Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461662 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2550 on: June 08, 2012, 09:04:31 am »

That'd be nice, and make things more interesting if we ever get a CK2 -> EU3 converter.

Though it's probably too much to hope for an expansion that adds the New World nations too. :P
Paradox really should start a new line of these games which stretches from the dawn of civilization to modern day over about 5 games with the ability to import the map/save from one to the next.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: June 08, 2012, 09:50:00 am »

I've been waiting for a strategy about maintaining a tribe for quite some time, the closest I found was Kings of Dagger Pass. If anyone could do it, it would be Paradox.
Maybe one day in the far future we'll get the mechanics of each ea" and have them slammed together so you really feel like your nation is progressing through the eras.

That's my pipe dream anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51:01 am »

Kings of Dagger Pass.

You mean King of Dragon Pass?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: June 08, 2012, 09:54:25 am »

Kings of Dagger Pass.

You mean King of Dragon Pass?
Yes. I'm really not sure why I wrote that. I had the game directory open and everything. :/

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:14 am »

I think it'd be utterly fascinating to see a Dark Ages game (say, 476 to 1066). Modelling the political changes and the regression of learning would be a serious challenge though, especially if contrasted with the flourishing of science and culture in the Arab world during the same period.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2555 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56:47 am »

Maybe one day in the far future we'll get the mechanics of each ea" and have them slammed together so you really feel like your nation is progressing through the eras.
So like tossing Spore, Age of Empires, End of Nations, Crusader Kings, Civilization, and Sim City all into a blender and then injecting the resulting slurry along with piping hot coffee directly into your jugular vein while simultaneously being tasered in the back?

Okay I went weird for a second sorry.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:09 am »

Not quite. More having a mixture of each (and future) Paradox grand strategy where the mechanics shift when you've entered a different era. 

You start with Paradox's Future Unnammed Tribal Simulator.
Then something like Civ Rome which didn't suck.
Move it on to the Middle Age with Crusader Kings.
Europa/Crusader Kings mash up for the very early part of the enlightnment.
Then Victoria II mechanics for the rest of the enlightenment and industral age.
Going to a Hearts of Iron/Victoria/Supreme Ruler mash-up at the end game.

You could also shift back eras. Say if you're a country like England who has a whole bunch of colonies and your main country got capped by those crafty Welsh or something. You'll then play the game as some colonial tribes still loyal to the English throne.
Maybe you're having a future cock-slap-fight with America and things got out of control and they quite literally bomb you back to the Stone-Age, forcing you to rely on finical aid from the UN as you try to rebuild your shattered empire.
And finally if you advance fast enough you just might be able to drop nukes on some poor lost tribe in the middle of the amazon, every Empire Earth fan favourite past-time.

Of course it's all just a dream at this point, I'm sure the mechanics would either have to be too complex or too simplified to be really enjoyable.
Also this has far moved away from the topic. So it might be time to wheel it back into line.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:34 am »

Just out of curiosity. How many people here have actually managed to make it through the entire duration of a Paradox game campaign without self quitting out of boredom? Because if we're just going to lop everything together, they're either going to need to shorten every age by 50 - 70% or add a time skip button.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: June 08, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

Just out of curiosity. How many people here have actually managed to make it through the entire duration of a Paradox game campaign without self quitting out of boredom? Because if we're just going to lop everything together, they're either going to need to shorten every age by 50 - 70% or add a time skip button.

I managed a single play through of Medieval Total War.  I don't think I could do it a second time.   :P

Edit:  Wait, that wasn't paradox.  Nevermind.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2559 on: June 08, 2012, 11:32:05 am »

I managed a single play through of Medieval Total War.  I don't think I could do it a second time.   :P

Edit:  Wait, that wasn't paradox.  Nevermind.
I'm halfway through a CK2 campaign with no sign of stopping... the treachery and backstabbing from my own family, much less my enemies, has kept me on my toes and kept everything interesting. Nothing like repeatedly jailing and ransoming your own niece to your brother because you're strapped for cash in the war!

Oh, and the little shit just raised an army against me. That won't end well for him.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: June 08, 2012, 11:59:08 am »

Yeah same here with CK2. It seems to have a longer lasting ingame appeal than EU3. I assume it's because your empire can collapse at any point and countries/provences take much longer to claim. Also if you ever get bored you can just turn your mighty kingdom back to Gravelkind anad watch it collapse, it's like the tantrum spiral of Paradox games.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:01:34 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: June 08, 2012, 12:58:30 pm »

I think it'd be utterly fascinating to see a Dark Ages game (say, 476 to 1066). Modelling the political changes and the regression of learning would be a serious challenge though, especially if contrasted with the flourishing of science and culture in the Arab world during the same period.
The big thing would be modelling the migrations in such a way as that they both influence and can be influenced by the player, I think. I would also really like such a game..
I'm really tempted to get the expansions for HoI3 after having disregarded it as a terrible failure in every possible way when it first came out, is it worth it or should I just keep sticking to Darkest Hour?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2562 on: June 08, 2012, 01:36:05 pm »

If you don't already have it Magicka is 75% off today, £4.99 for the game + all DLC's.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »

I've completed at least three full CK1 campaigns: Sicily, Aquitania, Mega-Russia-Byzantium (what I like to dub the Holy Orthodox Empire)
A couple of EU2 campaigns
Three EU3 grand campaigns: Sweden->Scandinavia and Bihar->Hindustan, China (pre-Divine Wind)
Several Victoria 1 campaigns: Two Sicilies, Spain, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, USA, Sweden, China
No Victoria 2 campaigns in full yet, just because I haven't had it that long. I have imports of my Scandinavia and Hindustan games from EU3 going right now.
Finished out HoI2 once as Germany, once as USA, once as a fascist USA, once as Japan.
Haven't completed a full HoI3 GC yet.

Now that the CK1->EU3 converter is solidly working, I intend to take my Aquitania and Holy Orthodox Empire games, play them out in EU3, import them to Victoria 2, play them out there, then hopefully export to HoI 3 for the coup de grace, if I haven't already taken over the world. Then I'll import the final product into Aurora.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: June 08, 2012, 01:57:46 pm »

I've completed at least three full CK1 campaigns: Sicily, Aquitania, Mega-Russia-Byzantium (what I like to dub the Holy Orthodox Empire)
A couple of EU2 campaigns
Three EU3 grand campaigns: Sweden->Scandinavia and Bihar->Hindustan, China (pre-Divine Wind)
Several Victoria 1 campaigns: Two Sicilies, Spain, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, USA, Sweden, China
No Victoria 2 campaigns in full yet, just because I haven't had it that long. I have imports of my Scandinavia and Hindustan games from EU3 going right now.
Finished out HoI2 once as Germany, once as USA, once as a fascist USA, once as Japan.
Haven't completed a full HoI3 GC yet.

Now that the CK1->EU3 converter is solidly working, I intend to take my Aquitania and Holy Orthodox Empire games, play them out in EU3, import them to Victoria 2, play them out there, then hopefully export to HoI 3 for the coup de grace, if I haven't already taken over the world. Then I'll import the final product into Aurora.  :P
Can you actually do this? My god, I need these games now.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 1135