Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1452609 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8745 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:01 am »

Ok, this is relevant because both games are on sale on GOG.com right now.
When I was younger, I was so entranced with the glory that was Empire Earth. I loved that game. Now, both it and 2 are dirt cheap on GOG.com. But I'm not sure which to buy! I only ever played 1, but which is better?

1 is more like Age of Empires while 2 is more like Rise of nations... also the graphics are obviously better.
Personally i'd grab EE2.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8746 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:47 am »

Ok, this is relevant because both games are on sale on GOG.com right now.
When I was younger, I was so entranced with the glory that was Empire Earth. I loved that game. Now, both it and 2 are dirt cheap on GOG.com. But I'm not sure which to buy! I only ever played 1, but which is better?

I had a friend that was neck deep in EE, but didn't play it myself when it was new.  As I understand it, EE2 was a natural continuation of EE1; some extra refinement and polish, but still fundamentally a similar experience.  I'd say, hell, get em both...  they're cheap.  But if you were only gonna get one, go for EE2.

Just make sure you avoid Empire Earth 3 like the plague.  It's some other game parading around with a stolen EE banner.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: June 24, 2014, 11:08:45 am »

Just make sure you avoid Empire Earth 3 like the plague.  It's some other game parading around with a stolen EE banner.
This seems to be a theme with older third games...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8748 on: June 24, 2014, 11:19:57 am »

Ya, I followed EE 3 closely when it was being released, so I know enough to run far, far away from that one. Well, if I'm going to get EE 2, I guess I might as well get EE 1 as well ha. If it was the other way around I'd give a bit more pause oddly. Dollars count!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:08 am »

I've played "Empire Earth 1" a few times, I got it free one time from Good Old Games.

I must say I don't really like it. The mechanics are fine and I like the expansive nature of the epochs and units. Whenever I've played it though, I've always found resource gathering to be far too slow on the default settings. I'm pretty sure you can change the speed of resource gathering in the custom settings before starting a game but... eh.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8750 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:32 am »

Ya, I followed EE 3 closely when it was being released, so I know enough to run far, far away from that one. Well, if I'm going to get EE 2, I guess I might as well get EE 1 as well ha. If it was the other way around I'd give a bit more pause oddly. Dollars count!

I got EE1 as Xmas gravy from GOG a couple years ago, iirc.

On the note of the gravy spigot @ GOG, there's stealth giveaways in the rolling sales today.  First one was Omerta; I saw it this morning before tea, and it didn't register...  I missed out.  Supposedly three more will happen today at some point.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8751 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:34 am »

Out of curiousity, what do the stealth giveaways look like? Just like the normal flash deal with FREE as their price or what?

EDIT: Yep, I was right. Still Life 2 (whatever the hell that is) is free right now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:08:52 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: June 24, 2014, 12:10:36 pm »

Out of curiousity, what do the stealth giveaways look like? Just like the normal flash deal with FREE as their price or what?

Yup, and there's one up right now.... Still Life 2.  Bottom half (as of the time of this posting), white button.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: June 24, 2014, 12:10:54 pm »

Yeah...
I saw that and clicked on it to check its page and find out what it was, and it went "Yay, you'll get your free game as soon as we work through the queue!"

...I probably didn't actually want it, whatever it is. :-\

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: June 24, 2014, 12:18:13 pm »

Some kind of murder mystery thing by the looks of it. But hey, free is free right?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: June 24, 2014, 12:19:19 pm »

Age of Wonder III is now 50% off, which isn't too bad for a new game. What's the thought on it? See if it'll go lower? Is it worth getting at this price, or should I hold off for a while (I'm not exactly short of games to play at the moment).

I really enjoyed AoW, but never played AoW 2.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: June 24, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »

I'd be pretty surprised if AoW3 went lower than 50% (I'm mildly surprised that it went below 33% off tbh).  Whether it's worth it at that price depends who you ask - I bought it at full price and definitely got my money's worth, but some others found it lacking.

Main complaints that I've seen were a) insufficient unit/ability variety between the races and b) AI needs work.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: June 24, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »

We have an AoW3 thread if you want to check there for reviews. Seems to me to be a mixture of everything from Worst Thing Ever to Pretty Good, leaning more towards the angrier/apologetic end.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: June 24, 2014, 01:33:54 pm »

Valve decided to change up the rules on the Steam Summer Adventure.
  • The team in 1st place will have thirty members receive three games from their wishlist, as before.
  • However, the 2nd place team will give twenty members two games from their wishlist.
  • The 3rd place team gives ten people one game.

It's broken down the massive point lead the first place team would always have, anyway. Purple team has a lead by about 6,000 points and green and blue are at each other's necks for second. There's only a 7,000 point gap between first and third, unlike the gap which reached close to a million points on day five.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:35:30 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8759 on: June 24, 2014, 01:35:32 pm »

Good call, Valve. And I do not say that often.

Still, what are the actual odds of getting a game, even if you're on the winning team and contribute points? Even if your team wins, that's 30 people out of... how many thousand?
Pages: 1 ... 582 583 [584] 585 586 ... 1134