Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453663 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #14970 on: March 03, 2018, 09:37:06 pm »

Apparently Startopia is 1 dollar on Steam
There's some other pretty neat deals too but Startopia is the one that stood out to me on that list

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14971 on: March 06, 2018, 12:43:51 am »

Just impulse bought Superflight for $1.50.  Normally $3.  It's a nice little indie gem.  Very simple game, but great execution.  The sense of motion and scale in the environments is really nice.  The gameplay is novel, solid, satisfying, and can be picked up in seconds, although it will take a few minutes before you start to get comfortable with the nuance of motion required to pull off more difficult routes.  The procedurally generated maps make this fun to play for longer than you'd expect.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14972 on: March 20, 2018, 05:55:07 pm »

Freeman Guerrilla Warfare is 27% off ($11) on https://chrono.gg for the next 16 or so hours.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14973 on: March 20, 2018, 06:45:13 pm »

Hollow Knight is currently on sale for -34% on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/367520/Hollow_Knight/

Apparently it's really really good? I just bought it.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14974 on: March 21, 2018, 02:48:16 am »

Hollow Knight is currently on sale for -34% on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/367520/Hollow_Knight/

I bought it ages ago after how much everyone was going on about it. It's got a great art style and atmosphere, but I found the gameplay a bit meh. It's like a very stripped down cross between Dark Souls and an old school platformer, but abit too slow to be an old school platformer, and too basic to be a Dark Souls-like.

That being said, it's apparently MASSIVE. So if you're into exploration/'I wonder what's round the next corner' it's supposed to be great. I'll definitely give it another go at some point, but it wasn't something that grabbed me first time round.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: March 21, 2018, 03:04:25 am »

Battle Brothers is 50% off.

So far I'm loving it. Seems far more procedural (good) than what I was given to understand. Also it doesnt seem that abandoned (as I was given to undrstand as well)  they do add new stuff from time to time.

Would be nice to get playable necromancers if I may say (maybe as a separate campaign?)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14976 on: March 21, 2018, 08:54:59 am »

I bought it ages ago after how much everyone was going on about it. It's got a great art style and atmosphere, but I found the gameplay a bit meh. It's like a very stripped down cross between Dark Souls and an old school platformer, but abit too slow to be an old school platformer, and too basic to be a Dark Souls-like.
Thank you! I thought I was the only one! My biggest problem with the game is that you have no idea what you’re doing most of the time. In dark souls, you’d at least be told to ring the bells of awakening or kill the lords of cinder, but here you’re just a murderhobo.

People say the game is like dark souls but the only thing it has in common with it is the atmosphere and I guess the story (haven’t gotten that far unfortunately). Gameplay is nothing like it (except a bloodstain mechanic), and as a result playing the game feels like eating a chicken flavoured piece of celery. Sure, they may taste the same, but it still doesn’t feel right.

The soundtrack is good, but I don’t think it’s used effectively. The game constantly plays sad and melancholy music which gets  repetitive. They change tracks frequently and they do sound different, but they all evoke the exact same feelings and emotions, so it’s like there’s no change at all. Not every location has to evoke sadness and melancholy! If you want to see an example of a well varied soundtrack, compare the carnival and forest themes in Nier:Automata to the crossroads and forest themes in hollow night.

If there is one thing the game does well though, it’s boss fights. I only fought the first two, but they stand out in comparison to the rest of the game. The fights are a good challenge and the battle themes are a great break from the otherwise monotonous soundtrack.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:32:20 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14977 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:33 am »

It's the art style that's made me hold off. "Grimcute" isn't my cup of tea.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: March 21, 2018, 11:06:21 am »

Hollow Knight
I thought it was brilliantly well done game - graphics, sound, music, gameplay; they all really worked together.

My only real complaint was one of the optional levels (the White Place), where they decided to replace the natural aesthetic that had been working so well throughout the game for... saw blades. A funny comment I saw on YouTube:
King: I'm gonna redecorate.
Bugs: splendid idea milord, what do you have in mind?
King: I was thinking... saws.
Bugs: Saws, milord?
King: Circle saws, fucking everywhere. Make it so
Bugs: ... Saws?
King: ... MAKE IT SO. AND PUT THEM ON RAILS.
Bugs: Very well, milord.

Now, that said, I don't think that the game's necessarily for everyone, and the music does tend towards the bleak end of the spectrum - you are exploring the bones of what was once a thriving civilization, after all. But there are some just amazingly beautiful parts:
The boss fights are also really well done - difficult without becoming controller-throwing hard. Unless you want them to be, since you can re-fight most of the bosses with their difficulty turned up to 11.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:10:24 am by AlStar »

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14979 on: March 22, 2018, 02:21:33 pm »

How does the new Humble Monthly Bundle look to everyone?

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/p/march_2018_monthly

The early unlocks this month are Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, GOD EATER 2: Rage Burst, and Mafia III + Mafia III: Sign of the Times.

I subscribed to last month because of Dark Souls 3, but I'm not so sure about this month. I've heard that God Eater 2 is a more actiony Monster Hunter with a surprisingly deep bullet crafting system, and I've heard that Mafia 3 is a good story-driven open world game.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14980 on: March 22, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »

Mafia III's combat is god-awful though. Interesting enough story I guess...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14981 on: March 22, 2018, 03:55:31 pm »

I've had Humble Monthly for a little over a year now, and this is the first month I've skipped, mainly because Mafia III and the newest Deus Ex would be too much for my computer to handle and their reception was that they were okay, but not amazing sequels.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: March 22, 2018, 04:06:37 pm »

If anyone happens to see Wurm Unlimited at a major discount, please post in the thread or otherwise let me know.

I unfortunately missed its $1 sale as part of the humble bundle a few months back. I imagine it is not likely to get that cheap again for a long time, but I might be willing to put in ~$15 [$LOCALCURRENCY] (so probably ~$10 USD) to try it out.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14984 on: March 23, 2018, 05:23:25 am »

They're handing out F1 2015 for free atm too.

Tropico 5 is not that bad. A bit more challenging than some other titles. But I think they have simplified some things too much. I completed the main campaign and that of espionage, which are pretty witty, especially the last mission :P .

Orwell, that's included there is an interesting game as well.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 1134