Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1462680 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #3465 on: July 20, 2012, 03:24:53 pm »

I object to DRM when it causes problems, sets an install cap or bogs down my system. For example, EA's Origin? Try changing some hardware or even software in your machine, then sit back as Origin polls EVERYTHING IN YOUR SYSTEM for 2 minutes while it boots up.

That's what primarily annoys me. DRM does not need a snap shot of my hardware/software list every time I connect through the client, that's just stupid.
i know steam does it every 4 months just for statistics but definitely enough hate on origin for that, too bad i need it for BF3.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: July 20, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »

You need BF3? :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: July 20, 2012, 03:32:25 pm »

Hurray for being able to disable GFWL on Grand Theft Auto IV! Still have to deal with that Social Club thing, though...

Also, Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off in a flash sale. I missed it's original sale. Inevitable "is it worth it?" question. Will be looking into the Crusader Kings 2 thread for answers, but any quick replies here would be helpful as well. It's on sale for another 2 1/2 hours!
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »

You need BF3? :P
hey i gotta get my HD AWESOME DUBSETUP FPS SEQUEL fix somehow.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »

Are the splinter cells worth throwing my money at and if so, which ones?

Any of the first 3 imo. Conviction is not stealth at all, but it's fun for a romp, different.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: July 20, 2012, 03:35:03 pm »

Hurray for being able to disable GFWL on Grand Theft Auto IV! Still have to deal with that Social Club thing, though...

Also, Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off in a flash sale. I missed it's original sale. Inevitable "is it worth it?" question. Will be looking into the Crusader Kings 2 thread for answers, but any quick replies here would be helpful as well. It's on sale for another 2 1/2 hours!
Yes.
Very much so.
Whether to get the music and the expansion pack (which you need to play as muslims) isn't so clear, if you think they are worth it get them as well.
But the base game is absolutely great (although its a bit complicated at times, so be sure that you are fine with that).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37:06 pm »

Are the splinter cells worth throwing my money at and if so, which ones?

Any of the first 3 imo. Conviction is not stealth at all, but it's fun for a romp, different.
You can play it mildly stealthy. However, the enemies get see-through-walls goggles and can see you anywhere, so about 3/4ths through the game the stealth is completely ruined.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: July 20, 2012, 03:39:41 pm »

Yes.
Very much so.
Whether to get the music and the expansion pack (which you need to play as muslims) isn't so clear, if you think they are worth it get them as well.
But the base game is absolutely great (although its a bit complicated at times, so be sure that you are fine with that).

I take it this game will appeal to a man such as myself who enjoys the Total War and Civilization games?
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: July 20, 2012, 03:40:11 pm »

Do you like:
being backstabbed by your own son?
being simultaneously backstabbed by all your sons?
gaining power through marriage and murder?
almost losing your hard-earned kingdom because your oldest son died, and the kingdom now goes to an imbecile?
having that imbecile die from sickness, so the kingdom goes to a 3 year old girl?
somehow surviving all that, and marrying a prince of the Holy Roman Empire?
then murdering and getting lucky with the deaths of all the other heirs, making you the emperor of the HRE?

If you say yes to any of those, then CK2 might be the game for you.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: July 20, 2012, 03:42:34 pm »

Yes.
Very much so.

I take it this game will appeal to a man such as myself who enjoys the Total War and Civilization games?
Bit hard to tell, they are VERY different games from CKII.
However, since you A) play and like strategy games and B) probably aren't scared by complexity (since you are a B12er); then you will probably like this game quite a lot.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:48:29 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:21 pm »

This isn't Steam related, but for anyone with a GOG account (registration is free anyways, for those of you who don't have one) Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader are 50% off this weekend, among other games such as Patrician 1+2 combo, Port Royale, and Tropico 3: Gold Edition.

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/kalypso_weekend_promo

EDIT: Tropico 3: Gold Edition is cheaper on Steam if you don't mind the DRM. Make sure you check your prices!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:47:17 pm by The Mechanical Man »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: July 20, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »

What's steam DRM? The game being locked into the steam platform or something?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: July 20, 2012, 04:02:12 pm »

What's steam DRM? The game being locked into the steam platform or something?
You have to log in to their system to play some of the games, you can go offline mode as long everything is updated.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: July 20, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »

Enjoy your DRM.

I suppose you mean that one of those titles has specifically another layer of DRM other than Steam? (otherwise, it would apply to the whole thread). could you specify which one?

please don't be Crysis 2...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: July 20, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »

Enjoy your DRM.

I suppose you mean that one of those titles has specifically another layer of DRM other than Steam? (otherwise, it would apply to the whole thread). could you specify which one?

please don't be Crysis 2...

The only one I can find with a quick Google search that has DRM is Driver. In development, Ubi was going to require an always-on connection. They relented and only make you sign into your account when you begin playing, apparently. I've not got it, so take this with a grain of salt or wait for someone who does own it to comment.

As much as I complain about DRM, I don't really mind it as long as it's done in a way that doesn't hinder me like SecuROM or StarForce do. I've been lucky this time - two of the games I purchased use Steamworks. I've not had a game with that form of DRM before, but it's from Valve. They're probably one of the more trustworthy companies.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:27:29 pm by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 1135