Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454693 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #14070 on: January 30, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »

My Steam changed its language on me for no reason. I know I didn't change it.

Is it possible someone has access to your account?

It's more likely due to the fact that releasing untested Steam updates and quickly hotfixing things that go wrong is part of the culture at Valve. "Non-critical" features like language switching, broadcasting, and in-home streaming are frequent victims.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14071 on: January 30, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14072 on: January 30, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »

Haha, I really have to try that now that they fixed the "bug".

Basically, they didn't wire up the difficulty settings. So people who completed the original game on hardest difficulty were playing the same game as the easiest difficulty. But the game was complex to learn and time-consuming enough that nobody noticed.

Then, when XCOM II (Terror from the Deep) was under development, player feedback said "boost the difficulty", that they were absolutely stomping that game even on the hardest difficulty: that it's a great game, but a cakewalk. So what did they do? The easiest difficulty level on XCOM II was set to the hardest difficulty on XCOM I, but not the actual hardest difficulty, the theoretical hardest difficulty that would have existed if the bug wasn't in there. The result is that XCOM II on the hardest difficulty is truly an insane game to play, and even on the easiest level it's 10 times harder than the original release version of XCOM I hardest level.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:56:17 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14073 on: January 30, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

Tbh TFTD's difficulty came more from the shitty stats on your equipment, darkness, and tough foes than from general difficulty IMO.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14074 on: January 30, 2017, 08:13:03 pm »

It's a general stat buff for the enemies. You really should crank up the game on hardest difficulty and see what actually happens.

Greys become like super-snipers, with amazing view range and accuracy. I've had my entire team massacred on turn one just trying to get out of the plane to get cover, and they never even got a glimpse of what was shooting at them.

Another time, there were a couple of greys in the bridge of a small downed alien sub, they had corners to hide behind, basically massacred my whole team trying to get a line of fire on them. To take out even low-level grunts who have 2+ guys in a control room, you'd probably need grenades on hardest difficulty, direct fire weapons are no good because they have amazing reflexes and never miss.

Also, Lobstermen. Goddamn lobstermen on hardest level. My entire team opened up with heavy explosive grenades against a single lobsterman, as well as trying torpedoes, rocket launchers, demolition charges. You name it, if it existed, I loaded the whole team up to try it. It was like a gag scene in a battle anime. Each time there was an unholy pile of explosion and debris, everything terrain-wise blown to bits. But then, next rounds starts and I hear "squick-squick-squick" as the Lobsterman is moving around. In the end, I discovered the only way to stop lobstermen AT ALL on hardest difficulty was stun weapons, so i had to (at the start) give my guys stun batons and try and sneak up on a lobsterman who has a plasma rifle. Perhaps some of the end-game explosives can hurt a lobsterman, but nothing you get near the start can.

So you can take out bases (which are full of lobstermen usually), but you'd need to 100% equip stun weapons, which would really require you to mass produce those stun grenade launchers, but the problem is that you need the alien materials you get from bases to make those ...

So it's not just the gear, hardest difficulty on XCOM II causes you to have to play completely differently to how you'd play on XCOM I or the same game on basic difficulty.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:19:19 pm by Reelya »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14075 on: January 30, 2017, 08:17:24 pm »

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: January 30, 2017, 08:19:10 pm »

I've seen lobstermen survive three high explosives. And that's on level 2 of difficulty. Or even 1, I'm not really sure.

Lobstermen are the perfect illustration of my point: they are atupidly tough, and make your weapons seem pea shooters.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: January 30, 2017, 08:20:53 pm »

But there's a noticeable difference between level 1 and level 5 difficulty.

A single sonic cannon blast will in fact kill a lobsterman most of the time, on the easiest level. So if you save scum, you can get through just about anything.

That doesn't work on the hardest difficulty, even your entire team of 10-14 guys unloading all types of weapons onto a Lobsterman won't take him down. One hit with a stun weapon does the job however, which I discovered out of desperation. You really don't want to be sneaking up on an armed lobsterman to do hand-to-hand combat with a cheap stun baton.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:35:30 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14079 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:21 pm »

Not *most of the time*, but with enough savescumming, sure.
Assuming a sonic cannon, which has 130 average damage.  That means 1-260 damage"Easy" Lobstermen have 8 front armor and 90 health.
But wait!  They only take 50% of all sonic damage (30% gauss, incendiary, explosive, and a laughable 20% from AP, already the weakest weapons).

So you need to roll 98+ on 1-130.  The chance of that is pretty close to 25%.  Flanking shots aren't much better, since most of their "armor" is that flat damage resistance value instead of the directional armor.
And that's with sonic cannons, the plasma-equivalent!  With gauss or explosives, you better have packed extra ammo and saved money for more cannon fodder.

Again, those numbers on on easy.  Have fun!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14080 on: January 30, 2017, 11:30:27 pm »

X-Com: UFO Defense (that is, Ye Olde X-Com The First) is being given away for free on Humble Bundle so if you want a free Steam copy of old X-Com, go get it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14081 on: January 31, 2017, 02:56:05 am »

Hey guys, Humble Bundle is offering the original xcom for free.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14082 on: January 31, 2017, 03:09:38 am »

Does anyone ever check the thread before posting? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14083 on: January 31, 2017, 03:11:06 am »

No.

Speaking of the original xcom is now free on humble bundle.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14084 on: January 31, 2017, 04:21:44 am »

Indeed, it is now free and not full of lobstermen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1134