Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454355 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #13410 on: August 10, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »

That's why I haven't gone out and bought Banished. The complete lack of danger of losing your village is a turn off.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13411 on: August 10, 2016, 03:03:12 pm »

The problem is once you become invested in DF, literally every single other town-making game falls short by default. So every single comparison becomes "yeah it's okay... but DF does it better".

You're not wrong.

Even so, I'm prepared for other town making games to offer something different, even if it is lesser.  But I do think it is fair to measure them against things like Sim City 2000, Caesar, Tropico, or Stronghold.

Measured against those, which are probably 20 years old now on average, Banished kinda sucks.
No no, I agree with that front.

Banished is pretty stupid. It's like a town sim where there's absolutely no passion or love or charm. I really never understood how it was so frigging popular at launch. Interestingly enough though, this forum seemed to jump pretty quick on noticing how shit it was.

But I was kinda referring to more things like Prison Architect or any of these more popular ones. My friends ask me to play it and I say I can't because I won't like it. They say, but you love DF, how can you not like this? It's because I love DF that I can't like this. It would be unfair of me to play that game as all I'd do is criticize it for not being DF when it's not supposed to be DF. I am completely incapable of being able to blind myself to not compare it to DF because it's like telling me to enjoy the atmosphere of Mars when all I know how to do is breathe air like a normal human from Earth.

So in a way, DF has ruined all these games for me, even the good ones.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13412 on: August 10, 2016, 03:17:20 pm »

Banished is pretty stupid. It's like a town sim where there's absolutely no passion or love or charm. I really never understood how it was so frigging popular at launch.

I think it was because the graphics were reasonably good, and it aped a DF-like at first glance. I was attracted to it at the beginning too because of those reasons, but bad reviews started coming out very early on, luckily for me. Since then I've learned to check more than two sources for reviews before going for recently released indies (and/or avoid them until they've had a run and people still say they are decent)

Months afterwards I got a key for it as a sale reward at GoG, didn't pay it any attention until I read some guy somewhere (maybe in the steam review page for Planetbase?) state that Banished was actually good with so-and-so mods. I gave it a try with and without them, didn't find much of a difference, barring that with so-and-so mods you had a couple more of mostly cosmetic buildings.

I think it goes beyond it being a mediocre, passionless product, though... if they had stuck at cloning simcity, or tropico, or Caesar, verbatim or almost verbatim, at least it would have worked as a clone. But the thing is that it kind of falls somewhere in the middle of copying Tropico and copying Dwarf Fortress, without doing either very good, and sticking at a very superficial level.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: August 10, 2016, 04:06:54 pm »

I don't have space engy yet, I think it was in my wishlist some time ago, but never got around to picking it up when summer sale came.

You got a pm

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13414 on: August 11, 2016, 09:17:36 am »

Msg me an email and I'll forward Shelter 2 to someone. If I get more than one I'll randomize. No Bay12 newbs. You have to be experienced to raise lynx kittens.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:59:34 am by BigD145 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: August 11, 2016, 03:51:32 pm »

If for whatever reason you don't have it, nuCOM 2 is 45% off until the 15th.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: August 12, 2016, 08:53:53 am »

I see Tropico 5 is on sale. However, I got the base game without any DLCs. The complete package, game + DLC, is 10 USD. Are the DLCs worth it? Base game gets forfeited.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13417 on: August 12, 2016, 08:57:13 am »

From what I have heard, 4 is far, far better, but only 5 has mp. I seem to recall hearing that the MP had issues, but I may be misremembering.

I own 4 (and 3), but not 5. 4 is nice, but I only play it occasionally.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13418 on: August 12, 2016, 08:59:12 am »

I play 5 with a buddy online, which is quite a lot of fun. 5 did some things better than 4, and overall felt like the same game with more polish. The question was whether the DLC were worth 10 dollars though, right? I'd have to say yes, but only if you enjoy doing the singleplayer missions. The buildings range from utterly useless to seriously overpowered but they aren't necessary to enjoy the game.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13419 on: August 13, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »

Dungeons II is on sale for 75% off. There seem to be several Dungeon Keeper inspired games out now. Has anyone played Dungeons II, War for the Overworld and Dwelvers? I'd like to know how they compare before I buy one of them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13420 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:59 pm »

I got the first Dungeons and it has almost zero resemblance to DK except very superficially. It's more about running a Hero farm than making an actual lair. Don't know if DII is any better.
WftO is pretty close to DK, a bit more "indy", overall a decent clone without too much polish.
No idea about Dwelvers.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13421 on: August 13, 2016, 09:25:22 pm »

I think War for the Overworld is the closest one to the original Dungeon Keeper, but I haven't looked into it for a while so how it's developed over the last year or so is unknown to me.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13422 on: August 13, 2016, 09:29:02 pm »

We've got a thread for it that got a bump sometime fairly recent-ish. From what I recall, general consensus was that it's finally (as in, in the last year or two) been polished to the point it's a pretty worthy successor, and probably the best implementation of the original DK style among the recent batch, both in terms of implementation and stability/general technical competence. Haven't actually played it, though, m'self, just watched some LPs. Looked pretty solid, at the least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13423 on: August 14, 2016, 01:09:05 am »

I got Dungeons 2 last year and it's never worked for me - crashes every 5 minutes or so.  From reading the forums it seems to be a semi-common problem, apparently a patch back in October 2015 caused it.  I foolishly didn't get a refund when my many attempts to workaround it failed as the devs said they'd identified a potential cause and were working on a patch; almost a year later that patch has yet to arrive.  Supposedly they put the patch on hold for months to port the game to PS4 and are now working on a patch again, but that's been months in the works too.

From what I gather it's an ok DK clone when it works (unlike the first Dungeons) and plenty of people play it without crashing, so it may be worth checking out, but if you do and it does crash don't be like me - refund it asap.  Probably safer with one of the others though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13424 on: August 14, 2016, 01:47:21 am »

I didn't play Dungeons 2 but I played 1 and it was a big disappointment if you were looking for a DK successor. To be fair it's an ok dungeon decorator/hero farming simulator kinda thing. But the gameplay never really became especially good even at its own core mechanics. So you put all this time into an elaborate dungeon only to find it doesn't really matter or work how you expected it would.

Akylon has a pretty accurate description of WftO. I watched the game go through Kickstarter development and played it at several points and I think it's fairly solid now. Maybe has slightly less of that "living dungeon" feel than DK but its close enough to be good. I liked it enough I finished the base game. (Haven't played the DLC expansion yet.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1134