Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1453954 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13680 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »

HRRRRRRNG. I was going to buy Fallout 4 but then I saw Mixed steam reviews. Is it really worse than Fallout 3/NV?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: October 19, 2016, 05:34:32 pm »

HRRRRRRNG. I was going to buy Fallout 4 but then I saw Mixed steam reviews. Is it really worse than Fallout 3/NV?
Some will disagree on some parts but let me just give my own review here:

It has the best combat so far. Same goes for power armour. Some complain the power armour comes too soon, or skews the balance (which it does), but I feel that it is more than fun enough to make up for that. Obviously the best graphics, and the crafting system and settlements are really cool. The world is actually pretty well-crafted, though the quest number is far lower (a lot of it is radiant stuff). The main story is mediocre, in my opinion (though some would call it bad). I like it more than FO3's, but it obviously does not hold a candle to NV's, though that one ranks among the best stories I've seen in games to date.

The dialogue system is one of the main dividers, and the first source of the ever-present calls of "dumbing down" (hate that term). See, everything is voiced, so there are less options. Four, to be exact. While it reduces the roleplaying options, people forget that outside NV, there weren't tons of meaningful choices either. That's not a point in 4's favour, mind you, just stating what it is. There are some nice touches to the dialogue, though: you can walk around during conversations, wearing power armour with a helmet will muffle your voice, being drunk causes some slurring, and skipping dialogue will result in your character going "uh huh" or "sure".

People also misconstrue what makes an RPG. A lot of reviews attack the lack of stats, but... stats don't make an RPG. Stats are purely mechanical, they can't make your roleplay better or worse. There was also the pre-release hype, with people who weren't accustomed to how Bethesda makes their games finding out it was not the be all, end all.

Survival mode is also pretty sweet, though only being able to sleep sucks when you can be one-shot by a hidden raider with a mininuke.

A lot of people also criticize FO4 based on the first two games of the series but... while good for the time, they were not THAT good. Nostalgia's a harsh mistress.

All in all, I recommend it if it's on sale and you got the cash.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: October 19, 2016, 05:45:32 pm »

A lot of people also criticize FO4 based on the first two games of the series but... while good for the time, they were not THAT good. Nostalgia's a harsh mistress.
I can't play Fallout 2 anymore becasue I'm just so sick of that goddamn temple.

I liked Fallout 4. The gameplay is good, it being voiceacted is neat, the crafting doesn't feel tacked on, and the companions are decent enough but dogmeat still lets you use the lone wanderer perk if you don't want another personality.

Survival mode is great, though when I played it, it was the beta version, so it wasn't the most stable. They might have fixed that now (as I've found vanilla to be very stable, and not had any crashes, really, that I can recall).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: October 19, 2016, 06:02:04 pm »

I would also recommend Fallout 4, I enjoyed my time with it. Sure it's not as good as New Vegas but New Vegas is a hard act to follow.

The overarching story isn't great but I enjoyed it maybe up to the mid point. As more and more gets revealed it becomes less and less interesting. But doing the side quests (not the radiant ones) and exploring the world was enjoyable. The radiant side quests were a never ending irritant though. Go here, defend that, wash, rinse, repeat.

I really liked crafting and modifying weapons, but the way you collected materials was a pain in the ass. You had to pick up everything. I felt ridiculous running around with a backpack full of coffee cups and tin trays.

The settlement building was interesting, but it seemed half baked. A lot of it was more annoying than it had to be, but some of that was probably because it was designed with consoles in mind as well. I'm glad it was there but at the same time I thought it could have been implemented better. I haven't played with the settlement related DLC though so I don't know if that really changes much.

Speaking of DLC, is the season pass worthwhile? Or would it be better to wait for a deeper discount? It seems to get a lot of negative reviews on steam.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: October 19, 2016, 06:09:47 pm »

I too liked FO4, despite poo-pooing FO3.

It's a Bethesda game to its core, so if you're still on board after that, I'll say it's one of the most polished Bethesda experiences I've had. Fewest bugs, most features, best useability features and reworked collectibles so they're actually desirable, least "Bethesda-y" same-y design. (It's still that, just less so than Skyrim and FO3 to me.)

Settlement building and customization can keep you playing for dozens of hours if that's your thing. If it's not making the perfect settlement, it's fortifying all the settlements. Ultimately there's no point to doing it other than having an actual base there to defend against random raider or monster attacks. But, mods, and if you're about getting immersed and putting your stamp on the world FO4 is the first Bethesda game to really do that outside of your player home.

If the game still has one great failing, it's that it's a Bethesda game. You play and play and play and then one day just kinda....stop when things stop mattering. It's never stopped them ultimately from being good games before and FO4 is no exception.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: October 19, 2016, 06:24:38 pm »

yoink!
What?!

...Oh, we're discussing Fallout 4.
Yeah, combat is awesome, it looks real pretty, building shit is fun, basically everything else is garbage.
Still has plenty of the usual problems Bethesda games suffer from and they added fucking voice acting, so no matter what kind of character you're trying to play they're still actually the same mild-mannered dweeb whose voice gets really annoying before too long. Basically kills all replayability after you've played both sexes.
The progression system also feels somewhat less interesting than in past games, but then I just jumped straight to the most overpowered steamroller-type build I could come up with and didn't really play any other characters, so I didn't see a whole lot of it.

Of course, I'm sure there are mods available that would assuage, if not entirely fix, these problems, but I played it without any such thing.
I was going to say something else here but I need to go to an appointment and I don't have time to try and remember what it was.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: October 19, 2016, 06:25:43 pm »

People also misconstrue what makes an RPG.

I know very well what makes an rpg! https://youtu.be/LADLv1803Vw
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:01 pm »

People also misconstrue what makes an RPG.

I know very well what makes an rpg! https://youtu.be/LADLv1803Vw

Dice! All RPG's must have dice! Damnit....

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: October 20, 2016, 02:49:09 pm »

One Finger Death Punch is on sale for $1 at Chrono.gg.

If you don't already own it, go buy it now.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13690 on: October 20, 2016, 03:04:22 pm »

One Finger Death Punch is on sale for $1 at Chrono.gg.

If you don't already own it, go buy it now.

Seconded.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: October 20, 2016, 04:28:42 pm »

Thirded! You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least give it a shot.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: October 20, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »

Fourth'd!!!

I'll even go as far as saying OFDP is a bargain off-sale.  My wrists cried for mercy before I finished it, but I got way more than 5 bucks of fun out of it, for sure.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13693 on: October 21, 2016, 02:20:22 am »

I once decided to go for a high score in survival and record it. I managed nearly an hour before finally falling. I hardly blinked the whole time. Then I replayed the video and was surprised to see how fast I'd been moving. You just get into the zone and your fingers fly...

I highly recommend a controller, though. Much easier to go faster, and easier on your wrists.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: October 21, 2016, 09:15:10 am »

Dungeon Keeper is the new 'Origin, on the house' title.
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1134