »

It has practically no gameplay.

You can:
1) Gather resources to build ships / stations
2) Fly around with said ships
3) I think you can build turrets that shoot the meteorites

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »

Steamworld Dig in on flash sale. Reviews seem to imply it's either so short it's completely boring, or replayable enough to be entertaining. Anyone played it and have thoughts to share?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: June 26, 2014, 01:24:20 pm »

In most cases, yeah. But sometimes it's worth it.

Don't Starve was early access, right? You could buy it cheaper than the full game, you got one extra copy to gift away and they delivered constant updates.
Starfarer/Starsector has glacial progress in regard of it's campaign, but the combat system is done already and due to it's unique nature it's fun to play around with.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: June 26, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

It doesn't really matter how many minecraft kids liked it. I liked it. Multiplayer is indeed much of a game, as well.

As for other features, there are regular weapons, and an elaborate conveyor system that has recently been implemented. You can design a ship that mines, draws rubble in to hoppers with gravitational force, and then starts making the materials you want with the resources. Just doing that is a project in itself. You can also try to design a base adequately shielded from meteor showers. Or a makeshift gravitational missile launcher. Or a 200-foot swinging hammer to smash enemy ships. Or a working racetrack. Or a monorail. It's a physics sandbox with enough features that if you liked making drowning traps in dwarf fortress, you might like this game.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: June 26, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »

Dishonoured - 3,75 for base game. 8,50 for GOTY with all the (supposedly really good) DLC's. I'm still leaning towards waiting for the GOTY to drop down to 5. Some other sale I guess.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: June 26, 2014, 02:20:38 pm »

Steamworld Dig in on flash sale. Reviews seem to imply it's either so short it's completely boring, or replayable enough to be entertaining. Anyone played it and have thoughts to share?
Isn't that a 3DS game?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1134