Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461945 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2715 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:59 pm »

Theres plenty of piracy debates. eventually it ends up with people arguing sematics because the law is far behind the stuff going on, and the people in the copyright office aren't much closer to recent internet events than the law is. (And anyone who dares to not mirror-image the US's plainly absurd in multiple aspects IP law is called 'problematic' on the Most useless of useless lists, the 'Special 301 Report')
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:18:48 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

So I hear that no one's heard about the summer steam sale. What's up with that? Not having a steam sale. Who does that? Seriously.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 01, 2012, 09:21:28 pm »

Is it going on now, then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »

Not that I know of. I was just mentioning steam sales in the steam sale thread.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 01, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »

Is it summer already in the US? Has school holiday started?

Our winter school holiday just started in Australia.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 01, 2012, 09:40:23 pm »

You're a month late, dude. School ended on the 15th of June at worst on this side of the US, probably fairly consistent over yonder states to the West/North/Farther South
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 01, 2012, 09:44:17 pm »

I predict that the sale will begin tomorrow. July just started, and that seems to be when summer really kicks off.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 01, 2012, 09:52:29 pm »

Waiting until Wednesday would also make sense. It's a pretty big holiday for us USians.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 01, 2012, 09:55:16 pm »

Yeah, but just because Valve is headquartered in the US doesn't mean everyone in the world celebrates July 4th :P

First Monday in July makes more sense and doesn't risk alienating people, so far as I know.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 02, 2012, 01:46:08 am »

Adding "a couple of 0-kb game exes, [and] a couple of registry keys" is trivial and doesn't involve downloading or copying any copyrighted content at all
"Trivial" and "illegal" really have nothing to do with each other.
Ain''t that the truth: because when you criminalize the most trivial things, you turn everyone into criminals.

The average human breaks the law at least 5 times before lunch every day.

It would be like charging someone for a sale, but not actually giving them the product, but merely permission to use it. Which is no different from piracy. So yeah, the big game companies are engaged in piracy: taking away something you bought, and replacing it with a license.
Please don't conflate how you think things should be with how they are. Arguing that renting things out should be illegal is one thing; claiming that renting things out constitutes selling them to you in their entirety and then stealing them back is completely different.

Please point where on the game purchase screen of Steam says "rent this game".

But anyway, you made my point for me: saying "x is no different from piracy" doesn't make it so. Forsaken doesn't get to conflate what things are with what he thinks they should be'.

But yeah, since this is a Steam thread, let's only talk about stuff related to it... In the words of Valve's own, "pirates are just underserved customers."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:03:54 am by Sergius »

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 03, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »

Midweek madness:
75% on all C&C titles on steam (i.e. RA 3 and onward)
66% on Rock of ages (2,71€) due to a big update.

Daily deal:
66% on Legendary (1,69€) which is the main reason I'm posting here. Have any of you played it? The setting at least looks brilliant.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

66% on Legendary (1,69€) which is the main reason I'm posting here. Have any of you played it? The setting at least looks brilliant.
Hemmingjay said on Steam:
"Do not buy. I just wasted $1.69 on a sub-par game. Outdated and not in the fun retro way. Simplified gameplay, lackluster production, etc. Just not good."
Its rating on MetaCritic is 50/100. It's cheap, but I don't know if it's even worth that.
And Dark Souls has spoiled me on fighting giant fantasy monsters.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 03, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »

Heat up 186 pennies on the stove and then drop them in your underwear for a better experience.

In 2004 this would have been a great game. If it launched before HL2. Setting looks fun because and reminds me of Hellgate, but in execution the game is terrible. Buy it at your own risk, because while $1.86 is super cheap, sometimes your time and bandwidth isn't free.

Just looked it up on wikipedia and found the following:
Legendary received mostly poor reviews, with a metacritic average of 49/100 across all platforms. Reviews by gamers have been equally unfavorable, with a Metacritic gamer review score near 6. Practically the only publications which praised the game were the US version of the Official Xbox Magazine, which gave the game a score of 7.5/10,[13] and the New Zealand based Gameplanet review, also awarding a 7.5.[14] Most were not so kind, with Eurogamer's Jeff Haynes going as far as to say "It's a bad, bad game. One of the worst I've played on this generation of consoles". [15] Gamespot's Kevin VanOrd described the game as "frustratingly bad", [16] while IGN called it "Painful". [17]
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 03, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

Bought it for £30 on release.  Give it a very wide berth.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 03, 2012, 05:34:36 pm »

Bought it for £30 on release.  Give it a very wide berth.

Ouch, that is a LOT of hot underwear pennies!
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 1135