Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453190 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread - Humble Store Spring Sale!
« Reply #8220 on: May 22, 2014, 03:19:25 am »

-snip-

Oh, I quite agree with you that it hurts profits. It just annoys me because I grew up in (and still live in) an area with poor to no internet access. Hell, I don't even have a working landline on rainy days. Or a good chunk of winter for that matter. So having digital products that are tied to internet access has always just pissed me off in general.

However, I still do buy indie games, directly from the developer or from GoG if I can't get it straight from the dev. I still buy CD's and tapes from local bands even though I may not listen to them. Having played in a shitty local band for almost 6 years now, and a numerous string of even shittier ones before that, I know the plight of indie devs, and the need to sell as much of a product as possible, (Why do you think so many smaller bands have such a ridiculously large selection of merch? Because not many people are going to share a t-shirt, or a sweater, or a pair of pants, whereas with CD's, there are no such restrictions. Also, if they are with a label, the label takes a large cut of CD profits, akin to a producer with videogames. Also production and distribution. SUPPORT LOCAL BANDS, BUY MERCH[/midrant-rant])

However, when it comes to a larger developer, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. I don't want to pad their pockets anymore then I already am. I will borrow my friend's game with no remorse, just as I would borrow a CD that had anything to do with a corp like WMG. [/rant]

That being said, when it comes to my aforementioned close friend, even with indie games, I'll still swap games with him. He's more like family to me than my actual sibling, so w/e. Plus, there's some games I just want him to play, that I know he won't buy himself, like To The Moon. He played it, enjoyed it, and I know for a fact that he convinced one of our mutual friends to legitimately purchase the game.

So, while he did not constitute an actual sale, his praise of the game led to an actual sale. I'm not saying it's particularly right, it's just that we've been doing this for ages now.

HOWEVER, I doubt I will ever come around to seeing things as you do when it comes to getting used games. I can't afford to buy $59.99 console games, and until recently, digital distribution wasn't an option for me. Is it really a problem if I pick the game up for $29.99 used, if I never would have bought the game anyways because of the price? There always stands a chance that my glowing praise of the game will convince someone else to buy it (which is a fragile argument, I know), but if I was certainly not going to buy the game ever at full price, is it the wrong thing for me to do? On the same thread, I'm playing my new used game and my friend comes over, sees me playing it: "hey man can I borrow that when you're done?" Sure, why not.

I guess the point that all my rambling is trying to convey is that while it may be better for the developer, being able to share games with a friend was part of the reason I got into video games as much as I did, and being able to buy video games cheaper allowed me to play a much wider selection of games than I would have if I'd bought them new. Thus, it's much harder for me to see things from the developers perspective, especially considering the fact that I'm more or less solely talking about console gaming here and 90% of console games are some Hollywood budget production by a larger dev.

TL;DR: Support indie devs and local music.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8221 on: May 22, 2014, 05:24:50 am »

Alright guys. Reliable intelligence: Steam Summer Sale will be June 19-28

Mark your calendar and prepare your wallet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: May 22, 2014, 06:13:11 am »

My birthday is June 20.

Nice timing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: May 22, 2014, 09:51:48 am »

Nothing has changed in over 40 years and the industry as a whole still exists. People have been swapping and buying used this entire time. Games are not only still being made but some take a decade or more to get out for sales. I don't mind people making some money but not all consumers are equal. Not all countries are equal. Not all regions within a country are equal. If you want to make a sale you have to take that into account.

Wii and DS have shut down multiplayer for a bunch of games. Knowing that companies do that will decrease sales. People are social animals. Multiplayer is a thing. Local multiplayer is still a thing. Sharing is a thing. Stop hating your long term customers, game makers/producers/distributors. They are free advertising. They are long term income. They don't incite boycotts among others as long as you don't fuck up.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread -
« Reply #8224 on: May 22, 2014, 11:15:40 am »

Things have changed, though.  Online distributors (particularly Steam) are selling even newish games for absurdly low prices, and the lack of resale ability is a possible reason they can afford to do that.

It also makes it easy to sell games which would have been abandonware for 10cents to $5, which I like.  It keeps money going to the developers and makes it easier to acquire the game at reasonable prices.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: May 22, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »

I'd be shocked if any money made it back to actual developers.  Especially for the older games.

Development studios get shuffled between publishers, except when they disband and reform entirely.  The actual IP's are occasionally bought and sold, or they just sit in the back catalog of whoever financed it.

But hey, that's why you finance games and employ developers in the first place.  It's an investment, and I don't begrudge them the ongoing revenue from it.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: May 23, 2014, 12:29:05 am »

Dark Souls Prepare To Die edition is currently on sale for the weekend at $7 on Steam. That's 66% off the full price of $20. It's not Dark Souls 2 but if you haven't played 1 there's your chance to pick it up.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:38 pm »

Dark Souls Prepare To Die edition is currently on sale for the weekend at $7 on Steam. That's 66% off the full price of $20. It's not Dark Souls 2 but if you haven't played 1 there's your chance to pick it up.
Is one any good on the PC now?  I heard it had some pretty severe problems at release. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: May 23, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »

Last I heard you'll still need mods, if thats what you're asking about.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: May 23, 2014, 08:20:41 pm »

Is one any good on the PC now?  I heard it had some pretty severe problems at release.

I followed the standard advice of getting a USB controller to play it on PC, and really enjoyed it.  It has a rather low resolution (780p i think) but mods can bump it up to 1080p, and add high res textures.  I never tried playing KB/Mouse, but i can imagine its not the best.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: May 24, 2014, 12:09:05 am »

Distant Worlds is finally on steam, http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/ (all-included package), do yourself a favor (if you like 4x games) and grab it.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: May 24, 2014, 01:20:58 pm »

A controller is close to mandatory, and DSFix (mod) is usually recommended. I played it with a PS3 controller and it was a fantastic experience. I had zero issues with performance, but YMMV obviously.

Just remember to play it online or you're missing half the experience.

It also uses GFWL, which will be dying in a couple months, and they've been rather vague thus far on whether it'll be switching to something else or just losing online entirely. So if you're going to play it (and you should), play it now!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: May 24, 2014, 04:13:40 pm »

What do you get from playing online?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: May 24, 2014, 04:27:41 pm »

Iesabel is on sale for $1.49. I've not actually played it yet so I'm mostly posting it here because of the EULA.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:30:30 pm by Leonon »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: May 24, 2014, 05:05:37 pm »

Iesabel is on sale for $1.49. I've not actually played it yet so I'm mostly posting it here because of the EULA.
That EULA reminds me of the WTFPL... ;D
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1134