Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454156 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13470 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41:44 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread but Ubisoft has been giving away games the for the past couple of months. August's game is Rayman Origins which was a very well received platformer that came out 5 years ago.

You need a uplay account to add it to your uplay library. I'm not sure when this month's offer expires but I'd grab it tonight just to be safe.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: August 31, 2016, 07:57:43 pm »

Sierra Humble Bundle. $20 for Quest games and other stuff, including the recent remake of King's Quest. https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13472 on: August 31, 2016, 08:24:33 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread but Ubisoft has been giving away games the for the past couple of months. August's game is Rayman Origins which was a very well received platformer that came out 5 years ago.

You need a uplay account to add it to your uplay library. I'm not sure when this month's offer expires but I'd grab it tonight just to be safe.

It was, although it doesn't hurt to mention it again.

I mean, I saw that it required uplay and NOPEd out immediately. I have Origin on my PC but uplay is just a bridge too far.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: September 01, 2016, 12:17:15 am »

Sierra Humble Bundle. $20 for Quest games and other stuff, including the recent remake of King's Quest. https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle
Nice to see that Arcanum is on Steam now. For someone who hasn't played these games, are they worth it, or should I just pick up Arcanum on its own?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:29 am »

Unless you want the adventure games I'd say skip it. I can't speak for most of the others in there since I haven't played them but Arcanum in my opinion, despite trying real hard to actually be something was pretty bad.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13475 on: September 01, 2016, 01:35:16 am »

Eeehhh... it was fairly alright as that sort of game during that particular period went. Definitely not really amazing, though. Was just kinda' rough all over.

There's at least one complete LP flapping around, though, over on the archive if nowhere else. Might be a better use of your time to just read that instead of get the game :V

E: Though I'll give it this much, it probably is still one of the better steampunk games out there that actually has something resembling a plot. Definitely in the top few RPGs of its type, for that particular genre. It's just that that's... not exactly a high bar to pass.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:40:44 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13476 on: September 01, 2016, 02:33:00 am »

Cook Serve Delicious is a lot of fun. My only problem with ingredients is when they switch the keyboard shortcuts them up on you between food items.
Yeah, I ran into that going from soup to nachos.  I changed rice to I and beans to E (and olives to V?) because that's how they are in soup. That's the only time I've had to remap the keys, though.  P for "place in bowl" is a bit inconvenient but easy to remember.

Also... nachos with rice and olives?  Sounds a bit odd but yummy.

Wait... You can remap the keys? THIS IS A GAME CHANGER.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: September 01, 2016, 03:10:24 am »

Nice to see that Arcanum is on Steam now. For someone who hasn't played these games, are they worth it, or should I just pick up Arcanum on its own?

Arcanum is effen great. 

It has its detractors, but most people (if they even finished) probably saw less than 1/3 of the content. 

let me lay out the positives:

- character creation is hugely varied.  Play style and quest choices depend on your focuses,  be they tech, magic, social, or racial.  You have legitimately different options depending on several different criteria, and a social gentleman dwarf sharpshooter plays different from a charisma-dumped summoner/necromancer hybrid.

- vast number of side quests involving ancient gods, reclusive elves, and other such.  Probably most people never even see the elf city.

- choices actually matter.  Mostly it is the stupid good/evil axis, but the quests give you a legitimate path throughout the game, either way.

- people complain about the turnabout in the third act, but it is well backed up by the fluff revealed in side quests.  You are rewarded for going out of your way to explore, research, and put together clues.

- for the final parts, you can get a huge number of choices for party members.  Including ancient demigods and dragons which, again, even most people whom finish the game might never have realized were options.

Others:  Quest for Glory is one of many peoples' favorite games, probably still holds up.  The other quest games were fun point-and-click adventures which may or may not stand up now.  Hard to say.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:27 am »

Finding all the ways to die hilariously in Quest for Glory 1 is a game all its own. I've heard the Kings Quest remake was very well done.

The adventure Sierra games all had good humor.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: September 01, 2016, 10:13:55 am »

I think the main problem people had with growing up when playing Sierra games, being able to die and unwinnable situations occationally, is much less of a problem now since many people know to expect that and can save regularly to avoid it. As well as having the internet if you truly get stuck on any of the puzzles. Though leaving the game and coming back to it a few days later does help with thinking up new solutions to problems. They can be difficult but with saving you shouldn't be afraid to try things.

I agree that Arcanum is a good game, the world is interesting and the way it's portrayed is very nice. I think the weak points of the game are the combat system and magic being very powerful.
My personal favorite aspect of the game is the music as it was performed with all string instruments.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: September 01, 2016, 10:15:38 am »

I thought I recalled reading about Sierra recently.

I'll just leave this here. Interesting discussion about why Sierra point-and-clicks are the way they are.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: September 01, 2016, 10:26:01 am »

For me, most of my problem with arcanum was just general implementation. Combat, moving around, general layouts of the place... not so much the balance, but basically all the stuff involving the actual gameplay and design. Even a lot of the dialogue trees and whatnot were just not really engaging to follow, for all that, yeah, a lot of the world building and such was pretty nice. It wasn't exactly bad, especially when it came out, it just didn't feel all that good to play, t'me. Have tried probably five or six times (every year or three since it was released, more or less) to get in and give it a go, and I usually give out before I get very far out of the second town/first city, if that.

... though I honestly have a similar problem with Planescape (except even worse, because I usually can't even manage to make it two quests out of the starting tower-thing before finding playing to be miserable and going off to do something else), so maybe I'm just fairly picky about stuff for that style of game :-\

Any case, I wouldn't really warn people off of it, just to not go in expecting too much, particularly on the non-aesthetic/writing parts (and to a fair degree, not those, either -- like said, probably one of the better implementations of steampunk on that front, but that's not saying too terribly much). Definitely only get it cheap (or very cheap >_>), if you're going to.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: September 01, 2016, 01:25:37 pm »

Yeah, if I'm getting it on it's own, I'll wait 'til it goes on sale. And I'm getting that the combat and UI are not so great. For comparison's sake, is it better or worse than Baldur's Gate?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: September 01, 2016, 01:35:47 pm »

...kinda worse, I'd say. At least than the original BG1 and 2.  Can't talk about either that PlayStation game that was released afterwards nor about the new expansion (but at a glance both sound pretty bad)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: September 01, 2016, 01:41:00 pm »

I completed Planescape: Torment and enjoyed it but have never completed BG1, BG2, or any Ultima game aside from Ultima 8.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1134