Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1135

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1461299 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #2340 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:11 pm »

Dawn of War 2 is actually built on the same engine as Company of Heroes, so it's very very similar.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: May 10, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »

RTS without the resource gathering
Original, you had 3 resources to collect for unit construction: men, fuel, and ammo.
Much more like the sequel.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54:39 pm »

IMO CoH is way closer to the original Dawn of War than the DoW2 in terms of spirit. (In terms of tech, DoW 2 and CoH are much closer.)

Where CoH really shines to me is on the defensive. You can erect defensive works as your primary in game activity. Very few RTS's let you choke up the landscape with stuff, but in CoH, narrowing potential attack routes to funnel opposition in your guns is PARAMOUNT. The AI will crawl over teh battlefield and hit you from every available side when they can. That's where sandbags, razorwire, tank traps, landmines, AT guns and pill boxes come into play. You don't HAVE to play that way, but if you're not playing defensively in CoH you'd better be rushing your ass off.

As a complete tactical simulation, CoH really does it for me.

Not super historically accurate from what I've seen. It isn't that ridiculous, fairly immersive until your engineers fail to do anything at point blank range with their SMGs...

This is probably the one weak point in the game, where the battlefield simulation breaks down at close ranges. When guys are standing a decent ways apart though, it all looks pretty real.

As was said in the Company of Heroes 2 thread, CoH isn't as hardcore as Men of War, so it's not the absolute "simulationist's simulation." On the other hand, there's so many counters and things you must react to or control in CoH that it isn't your casual gamer's RTS either. Especially in competitive multiplayer, you really have to strategize against your opponents because there are many ways to attack or undermine them.

@Sirus: There are control points on the map that are split among the different kinds of resources. Holding the control points adds to your resource pools. So you don't have "harvesters" you have points of control you've got to defend or take from the enemy. These control points define "territory" on the map, and you can generally only build stuff in territory you control.

Click the Sumpf Valley link in my sig if you want to see what it looks like.

Dawn of War 2 is actually built on the same engine as Company of Heroes, so it's very very similar.

Only kind of. CoH was the Essence Engine 2. Dawn of War 2 is the Essence Engine 2.5 (and they severely dialed back the physics, level detail and terrain destruction of the engine in doing so.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:57:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: May 10, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »

RTS without the resource gathering
Original, you had 3 resources to collect for unit construction: men, fuel, and ammo.
Much more like the sequel.

Yea i dunno whats going on here. Its a rts game with resource gathering (at least capturing areas for resources) >__>

The original Dawn of War or the sequel? The two were rather different...

Much more like the sequel. Despite caring much more for W40K than WW2 and all the interesting RPG elements I probably enjoyed CoH more than DoW2, though as I've nearly finished a DoW2 campaign and only done a few CoH missions it obviously is not by much. I can't speak for anything but the campaigns but DoW2 felt like a ARPG expect where you have to juggle too many things at once to reach near their potential (but it was easy despite that) while CoH felt like a proper tactical game.

EDIT: There was 2 new replies when I posted. Not super historically accurate from what I've seen. It isn't that ridiculous, fairly immersive until your engineers fail to do anything at point blank range with their SMGs...
Or the panzer bug where they have 1hp but are fucking invincible unless from a howitzer strike ::)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: May 10, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »

No gathering. You just plant a flag and then the resources just come in each second. No need to deforest the entire map for wood either or worrying that your mine or crystals or whatever run out.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08:18 pm »

No gathering. You just plant a flag and then the resources just come in each second. No need to deforest the entire map for wood either or worrying that your mine or crystals or whatever run out.

well i mean its still gathering as you need to capture the point to gain resources.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »

However, if the enemy breaks that territory's connection to the rest of your territories (for example by capturing a territory that connects them) you get no resources from it. (ie. supply lines.) Which is why a good defensive strategy against the AI is a must, because it likes to focus on vulnerable CPs. Particularly unfortified ones in the center of your control zone.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: May 10, 2012, 05:10:23 pm »

That was one of the changes from Dawn of War. I think also you could only build bases in your main territory?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: May 10, 2012, 05:11:10 pm »

Is it kind of like Nuclear Dawn that's one half RTS and one half FPS?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: May 10, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »

That was one of the changes from Dawn of War. I think also you could only build bases in your main territory?

Extra HQ? never had the chance to try it.

No this is no where near FPS its pure RTS

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »

There are forward command posts that you create by putting a squad in a building and ordering them to fortify it. That forward command post can then build all the infantry troops available to you, as well as a few light vehicles. You can only fortify a forward HQ in territory you control, and if you lose control of the territory your forward HQ is automatically disabled and the building reverts to normal.

However, every other 'core' structure (barracks, motor pool, tank depot, triage station, ect....) can only be built in your initial deployment area. And I think? you can build a full-fledged HQ only if your's has been destroyed.

What Telle said. But I will say this: one of the best parts of CoH to me is the camera. While you can't zoom it out super far, you can zoom WAY in, to the point you can see the color of the eyes on infantry. If you like immersion, try angling your camera down to the shoulder level of your riflemen while they're defending against a wave of German troops. Gunfire zipping past, artillery raining down everywhere, flame throwers, tanks plowing over cover with the front end pointing almost straight up into the air.....

It's fucking epic. As I told other people at work, I think it's as close as you can get to Saving Private Ryan, the Video Game. The audio is really good too, and there's lot of chatter from your troops and tons of variety in it.

And (just because I'm gushing anyways) it's got a really powerful map editor that ships with it, that I made the map below with. I've probably sunk 200 hours+ just into creating maps for my friends for CoH.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:12:52 pm by nenjin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: May 10, 2012, 06:37:56 pm »

Alright, so it sounds like the gameplay of the first DoW but with the second's engine. I have no problems with this.

What about the expansions? Worth it or no?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: May 10, 2012, 06:41:39 pm »

Alright, so it sounds like the gameplay of the first DoW but with the second's engine. I have no problems with this.

What about the expansions? Worth it or no?
I haven't had the chance to play the 2nd one but Tales of Valor is fun especially survival mode

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »

Company of Heroes is a great RTS. If you're wondering what the gameplay is like, I'd say take a gander of the plethora of gameplay clips on youtube.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: May 10, 2012, 06:57:34 pm »

Skyrim is 33% off. Because there are people out there who want it but were waiting for a 33% sale to buy it, so they could celebrate Portal 2's workshop release?

Company of Heroes sounds good. But would you recommend it to someone who didn't particularly like Dawn of War II?
I'm considering getting it regardless, because it's ten bucks for the entire pack. I'm bound to like something about it.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1135