Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456450 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12885 on: February 23, 2016, 04:12:53 pm »

Dominions looks bad?  ???
Theres worse and better, but from the little I'd seen of dominions 3 I wouldn't exactly call it good looking.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: February 23, 2016, 04:16:14 pm »

Doesn't look bad, though. Just... maybe not good.

As for DW, it looks fine for a 2D space 4X -- Maybe not Galciv or whatev', but better than Space Empires. Almost certainly fancier than dominions 4 by most folks' appraisal. If you really want to know, just check out some screenies or vids, there's more than one LP for the game out there.

E: Also, some of the best damn looking games out there were made in the early to mid 90s. There was some hella' impressive spritework done in that era :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:18:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: February 23, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »

I'm going to have to condemn some of you to playing DOS CGA games, I think, so you can see something that looks really bad. Or, you know, pong.  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: February 23, 2016, 08:46:41 pm »

I got a 75% off coupon for Valkyria Chronicles, a game I already own.  It's free to the first person to PM me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: February 23, 2016, 09:09:13 pm »

I think Steam gave one to literally everyone who owns Valkyria Chronicles.

I guess someone thinks getting people to poke their friends might work better than trying to get it to stand out in the deluge of sales.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: February 23, 2016, 09:24:59 pm »

I think Steam gave one to literally everyone who owns Valkyria Chronicles.

I guess someone thinks getting people to poke their friends might work better than trying to get it to stand out in the deluge of sales.
Also to people who don't have it, like me. They may have just given it to everyone. At which point it would be easier to just make a regular discount.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: February 23, 2016, 09:27:43 pm »

I got a coupon without owning the game, so it could just be a mass marketing thing. Purchased afterwards, so I hope it's good.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: February 23, 2016, 09:29:57 pm »

I've got one too. Anyone who wants it, let me know.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:11 pm »

Purchased afterwards, so I hope it's good.

Haven't gotten around to trying it myself, but my impression is that it's like Final Fantasy Tactics, only in a WWI-WWII setting, ie guns and tanks instead of swords and magic.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: February 23, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »

Considering its published by SEGA, its probably part of their Valentines Day sale event. I also got coupons for Alpha Protocol and something called Tembo the Badass Elephant, both which are also SEGA published games.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: February 23, 2016, 10:04:04 pm »

bloated fractal spreadsheet nightmare

Challenge accepted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: February 23, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »

bloated fractal spreadsheet nightmare

Challenge accepted.
I didn't see it as all that bad. Maybe they cleaned up the UI for the PC port, I dunno.

All I recommend is using a controller. Last time I played there was little to no mouse support, and fine aiming with a keyboard is a bit of a nightmare.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: February 25, 2016, 12:59:01 pm »

Well, let's see. The Universe edition includes all previously-released versions and expansions, so you get basically the full DW experience. You can choose from several different "campaigns" taking place at different points in the universe's timeline. You can choose to play as a pirate faction in most of these campaigns if you so desire, shaking down weak empires and poorly-defended worlds for money and supplies.

As a normal empire, you have two primary types of ships: State-owned and Civilian. State-owned ships are your warships, your scouts, your construction vessels, and space stations. You can give them orders, you can decide when to build such things and how many to build, and you pay out of the empire's pocket for each one. Civilian vessels such as freighters, passenger transports, mining vessels, run around and do their own thing. You cannot directly control them in any way, nor can you order them to be built. However, since they are built at your government-owned shipyards, and they are vital for keeping an empire of any size moving smoothly, the construction of civilian vessels actually puts money in your pocket.

I already said there were more than a dozen races. Each of them have a type (humanoid, insectoid, etc), a preferred planet type, special victory conditions to pursue, racial bonuses, and bonuses from certain resources. Many of them also have unique techs, special buildings, or special government types. And speaking of government types, each one has its own bonuses and penalties to various aspects of your empire's abilities. You can change government types during gameplay, though you typically go through a period of unrest by doing so and unhappy worlds might decide to break off and become independent.

And then there's independent empires! Not only do you have the other main factions running around the galaxy, trying to win the game, but there are also dozens of tiny empires scattered all over the place. Sometimes they can be absorbed peacefully into your own empire, other times you will have to conquer them. And if you enable the appropriate settings, these small empires can eventually grow on their own, becoming new main factions that will also attempt to win the game! Pirates can do this as well.

Would you like to know more? There's still a lot to cover but I'd like to know what to focus on :P
I took the dive and bought it. Looks really good so far, but i haven't had a chance to actually play, just read up and look at the tutorials. I think I chose well. May try to let's play it at some point.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: February 25, 2016, 02:00:34 pm »

@Distant Worlds
List of moddable stuff:
New species classifications.  How each species types see each other.  (Insectoids and Humanoids naturally don't get along in vanilla.)
New government classifications.  How each government type see each other.
Tech Trees, including unique individual components that only X race can research.
Races and go even further, with how each individual race also sees each other. (You can make a custom insectoid race naturally like the Human race, but still dislike all the other humanoid races, for example.)

There are other stuff you can mod too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1134