Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456420 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15750 on: March 16, 2019, 08:54:45 pm »

It's pretty inevitable. The bottleneck on selling more games isn't really cost, it's player's free time.

For a while, there was a race to the bottom to tap into the expanding digital sales marketplace, hence all the back-catalogue stuff given away almost for free. However, that market has largely matured now, and people have huge backlogs of stuff. There are games you wouldn't even bother getting if someone said they were free: these games, to you, have negative value.

Say you're going to decide whether to offer a 50% off sale, or a 75% off sale. You are relying on their being twice as many sales at 75% off vs 50% off. If that's not the case, then you'd be a fool to do the 75% off sale. Most people willing to get your game "just because" at 75% off either already got it, or already go so many other damn games that they're "meh" about yours being 75% off.

Things that are worth the time will grow in value to encompass the market place. Some things have negative value (players don't see them as worth the time, even for free), but those games won't approach zero cost. They'll rise in price too, since some people will value them and be willing to pay, and you won't get additional sales from lowering the price, since most people won't have an interest in the game, even for nearly free.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:57:13 pm by Reelya »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: March 21, 2019, 01:00:07 pm »

GOG's got a spring sale until March 28.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: March 21, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »

Tacoma is free at humble bundle.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: March 22, 2019, 12:32:50 am »

Oxenfree is free from Epic Games through their launcher, until April 4th.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: March 25, 2019, 01:52:10 pm »

Morrowind is free today due to the series' 25th anniversary. Will have to deal with Bethesda's launcher though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: March 25, 2019, 03:56:34 pm »

Some people on reddit have claimed that they had problems when trying to validate the key they got.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: March 25, 2019, 04:05:55 pm »

I'm having problems as well. Not too surprising considering this is probably the first time they've tried something like this.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: March 25, 2019, 04:09:49 pm »

Their website is having some problems right now, apparently.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: March 25, 2019, 06:32:50 pm »

How many more launchers will it take for corporate suits to realize they can't order someone to remake Steam?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: March 25, 2019, 06:50:21 pm »

I can definitely confirm that I've had problems with the website.

If you typed in the correct password and the website says you didn't, don't believe the website. There appears to be no penalty for repeated failed attempts at login, and eventually one will get through.

Then it's a simple matter of typing in the code, trying again until it works, and then checking your games list to see if Morrowind shows up. Simple! You just have to be persistent!

I'm not upset about this!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: March 25, 2019, 06:56:32 pm »

I can definitely confirm that I've had problems with the website.

If you typed in the correct password and the website says you didn't, don't believe the website. There appears to be no penalty for repeated failed attempts at login, and eventually one will get through.

Then it's a simple matter of typing in the code, trying again until it works, and then checking your games list to see if Morrowind shows up. Simple! You just have to be persistent!

I'm not upset about this!
Thanks. You got me to try again and it worked this time.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: March 26, 2019, 01:32:07 pm »

How many more launchers will it take for corporate suits to realize they can't order someone to remake Steam?

All of them.

It's ironic. Executive bean counters will terminate products and close divisions not because a product isn't profitable, but because it isn't profitable enough. But by god every one of them will try to muscle into a market if they think there is money in it.

But someone can do Steam better:
 - There's no reason for it to act as DRM itself, requiring that you launch steam before you can access any game you've purchased on steam. Let developers decide whether they want DRM in their product (never mind that DRM is a lost battle anyway), even if the default is going to be "launch in steam and use steam as DRM."
 - Steam itself takes a while to load. If the platform must be launched before accessing the library, then reduce the memory and processing footprint. (Throwing it onto an SSD is not the solution.)
 - Steam has many secondary functions that I expect many users just don't use. I have no need for a friends list, streaming, big picture mode, VR, the in-game browser, communities, music player, etc. I mostly don't even need the store. Turning these into opt-in modules might help reduce its processing footprint. (While most of these are not explicitly loaded until the user actually uses them, there will still be pre-loading involved.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: March 27, 2019, 06:10:32 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:08:56 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: March 27, 2019, 08:49:50 am »

Steam actually does support DRM-free titles, at least technically.  I don't know if they offer the option to most developers, but some older games utilizing DosBox (such as X-COM) have no DRM.

Steam is idly using 22MB for me right now- actually it went up to 40MB after I launched X-COM, hm.  I don't see that memory as significant enough to kill it when I'm running low (usually because Firefox is using 6000+ MB again), but situations vary.  I also don't notice the load time, but I let it happen on bootup and it's parallel with me using the computer.  Also subjective and situational, it could be a problem for many people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: March 27, 2019, 09:51:18 am »

- Steam has many secondary functions that I expect many users just don't use. I have no need for a friends list, streaming, big picture mode, VR, the in-game browser, communities, music player, etc. I mostly don't even need the store.

I wouldn't use your personal preference as a guide for what everyone wants or uses. I know people that use and enjoy each one of those features, and a big criticism of the Epic Games store is that it has none of these things because it rushed in to it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1134