Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1452258 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: SALES Thread - SUMMER SALE, PRAISE BE TO GABEN
« Reply #8580 on: June 21, 2014, 01:58:43 am »

Yes, finally got Walking Dead season 1! Now, to buy season 2 now, or wait and see if it goes down further...?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: June 21, 2014, 01:59:55 am »

It probably won't go further down this summer, unless it goes on flash. Do daily deals often go on flash sale?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8582 on: June 21, 2014, 02:05:38 am »

Hmm... Well, I do have an enormous backlog of games and it's not like I'd get to play it anytime soon. And even if it doesn't go lower during this sale, it will go on sale again eventually. So I'll wait for now.

The minimum level 8 to get these cards is absolutely fucking stupid, by the way. They're basically telling their customer base "hey, how would you like to pay real money, which we line our pockets with, for absolutely nothing in return?" You can't get to level 8 without crafting loads of badges, and you can't get all the cards for a badge without spending money (or trading, but obviously it's geared towards spending money). So in order to get this new meaningless badge, you have to pay enough money to get to level 8, then you have to pay more money to get all the cards. The thing that astounds me is that people actually do this.

Now, having the winning team get games from their wishlist is a good call. At least you're getting a prize there. Not just a little graphic that doesn't do anything. But after they've already nickel-and-dimed me for years with "European" prices for games, I'll be damned if I'm going to give them any more money just for a picture.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: June 21, 2014, 02:13:10 am »

It's quite logical actually. You need to be part of the card gathering fad, in order to be able to participate in it. I mean, it's not like you're losing out on anything. The only thing you loose, IIRC, is 1 card (approx. value: 40 cents).

I mean, if you don't want a picture, then don't give them money. It's not like you're losing out on anything important.

((Then again, this might just be me being a diehard steam fanboy, because I'm level 10 without much money or anything spend. XP breakdown:
- Trading Card Beta tester : 100 XP
- Community Ambassador: 200 XP
- 4 Year's of service: 200 XP
- Steam Holiday sale 2011: 67 XP
- Sharp Eyed Stockpiler: 242 XP (I count this as being free because I won the Valve Complete pack in the 2011 sale)
I only crafted 2 badges, and bought the cards I needed for those by selling my Mann Co crates.
))

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:18 am »

Feel like impulse buying Shadowrun. As someone who regards the infinity engine games as the best possible standard for RPGs do you think it's worth it? I tried playing the old SNES Shadowrun a couple months back but and found it rather underwhelming, would have preferred it on PC as the realtime aspects didn't work at all with a controller.

I really much prefer realtime/pseudo-realtime over turn based but if the world/characters are engaging enough I can look past that. Also is the deluxe edition worth it just for the added campaign? I doubt I'll care much for the anthology/soundtrack.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8585 on: June 21, 2014, 02:29:19 am »

You lose one card per three votes. That's about one card per day or two. So yeah, as one of the gamers without a lot of disposable income, that adds up to a few games in the price range I generally shop in.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: June 21, 2014, 02:33:27 am »

I dislike the increasing emphasis Valve is putting on the community market and cards, but so long as it doesn't get in the way of real features it's tolerable. Getting close to that point, though.

It's easy to think of it as harmless, as a way of making some money back off of saps who care about it, but all it's doing is giving Valve an extra profit off of something utterly worthless and unnecessary (and worse, that money is siphoned away from the companies selling real products). Before the market, all the fake currency floating around in people's Steam wallets would eventually be spent on a game (unless the account goes inactive), forcing Valve to make a real payout, but now Valve has found a way to remove some of their fake currency (and circumvent eventually paying a dev/publisher) by having people trade worthless virtual items around at a loss. You could say it's a minor effect, but with Valve taking around 20% on all these $0.10 transactions, and then another 20% if the funds are spent back into the market, I think it's a significant amount of potential sales that are being diverted from games toward refilling people's wallets.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: June 21, 2014, 02:40:34 am »

You lose one card per three votes. That's about one card per day or two. So yeah, as one of the gamers without a lot of disposable income, that adds up to a few games in the price range I generally shop in.
You don't get voting cards either. Well that's meaner than I thought.

How far are you from getting to lvl 8, I do have some cards lying around I could miss. And since you get awarded cards retroactively, that might work out.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8588 on: June 21, 2014, 02:46:38 am »

I'm at level 6. And I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll just skip this one. I'd rather just not participate in their bullshit. Normally I refuse to even buy from Steam and only get games from bundles and such (leaving me with far more games than I can play anyway), but there are a few that I want to get from the summer sale, so I have to give in now and then and get a game I really want.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: June 21, 2014, 02:49:13 am »

I just noticed I couldn't have done it anyway. Steam Guard has blocked my trading for the next 6 days. (For some reason though, I can still buy and gift games).

So I'm glad that in the event that my steam account is hacked, at least my trading cards (and hats) will be safe.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: June 21, 2014, 03:05:26 am »

Curiously, it tells me I need to be level 5 to get cards for community voting. Could it be a regional thing?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: June 21, 2014, 03:14:35 am »

I suppose it could be.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: June 21, 2014, 03:21:09 am »

Oh my goodness, a booster pack, I got one, they do exist. Now, what to do with it? I guess sit on it until the price goes up, then sell it and buy the cards I need.

Well, unexpectedly that enjoyment didn't last long.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8593 on: June 21, 2014, 03:28:42 am »

Is EYE worth it for the singleplayer alone? My internet connection pretty much eliminates the possibility of multiplayer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: June 21, 2014, 04:45:14 am »

I suppose it could be.
Well, apparently not, as I seem to have failed a spot check on that. It does say "level 8". At least now it does. I could've sworn it said "level 5" the first two times I voted this time around. Hmm.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 1134