Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453884 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #15060 on: June 19, 2018, 04:59:16 pm »

They were overtaken by Fortnite Battle Royale in terms of popularity and revenue, so that had to happen.

In these sorts of cases the winner usually ends with about 90% market share, because people want to play what their friends are playing. LoL has 100 million players to 13.5 million DOTA players.

Whoever wins the Battle Royale Battle Royale probably ends up with 90% of the interested player base.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:06:02 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: June 19, 2018, 05:04:22 pm »

Well, Fortnite is free. That’s tough to compete with, unless what you’re selling is significantly better.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: June 19, 2018, 05:40:50 pm »

That would probably be why there's the lawsuit to (try to) level the playing field.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15063 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:56 pm »

That would probably be why there's the lawsuit to (try to) level the playing field.
Except the lawsuit not only is built on bullshit (they are trying to claim they own the concept of Battle Royale when not only you can't do that but it's based off of a book) but also they are trying to sue the corp they license their whole engine from.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: June 19, 2018, 06:11:33 pm »

Which means they conceivably have the war chest to play such games. Gotta spend money to make (all the) money.

It's desperation though. It's not like the guys trying to trademark any usage of "Candy" or "Crush" in the mobile market. That's just trying to form a good old fashioned monopoly when you're already in control of the space. PUBG, rather, is trying to stymie a growing trend and genre.

Although I suppose with the current administration in America, ideas like this seem more feasible and palatable than in the past.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: June 19, 2018, 06:16:41 pm »

Well, they're suing in South Korea, so I don't know what that legal climate looks like. I agree it reeks of desperation though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: June 19, 2018, 07:11:27 pm »

Bought it, played a bit, died to someone by taking damage even before they were visibly shooting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: June 21, 2018, 12:37:12 am »

Swords and soldiers is free to keep on steam for the next 12 hours or so.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: June 21, 2018, 12:18:53 pm »

How do the pubg devs think they're going to compete when they're not free to play and can't even make their game run on as many systems as fortnite. I can run fortnite just fine but I'm nowhere near close to meeting the min spec for pubg.

Also there's no way I'd give money to someone who thinks there's nothing wrong with suing over what they're suing over.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:56 pm »

So, the Steam sale has begun.

Standard disclaimers apply if you don't want to get bent over. Check price history.

I'm not telling you not to buy if you're fine with the ravaging, but I personally won't be picking up anything that had its price increased prior to the sale.

Hotfire90

« Reply #15071 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:46 pm »

Shadowrun Returns is free on Humble It requires subscribing to the newsletter though and the key expires on the 7th July.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: June 21, 2018, 12:40:29 pm »

So, the Steam sale has begun.

Standard disclaimers apply if you don't want to get bent over. Check price history.

I'm not telling you not to buy if you're fine with the ravaging, but I personally won't be picking up anything that had its price increased prior to the sale.

Is there any way to do that through steam? Or do you have to rely on third party sites for price checking? If you use a third party one, do you have a recommendation? I'm not a fan of the isthereanydeal website, I'd be curious to know if there are better resources.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: June 21, 2018, 12:45:11 pm »

A thing to keep in mind with third party checkers is that sometimes they'll do stuff like include bundles with the discounts and base prices, and that can throw things off. Doing research before you buy or not is always a good policy.

Also this year's gimmick is a game on steam's website that enters you in some sort of game giveaway.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: June 21, 2018, 12:47:16 pm »

About 2/3rds of my wishlist is discounted, and about half of that is 50% or more. Yeah, Steam is going to get some of my monies again this year.
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1134