Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456203 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14430 on: May 25, 2017, 02:53:40 pm »

Not a sale, but Gwent public Beta is now on GoG

https://playgwent.com/en/play-gog/success

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14431 on: May 28, 2017, 04:13:42 am »

Okay, it's been three days since I bought Black Desert Online and I've logged 72 hours, so... uh, you can probably guess that I'm recommending it.

Were I to try to summarize the whole, it would be this: I bought it for the PvP, but the life skills and commerce sold me on it.

I'll preface this by noting that I'm one of those people who abhors trading and crafting in MMOs, and in most SP RPGs. I think it's fucking awful, and is usually a massive money-sink doubling as a huge barrier between players and endgame content. The way most MMOs go, you have the choice between crafting everything yourself so that the grandchild who inherits your account will be able to gear up, or dumping massive amounts of currency into modestly reducing the time and tedium (usually by buying mats in bulk and following optimized leveling guides). Early crafting isn't worthwhile, lategame crafting requires massive amounts of time to be more than marginally profitable, usually.

I love how BDO completely does an end-run around that. It costs pocket change to level, tedium has been minimized (usually by designing boring activities so that they can be easily AFKed), and you make damn good profit from beginning to endgame. You can literally set up a wheat farm and start churning out beer for massive gains in your first couple hours, or make millions AFK fishing with the starter rod. And the same applies to everything, it's trivial to make money, and the places you'd expect to see money-sinks don't have them (restoring horses, buying consumables, &c.).

I feel much better about the RNG upgrade system now that I know that that is basically the money-sink and a very gentle, sloping barrier between midgame and endgame. Which can be circumvented as well, provided someone sells what you want.

Now, I also usually hate crafting and trading because they're dull and repetitive. But this single time, the way BDO's commercial empire-building, life skills, and side-quests/exploration with meaningful rewards that you want at any level, they've beaten that. For some reason I'm finding myself absolutely loving that side of stuff. Right now I'm planning on traveling west to set up a shipyard and supply chain for it so that I can get fishing boats going before I hit 45. Got my Balenos to +3, my Silver-Embroidered fishy clothes to +1 (and burned god knows how many shooting for +2). Got my Yuria Crimson Flame to +9, my Steel Dagger to +7, a full set of Bares PRI accessories 'cause I'm poor, a set of Grunil's from +10 on the chest to +5 on the gloves/feet, all with blue bonus stats. I've got most of the gems I want for it in storage, waiting until I'm past the early PvP vulnerability hump. I'm just shy of level 42 and carefully avoiding combat. In maybe 15-20 hours of active play and a bunch more AFKing, I made enough to totally set myself up with the gear I plan to carry until I can start replacing bits with boss loot &c., and I was literally just wandering around doing random shit, not hardcore farming.

I did that in three days (admittedly on Steam double-exp channels), it felt fucking fantastic, and not once did I ever start to get bored. They've done a marvelous job of incentivizing variation and avoidance of active grinding, it's legitimately more efficient to do rotations for an hour, go do some energy-intensive skilling or exploring, AFK fish/grind for an hour or two with a browser window open, then pop back over and do something else entirely. The little things, like being able to browse and use all the menus while AFK crafting, the lack of fast travel, needing to go to nodes to open them and hire workers, but not to remove your CP or deploy workers you already have. The team that designed this game are spot fucking on for knowing how to keep people involved and interested. PvP sounds like it has a few problems (mostly relating to assholes running into your rotation, shouting "my farm", and trying to kill you without even asking to group), but still seems better implemented than most MMOs, particularly with the nature of risk--enough to make you wary about getting killed, not enough to make you hide in safe zones forever. Not flawless, there are periodic autopath SNAFUs and stuff, but the core gameplay is big, fun, and I haven't even touched PvP, post-55, or guild play yet.

If you have any affection for MMOs, fucking try it. It's five bucks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: May 28, 2017, 03:07:09 pm »

The Total War series including DLCs are on sale at Gamesplanet: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/search?page=1&query=total+war&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Anywhere from 15% - 75% off.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:23 am »

GOG's summer sale is on! Lots of good games, looks like good discounts.  https://www.gog.com/

Also, they released Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas! YES!

Between those and Dragon Dogma I've got a ton of RPGs to play.  Perfect for post-breakup time management.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: June 06, 2017, 09:59:31 am »

Also a bunch of games got added to GOG Connect.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: June 06, 2017, 10:54:26 am »

I've noticed Frog Fractions 2 are in the current Humble Bundle. I'm split between throwing money at them and not wanting to spoil the good memories of FF1.
Does anyone know if, uh, it's just as good at teaching fractions to kids as the first one was?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: June 06, 2017, 04:03:44 pm »

Placing it here because I got no clue if I should necro the thread or not, but Battleborn is now mostly free to play. Mostly because the singleplayer campaign still requires purchase. The multiplayer component, however, appears to be completely free. I say appears because I'm still downloading the game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14437 on: June 07, 2017, 01:17:19 am »

I've noticed Frog Fractions 2 are in the current Humble Bundle. I'm split between throwing money at them and not wanting to spoil the good memories of FF1.
Does anyone know if, uh, it's just as good at teaching fractions to kids as the first one was?

I've seen bits and pieces of someone playing it. It's very different from the first game. It seems to have a lot more depth than the original, the scale is a little insane actually, and the controls are a lot more difficult to learn. The difficulty level overall just seems to be a lot higher. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners at learning fractions. It's definitely more advanced and requires a lot more patience and dedication.

I thought a bit about picking it up myself (after all, we could all use to brush up on our fractions), but honestly, I don't think I have the time to commit to really getting much out of it.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: June 08, 2017, 01:50:40 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/

Payday 2 currently Free to Own right now on steam apparently.  Right on the heels of them finishing off their big DLC sale before they merge everything.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: June 16, 2017, 11:42:09 am »

Huh. If you didn't notice mention popping up in the free games thread, Fantasy General looks like it's going free at gog for a day or two.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14440 on: June 16, 2017, 03:02:33 pm »

*yoink*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: June 16, 2017, 04:48:30 pm »

Looks pretty cool.

Also, I finally managed to resolve a very, very old issue that still happens with trying to purchase from GOG.com, in that my card always gets rejected(free games like the above were okay). Paid through the PayPal option instead. I can has GOG now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: June 16, 2017, 04:53:51 pm »

Huh. If you didn't notice mention popping up in the free games thread, Fantasy General looks like it's going free at gog for a day or two.

Sweet! Played the hell out of that years ago. Probably still have it on CD somewhere, but a digital version that works on my current computer would be quite welcome.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: June 19, 2017, 11:35:47 am »

hmmmmmmmmmm....there was a website that hosted the dos version online and I played through it recently. Have to say it didn't really hold up as much as I thought it would. It's kinda....basic compared to how I remembered it, the UI is awful, and there are very few tactics compared to something like HOMM or more recent generaly games.

It's ok for £1, but I wouldn't get too excited about it if you're returning after playing it 20 years ago. One of those best to leave as a memory in my opinion.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #14444 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:04 am »

It was free at the time of posting.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1134