Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1463244 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #4020 on: October 29, 2012, 11:15:51 pm »

Turning down the planet amount and upping the data rates probably. My first mistake with SPAZ was generating a massive world and all it did was make the game hopelessly grindy. Turning down the planet amount makes the game go much quicker.

Yeah, I always play on the smallest.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: October 30, 2012, 01:23:43 am »

Just had to stop by and shamelessly plug some classics.

Bioshock goes without saying. I enjoyed 1 slightly more than 2, but both were excellent. Be warned, 2 uses Games for Windows Live. I just set it to login offline and never had a problem; others are less fortunate.

Fallout 3 is decent, but New Vegas is far better. If you like quality and actual writing ability, get New Vegas ultimate for another few bucks.

I've only got a few hours into STALKER, and only Shadow of Chernobyl. So far it's as good as everybody says. Fallout is more of an apocalypse fantasy... STALKER is grim and lonely survival horror. I decided to take a chance on Clear Sky because I find the concept so appealing. If the major issues are bugs or datedness, well... There's always mods for that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: October 30, 2012, 01:33:09 am »

aye STALKER Complete is the most needed mod ever.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:20 am »

Turning down the planet amount and upping the data rates probably. My first mistake with SPAZ was generating a massive world and all it did was make the game hopelessly grindy. Turning down the planet amount makes the game go much quicker.

Yeah, I always play on the smallest.  :)
Also, the Big Fight For Beef mod adds a whole bunch of stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: October 30, 2012, 03:53:09 pm »

SPAZ is amazing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: October 31, 2012, 07:16:37 am »

SPAZ is amazing.

People keep saying that, I must go back and replay it some time but I'm sure I just got bored with it really quickly last time I tried.
Why is it amazing?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 31, 2012, 09:17:17 am »

SPAZ is amazing.

People keep saying that, I must go back and replay it some time but I'm sure I just got bored with it really quickly last time I tried.
Why is it amazing?
The only thing I found interesting is that the point you think the game is complete, it keeps going.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 31, 2012, 10:07:05 am »

SPAZ is amazing.

Why is it amazing?

I was disappointed...it looked like a game where you could roam around freely to build up your ships, but I found you run into walls rather quickly if you don't follow the story missions closely.

KG

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 31, 2012, 10:17:14 am »

SPAZ is amazing.
Why does everybody think this?
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4029 on: October 31, 2012, 10:32:16 am »

It's a good, old fashioned, semi-sandboxy space game. I had tons of fun with it. There's lots of progression, and if you play it right, it doesn't become grindy at all. I loved the ships, and how tactical it felt, how you're always getting something new... the story's OK.

I only did one playthrough when it came out, and half a playthrough after a few patches. If I had time for games, I'd probably play it more.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: October 31, 2012, 10:32:20 am »

SPAZ is amazing.
Why does everybody think this?

Because you throw prisoners out the airlock on a regular basis and collect toxic waste to be used in making hamburgers.   :P

I really enjoyed SPAZ, but I can see how it might not be for everyone. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4031 on: October 31, 2012, 11:07:27 am »

I enjoyed it a lot as well, but it appeals to a certain type of gamer.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: October 31, 2012, 11:43:30 am »

It's a good, old fashioned, semi-sandboxy space game. I had tons of fun with it. There's lots of progression, and if you play it right, it doesn't become grindy at all. I loved the ships, and how tactical it felt, how you're always getting something new... the story's OK.

I only did one playthrough when it came out, and half a playthrough after a few patches. If I had time for games, I'd probably play it more.
Thats the thing though. On your first runthrough (unless you know how to make it less grindy), it will be crazy grindy. Its especially annoying since its not visible that it will be grindy till like 5 hours into the game, and there is no way to lower the amount of grind once you have already started.

After playing for about ten hours I quit, because I didn't feel like excessive grinding, and didn't really feel like starting a new game after that (even if I could get rid of the grinding).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4033 on: October 31, 2012, 12:54:36 pm »

UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold is on sale for today at £2.49.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4034 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:36 pm »

Thats the thing though. On your first runthrough (unless you know how to make it less grindy), it will be crazy grindy. Its especially annoying since its not visible that it will be grindy till like 5 hours into the game, and there is no way to lower the amount of grind once you have already started.

After playing for about ten hours I quit, because I didn't feel like excessive grinding, and didn't really feel like starting a new game after that (even if I could get rid of the grinding).

I learned how to progress fairly quickly in the game, i.e. when I realised it was starting to get grindy. What I did was simply go to systems that were at, or a couple of levels above my own level. The game was constantly a challenge, having me retreat on a few occasions, and because the system level was above my own, I'd get insane amounts of experience. I don't recall having boring battles at all. I absolutely abhor grinding in games where it's a core part of the mechanics. I stop playing instantly when I realise what's happening. Here, I simply found a way around, unlike Starscape, which kind of drove me crazy.

I'll admit it's very easy to play SPAZ as a grindy game though.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1135