Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456635 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12795 on: January 30, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »

How is it a problem, exactly? In what way does offering early access directly impact you?

It's kinda like paying a builder when they're halfway through actually building something... there's no real need for them to continue working to their best as they've already been paid.
According to my dad who works in construction, that's basically how it works. The contractor gets a down-payment, and further expenses are paid on a monthly schedule.
And using a poor analogy makes my point invalid then?
It certainly doesn't lend any weight to your point.

Okay then. It's like thousands of people giving you money to do something you don't really need to do now that you've already got the money.

Or what Persus said.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: January 30, 2016, 03:08:11 pm »

End users don't have legally binding contracts with devs. Contractors have contracts with their customers. Huge difference.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: January 30, 2016, 03:50:19 pm »

Isn't that what a license agreement is supposed to be?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: January 30, 2016, 03:56:19 pm »

...Technically?  But end user license agreements specify what the end user is allowed to do or not (in exchange for being allowed to use the product).  They're not the sort of contract that forces the devs to do anything.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: January 30, 2016, 03:59:11 pm »

Also eulas are generally considered useless if someone tried to actually act on them, as far as I've heard.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12800 on: January 30, 2016, 04:00:36 pm »

Could the discussion/argument over early access maybe move somewhere else? It's going on a bit long for the sales thread. :(

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: January 30, 2016, 04:05:32 pm »

The discussion has been had before at least once right here in sales.

tl;dr EULA's usually state users don't own software they bought, so go fuck yourselves and give the dev more money.

At least one EULA in existence says "do what you want".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 04:08:21 pm by BigD145 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: January 30, 2016, 05:54:29 pm »

Sunless Sea is both on a free weekend and 40% off on steam. It is a pretty great game that is still getting new content on a mostly regular basis and will receive a DLC in the future.
The thread's been dead for like six months, so I figure I might as well mention being really underwhelmed by Sunless Sea. It doesn't feel mechanically compelling and combat against ships feels like exploity dogfighting; just follow your target and they're not smart enough to figure out how to get you into their field. Combat against monsters feels like an exploity slog, since as far as I can figure there's nothing you can do except backpedal slowly and hope they're too dumb to move towards you. Maybe you can dogfight follow them as well, but I don't feel like that'd improve much.

The flavor is where I hear most of the praise for the game, but I unfortunately don't really see that either. It's an unusual world, but it doesn't feel horrifying, mysterious, or contrasted enough to be Lovecraftian, so it ends up just being peculiar in a somewhat dark way. Oh look, there's a colony of mute cannibals, they say hello. Oh look, a crewman goes insane, you shoot her and continue on. I didn't find it any more unique or interesting than offbeat "gremlins are a playable race!" or "gnomes are mushroom-folk!" style fantasy.

Trivially but I feel somewhat representatively, you're not sailing on the sea, you're sailing on the ze. Zailors eat zefood on the unterze. Which I'm sure was intended to feel flavorful but just comes off as gimmicky, like technobabble for mundane things in scifi. I feel like a lot of the rest of the game, mechanically and flavorwise, suffers from similar issues with trying for something neat and coming out flat.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12803 on: January 30, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »

Sunless Sea is both on a free weekend and 40% off on steam. It is a pretty great game that is still getting new content on a mostly regular basis and will receive a DLC in the future.
The thread's been dead for like six months, so I figure I might as well mention being really underwhelmed by Sunless Sea. It doesn't feel mechanically compelling and combat against ships feels like exploity dogfighting; just follow your target and they're not smart enough to figure out how to get you into their field. Combat against monsters feels like an exploity slog, since as far as I can figure there's nothing you can do except backpedal slowly and hope they're too dumb to move towards you. Maybe you can dogfight follow them as well, but I don't feel like that'd improve much.

The flavor is where I hear most of the praise for the game, but I unfortunately don't really see that either. It's an unusual world, but it doesn't feel horrifying, mysterious, or contrasted enough to be Lovecraftian, so it ends up just being peculiar in a somewhat dark way. Oh look, there's a colony of mute cannibals, they say hello. Oh look, a crewman goes insane, you shoot her and continue on. I didn't find it any more unique or interesting than offbeat "gremlins are a playable race!" or "gnomes are mushroom-folk!" style fantasy.

Trivially but I feel somewhat representatively, you're not sailing on the sea, you're sailing on the ze. Zailors eat zefood on the unterze. Which I'm sure was intended to feel flavorful but just comes off as gimmicky, like technobabble for mundane things in scifi. I feel like a lot of the rest of the game, mechanically and flavorwise, suffers from similar issues with trying for something neat and coming out flat.
Yeah there's not much to the combat and I can see how people can be really disappointed there, as I was when I found out it's not much more than an exercise in kiting. I was initially bored by the sheer volume of flavor but after going to my first couple islands and discovering the main conceit of the game (get stories > return to london > find more stories) I started to really get into character and ended up enjoying myself. I think you're underselling the story a little, I believe the game has a lot to offer on that front with the sheer volume of choices you have in every encounter. Personally I like interesting combat in my games but to anyone who's willing to overlook that and loves a sprawling world with lots of people to meet with stories to tell, I would heartily recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:15:00 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: January 30, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »

I can't hold it against anyone for not liking Sunless Sea. Failbetter's ideas about gameplay and story can be an acquired taste. But I feel like I have to defend the game somewhat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To each their own.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:57:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: January 30, 2016, 07:55:22 pm »

Very long discussion about the pros and cons of Sunless Sea
I like it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: January 31, 2016, 11:26:55 am »

I pretty much agree. The grind is insane too, since everything costs so much and missions typically pay so poorly you can't even afford to restock the supplies/fuel you used to complete it... and just forget about replacing any lost crew or repairing damage. So you're forced to circle around over and over grinding port reports for free fuel and penny shavings just to afford the supplies to do the next mission.

However, what really killed it for me was the inexcusably glacial ship movement speed. I might have been able to forgive everything else about the game and get some enjoyment out of it if the ship moved twice as fast, or maybe even 50% faster. But no, probably about 70% of my "gameplay" time was spent sitting there, staring at my ship, doing NOTHING while it slowwwwlllyyy puttered around. Despite what the game makes it seem like, there's no *actual* risk of sailing the "zee" except the plainly visible and easy to avoid monsters so it's just so incredibly dull.

After my first captain died (due to running out of money due to trying a mission without enough supplies because I was getting bored of the grind), the idea of restarting and grinding all over again in the slowboat just made me nope out of the game and uninstall it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: January 31, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »

... soooooo. Anyone checked out the AoM dlc? Reviews seem somewhat lackluster, heh, but if anyone's got some first hand opinions to share...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: January 31, 2016, 02:18:05 pm »

Flying Dice: Unless you're paying more to get into alpha/beta, of course. Like with some f2p games, where you have to pay to get in before they open to the public (the Ghost in the Shell FPS is an example), or the more egregious EA games like Planetary Annihilation, where if you wanted to get it while it was in alpha it was $90, decreasing through successive stages, and despite that massive money grab, they released 1.0 with major features missing!

That's a fair point, and I avoid things like that on general principle.

Though I'd say that paying for early access to a F2P game is rather different--you're specifically paying money to get into the game early (usually with some bonus content for post-release) with no clouding of motive around the complete game. There's no argument to be made that you paid for a complete game if the complete game was going to be free, after all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: January 31, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »

I pretty much agree. The grind is insane too, since everything costs so much and missions typically pay so poorly you can't even afford to restock the supplies/fuel you used to complete it... and just forget about replacing any lost crew or repairing damage. So you're forced to circle around over and over grinding port reports for free fuel and penny shavings just to afford the supplies to do the next mission.

However, what really killed it for me was the inexcusably glacial ship movement speed. I might have been able to forgive everything else about the game and get some enjoyment out of it if the ship moved twice as fast, or maybe even 50% faster. But no, probably about 70% of my "gameplay" time was spent sitting there, staring at my ship, doing NOTHING while it slowwwwlllyyy puttered around. Despite what the game makes it seem like, there's no *actual* risk of sailing the "zee" except the plainly visible and easy to avoid monsters so it's just so incredibly dull.

After my first captain died (due to running out of money due to trying a mission without enough supplies because I was getting bored of the grind), the idea of restarting and grinding all over again in the slowboat just made me nope out of the game and uninstall it.

Pretty much this. Back when i played it i was half expecting a popup offering me premium currency.
Everything is drawn out to a psychotic degree.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1134