Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456176 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15630 on: January 15, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »

Just Cause 3, 85% off on Steam. I was gonna pick it up, turns out it's already in my library. I really liked the first one, really gotta catch up my backlog.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15631 on: January 15, 2019, 06:17:40 pm »

I had....very mixed feelings about Elite Dangerous, as I think most people do. I think many years ago I would have been madly in love with it, but now it feels like it's way too much grind for nothing. It's not like Path of Exile style grinding where it's a massive task but you're still moving forward, I felt like with Elite I was just sort of spending time on it for no reason? if that makes sense. It's not that I don't have the time for it, it's just that I don't know if I want my gaming time to be spent just waiting for stuff to happen.

To distil down my issue with it - it just doesn't value my time. I hate that phrase normally, as it always feels like people are saying that as everything wasn't delivered to them on a plate that the game was wasting their time, but I really don't  mean it like that. I just mean that it takes forever to do anything and when you do whatever that 'thing' is there isn't much payoff.

The flip side is that it looks incredible and if you've got the time, patience and drive to sort of RP then it may well be great for you. VR + joystick helps immeasurably,and as they're constantly updating it I feel as though it may eventually have enough going on that you can really get into it.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15632 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:25 am »

A heads up for anyone else who died a few times in the tutorial, there's a bit of info they only covered in the out-of-game video tutorials.  The tutorial enemies were flying circles around me, and I couldn't figure out why.  Based on Freeelancer and similar games I was dropping my throttle almost to zero, so I could pivot faster.  When I realized that wasn't working, I tried leaving the throttle on full, which worked exactly as well.

No, there's an "ideal thrust level" indicated by a blue smear on the throttle bar, which makes the arduously slow turn rate almost on-par with the tutorial enemies.

Ehh...  Really not impressed so far, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.  I also rolled my eyes when the registration insisted on me entering my real life name.  When there's someone who obsessively adores this game, who I don't want to talk to...  Nothing for it, now they know that I am Pul Wat Aa.

I know there's a lot of depth to the game, in the sense of grinding long journeys Freelancer-style, but the default with a mouse feels really frustrating.  I have a joystick *somewhere*, which might help.
I may be biased against it.
Bought the game recently, and was similarly bamboozled by the tutorial combat as you and I guess everyone else.
Turns out, the key to dogfighting is using linear (directional) thrusters rather than relying on your main engine. The thrusters are mighty, and get mightier when you hit the booster. The tutorial (or their own tutorial videos) doesn't really tell you any of this, though. But there's plenty user-made videos about using thrusters in combat. I watched a couple of those (example), and they kinda made sufficient sense of the whole thing for me not to worry about combat too much and just jump into the game proper.

Oh, and rebind your roll axis to something else than mouse.

The bindings that work for me are similar to those somebody suggested in the thread for the game we have here.
WS, AD, RF for up-down, left-right, forward-back linear thrust. QE for roll. Mouse to pitch and yaw, and mouse wheel to main thrust.

I had....very mixed feelings about Elite Dangerous, as I think most people do. I think many years ago I would have been madly in love with it, but now it feels like it's way too much grind for nothing. It's not like Path of Exile style grinding where it's a massive task but you're still moving forward, I felt like with Elite I was just sort of spending time on it for no reason? if that makes sense. It's not that I don't have the time for it, it's just that I don't know if I want my gaming time to be spent just waiting for stuff to happen.

To distil down my issue with it - it just doesn't value my time. I hate that phrase normally, as it always feels like people are saying that as everything wasn't delivered to them on a plate that the game was wasting their time, but I really don't  mean it like that. I just mean that it takes forever to do anything and when you do whatever that 'thing' is there isn't much payoff.
I'm getting used to it slowly, but so far it looks like exactly the same experience as the old Frontier (Elite) games, only with the benefits of modern technology and a lot more extra content. But at the heart of it, its the same 'game' that is almost entirely about the experience of being a space pilot and less about the gamey bits.
It's like those trucker simulators, only in space. There's enough realistically modelled moving parts in the game, from reading the map to the landing procedure, that you can derive certain satisfaction from mastering them all and just getting from point A to point B.

Whether that one's thing or not is a matter of personal taste.
But I do have to say I feel spoiled by the recent instant-gratification gaming trends (or it's just an age thing), and this one is definitely a throwback to the 90s.

In other news:

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15633 on: January 16, 2019, 09:04:37 am »

I also rolled my eyes when the registration insisted on me entering my real life name.  When there's someone who obsessively adores this game, who I don't want to talk to...  Nothing for it, now they know that I am Pul Wat Aa.

I wasn't aware that all the info in your registration form was publicly available to other users. Is there a screen where I can search other players by real name?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #15634 on: January 18, 2019, 04:04:06 am »

So, I've just got a coupon for Frostpunk, 50% off. I know that the game is made by the 11-bit Studios, the people behind brilliant This War of Mine, but I still would like opinions from you, folks.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: January 18, 2019, 04:44:22 am »

So, I've just got a coupon for Frostpunk, 50% off. I know that the game is made by the 11-bit Studios, the people behind brilliant This War of Mine, but I still would like opinions from you, folks.

I haven't played it, but I was with two people who talked about it at length.

The issue seems to be that it looks and feels like a strategy game (something like settlers/Ceaser etc.) but it's really a more decision and choices game like This War of Mine. As such, a lot of people went into it thinking it was a fully fledged strategy game (with tons of replayability etc.) and were disappointed. It's apparently quite low on content, and doesn't have much that would make you want to return to it after playing through once. That said, what it does have is apparently great so I imagine on sale it'd be worth while.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15636 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:49 am »

I haven't played it, but I was with two people who talked about it at length.

The issue seems to be that it looks and feels like a strategy game (something like settlers/Ceaser etc.) but it's really a more decision and choices game like This War of Mine. As such, a lot of people went into it thinking it was a fully fledged strategy game (with tons of replayability etc.) and were disappointed. It's apparently quite low on content, and doesn't have much that would make you want to return to it after playing through once.
That was my gut feeling too.

ONI is a better scratch as far as survival strategy is concer ed
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: January 18, 2019, 08:44:48 am »

A heads up for anyone else who died a few times in the tutorial, there's a bit of info they only covered in the out-of-game video tutorials.  The tutorial enemies were flying circles around me, and I couldn't figure out why.  Based on Freeelancer and similar games I was dropping my throttle almost to zero, so I could pivot faster.  When I realized that wasn't working, I tried leaving the throttle on full, which worked exactly as well.

No, there's an "ideal thrust level" indicated by a blue smear on the throttle bar, which makes the arduously slow turn rate almost on-par with the tutorial enemies.

Ehh...  Really not impressed so far, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.  I also rolled my eyes when the registration insisted on me entering my real life name.  When there's someone who obsessively adores this game, who I don't want to talk to...  Nothing for it, now they know that I am Pul Wat Aa.

I know there's a lot of depth to the game, in the sense of grinding long journeys Freelancer-style, but the default with a mouse feels really frustrating.  I have a joystick *somewhere*, which might help.
I may be biased against it.

As Il Palazzo suggested, I'd strongly recommend monkeying with your keybinds, in much the way he outlined.

FWIW I've tried playing it on my HOTAS and I prefer M+K, mostly because the aiming was finicky enough that I was forced to use the trim switch, even with gimballed weapons.

Also yeah, lots and lots of pointless grind. Bring a couple novels to read while you warp around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: January 18, 2019, 08:51:11 am »

Note that the solo mode still requires an internet connection. It's kinda hinted at by it being called "solo" instead of "single player", but you're still in the same galaxy as everyone else, so you'll have their effects on things like commodity prices and they yours, you just won't see any other players and can't directly interact.

If I remember correctly, it was Kickstarted as a single-player game, then they changed it. Once they got far enough to have an idea what they were doing, multiplayer was too ingrained in the engine to actually do a single-player (plus, they couldn't harvest your information with always-on connection). This angered a lot of people, but surprised exactly zero people who have been involved with Kickstarter.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: January 18, 2019, 09:07:21 am »

Just to be clear, solo mode is SP for all intents and purposes, only played on the same galaxy as every other owner of the game.
I wasn't there for the drama, but honestly, and even if one never intends to engage in MP, this seems like a clear improvement over individually instanced galaxies run by AI only.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15640 on: January 18, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »

... Oni?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #15641 on: January 18, 2019, 02:51:09 pm »

... Oni?
Oxygen Not Included. Glad you reminded me of Oni though

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15642 on: January 18, 2019, 07:47:03 pm »

Ah. That makes much, much more sense :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: January 20, 2019, 12:47:36 am »

... Oni?

Please don't abbreviate game names. It's confusing. Steam is up to 57k+ titles and they don't have everything even on computers. Our Sales thread is up to 15k+ entries.

Back to the sales. A bunch of Sqeenix stuff is on sale on Steam right now.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: January 20, 2019, 05:31:25 pm »

Back to the sales. A bunch of Sqeenix stuff is on sale on Steam right now.

What is this bunch of Squeenix stuff? I'm not seeing anything about it on their storefront or their specials section, and none of the Squeenix games on my wishlist are discounted?
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1134