Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457154 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12585 on: December 21, 2015, 12:20:39 pm »

The RPGs in Insurgency are really frustrating.

My favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl2YzMbyLVI

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: December 21, 2015, 02:01:50 pm »

Steam's bag o' sales for the midweek includes Atom Zombie Smasher at 50% off. It didn't seem to show up lately better than that (it's been down to -75% once at least) but it's still a fun, unique game to grab.

Instead of your usual fare, your job is to evacuate civilians from a segment of the city with a zombie invasion incoming by commanding DA CHOPPAH for them to GIT TO, from a top-down perspective, as well as additional utilities like infantry squads, snipers, roadblocks, heavy artillery or mines to assist in that.

You WILL have to sacrifice some civvies to the ravenous green dot hordes and sooner or later you'll start thinking like the kind of villain in a disaster/zombie movie who tells the hero's cute sickly daughter to sod off and get an open brain surgery because they can't save everyone.

It's also set to a great surf-rock soundtrack and has a weird side-story told in storyboards.

On the other hand, some people had technical issues with it, so keep that in mind.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: December 21, 2015, 02:42:49 pm »

It's also only 27MB, I like.
The art style... Yeah this is by Blendo Games, they made that charming REAL-3D space tactics roguelike Flotilla!  Which is also on sale, along with Thirty Flights of Loving.  And whatever Air Forte is.

Thirty Flights of Loving seems strange but I'm getting it, it's cheap and I saw a neat LP of an alpha demo version last year.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12588 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:57 pm »

Second recommendation for Atom Zombie Smasher. Surprisingly good game - had a blast. In fact, I came here now specifically to recommend it.

Didn't have as much fun with Flotilla, not sure why.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: December 21, 2015, 03:40:23 pm »

The problem with atom zombie smasher is that the units are incredibly unbalanced, some are drastically better than others.

So if you leave it on the default settings (random units) sometimes you end up with a terrible line up and just lose and there's not much you can do about it. If you enable the option that lets you always pick, then you can always pick the power units and the game is incredibly easy.

If you don't mind losing sometimes just because of RNG it's not an issue, but if you hate RNG losses then it's a frustrating choice to have to make - super easy or random.

Don't expect anything in the way of plot either, it's just random silliness from what I remember but otherwise it's pretty fun.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:45:08 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12590 on: December 21, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »

Yeah, agreed. I'd still play vanilla a few times, and then start adding the different options, like the one where you pick which squads to take on the next mission. That's really useful, as you can level specific units a lot, and they become really powerful.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »

After a few playthroughs it's really fun to mod it(really easy to do) so you just have a full squad of artillery.

Just blow the crap out of everything.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: December 21, 2015, 05:47:08 pm »

Yeah, agreed. I'd still play vanilla a few times, and then start adding the different options, like the one where you pick which squads to take on the next mission. That's really useful, as you can level specific units a lot, and they become really powerful.
My favorite spiced-vanilla run is just taking the more-than-one-type-of-unit mutator. It's not very overpowered, but makes for some fun missions depending on the combo you wind up with, like having to plan out the lanes with a snipers/roadblocks roster.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: December 21, 2015, 08:20:34 pm »

So I got drunk and pre-ordered the remastered Dragon Dogma on GMG with a 23% coupon (23 USD). While I'm not really a massive aRPG fan I did enjoy the hell out of Dark Souls and places like /v/ were hyping the crap out of it. Did I screw up? I haven't really found an aRPG with as satisfying combat as DS (I'm a claymore kiddy), I found the combat in the Witcher 3 particularly horrible.

Also yes I know pre-order culture and all that but I thought the entry price was pretty decent. Hopefully it isn't a typical Japanese PC release but it seems to be 1080p 60fps at least.
Dragon's Dogma is heavier than 'Souls is in combat feel (you can't just roll all over the place, and the weapons feel weighty), but has some crazy moves like launching allies into the air with greatswords so it's not exactly on the realistic side of the spectrum.

It opens up like it's going to be a linear experience (and I don't know why they did this), but once you hit the main city about an hour or so in it opens right up and offers you a variety of jobs and main quests to take out at your leisure, or you can just go exploring.

The game is a bit janky and unpolished, but it tries to do a lot of ambitious things and usually hits the mark. The magic system in particular is of note, being one of the only games where mages feel like actual powerful wielders of the elements that can decimate a battlefield instead of machineguns that piddle out generic firebolt spells.

If the port ends up being good and you like slower paced aRPGs, I don't see any problem with it.
Welp. Think I'm sold.

I like Dragon's Dogma, but I gotta caution you guys about a few things. I'll try not to spoil plot stuff and keep it to mechanics. First of all is the class system; there are nine classes that essentially boil down to basic melee/ranged/magic, advanced melee/ranged/magic, and melee/ranged / melee/magic / ranged/magic (of these classes I prefer advanced ranged, melee/range, and magic/range). The thing is, each class increases your stats differently per level-up, so you really have to plan ahead for how your want your Arisen to be built. If you want to be mostly melee for example, expect to be sticking to Warrior and Fighter until about level 100, past which stat gains are low. (Also on that note, I believe Mystic Knight has the most balanced stat gains IIRC.) Considering each class has unique augments that are character and not class based, this means that you can either try to max each class early for all the augments (like ones that greatly increase magic defense or climbing speed or lowers prices in shop or make you far more deadly if you're running solo), or go for stats and just stick with whatever class ups the stats you want until level 100.

Additionally, levels are persistent through playthroughs, and if you want to do the Dark Arisen content, you'll need to be about level 90 or so before you attempt it, which can take 3 or 4 playthroughs. This is kind of a good thing, as if you finish the game at level 50, you'll start the next run at level 50 and can just breeze through the early quests, but if you decide you don't like your build you have to erase your save file and start all over - and you only get one save file. (Actually considering it'll be on PC I'm sure there will be a tool that will just let you modify your stats eventually, but disregarding that.)

As far as audio goes, prepare for this spam: WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS ARISEN AUGHT WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS ARISEN THEIR KIND HATE ICE AND FIRE BOTH AUGHT ALL ROADS LEAD TO GRAN SOREN WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS ARISEN. Your pawns are annoying, to put it lightly. You may just want to listen to your iPod or something instead of the game.

If graphics matter to you, then I'd say wait a month or two for the inevitable HQ texture mods. This is an old game and it looks it, although maybe (I doubt it) Capcom updated it for the PC release.

If you like a lot of different towns to explore, this game only has two. The starting town Cassardis and the main city, Gran Soren. There's a few other locations that have a few NPCs in them, but if you want a straight up city to explore, this game is a bit lacking. The world map is a bit sparse overall in my opinion.

Finally, this is a little bit of a plot thing, but there is a very poorly done romance system in the game. At one point the game will choose an NPC to be your true love, and if you haven't done a series of sidequests that eventually leads to you getting a ring (and then you give that ring to your favorite NPC, and no, it can't be the pawn you create near the beginning of the game) it will choose whoever you have talked to the most. That will likely be either the innkeeper in Gran Soren (since he allows you to learn new skills and class change) or the blacksmith in Gran Soren. So, just warning you about that ahead of time. Oh, and like character levels, the romance level is persistent across runs. I think you can lower people's affection for you by killing them or beating the tar out of them, though.

That's all the downsides I can think of at the moment. Now, the positives. The combat is very fun no matter what class you're running, and they all have their own gimmicks so none of them (except I guess Strider and Ranger, since the only difference there is bow size) feel too similar. Fighter is sword and shield and the defense class, Warrior is the two-handed attack class, Mages have buffs, debuffs, basic attack magic, and healing, Sorcerers are pure attack magic, Striders and Rangers can snipe from afar. Mystic Knights fight with maces and tower shields, and can buff their weapons and cast a few unique spells (there's one that creates an orb that you attack to shoot magic bullets at enemies, it's pretty cool). Magic Archers fire short-range homing arrows of pure magic and can fire elemental arrows with various effects. Assassins are the least 'interesting' of the three combo classes as they are just Fighter+bow-shield but are still fun to play as they have some VERY damaging attacks. Also Ranger is absolutely the most OP class in the game if you have guts, since they have a spread-shot ability that fires nine (I think, might be more) arrows. At point-blank range, this basically means 9x damage each shot. You can wreck pretty much any enemy in seconds.

The plot is interesting enough by the end of the game to warrant another run, and there are four endings (although only one of them lets you continue on to New Game+; IIRC the other 3 count as game overs). The only real hiccup in the story is the poorly done romance system, as mentioned before; if you're not aware of it, you can end up with a situation near the end that's supposed to be dramatic and instead have the reaction of 'I don't actually give a damn about this character'. To be honest though, it's a Capcom action game. You don't play these for plot, you play them for the gameplay, and that is Dragon's Dogma's greatest strength I think.

Finally, if you're like me and you love character creation and customization... DD has got you covered. 12 voices per gender (mostly pitch-shifted variations, but still), a myriad of hair/eye/skin colors, various tattoos and scars, the ability to edit your height and weight (which does have an in-game effect; bigger, heavier characters can carry more, are harder to knock down, move slower, etc.), about 60 or so different hair styles... and that's just creating your character. Once you're out in the world there are quite a few pieces of gear to find and upgrade until you get a style of armor and clothing that you like. And if you decide you don't like the way your character looks, there's a late-game shop that lets you buy the ability to edit your appearance. And not only do you get to make your character, you get to make your main pawn, which you can put online for other people to use. (My main pawn is basically my pack-horse for upgrade materials and such. :P)

Yeah, I'd recommend it for thirty bucks.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: December 21, 2015, 08:30:31 pm »

Damn. Interest meter is rising.

So you're basically saying you can end up with the innkeeper as your main squeeze? Can I beat the crap out of him so I don't have to worry about it? Cause I gotta say, without forewarning that would have annoyed me to no end.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: December 21, 2015, 08:31:58 pm »

Thanks for the in-depth review, it sounds pretty fun despite the negative bits. I have to know though: is the game on Steam a re-release of whatever DD you played, or is it a sequel?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: December 21, 2015, 08:55:26 pm »

@nenjin: Yes, you can. And I think so, though you'll have to watch out for getting arrested if you start wailing on him; I think another, non-criminal way of annoying people is to just pick them up, hold them until they start struggling, then put them down over and over. And as I mentioned, there's a series of sidequests you can do that end up with you getting a ring called Arisen's Bond; if you give it to an NPC right before going to the start location of a certain end-game quest (I don't remember the name of the quest off-hand, but it's located in the far north-west of the map and the game makes it pretty obvious it's a point of no return) it guarantees the NPC you give it to will be your partner.

A word of warning though. Some NPCs will disappear from the game at the end of their questlines (or if you never start them) and since side quests are only available until certain points, you can miss the NPC. However, doing an NPC's questline will raise their affection a lot. So if you want, say, Quina, then just do only her sidequests on your first run and ignore Madeleine and Elinore; it should raise their affection enough that you don't need the Arisen's Bond.

However, you can tell how someone feels towards you when you talk to them; if they really like you, you'll hear a sort of chime sound, they'll have a glow around their head, and they'll blush. So if someone you don't like starts showing these signs... start punching them I guess. XD

@Sirus: I'm pretty sure it's a re-release of the base game+Dark Arisen expansion pack. And like I said, it is pretty fun. If nothing else, you can literally be Guts from Berserk (pre-wolf armor) since he's a pre-made character design you can select, and you can buy his equipment from a shop that opens up once you clear out a certain location. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: December 21, 2015, 09:13:38 pm »

Ah, perfect. Hopefully there will be at least some modding once it's released, but all in all it sounds like something to pick up once the holidays are over.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: December 21, 2015, 09:15:44 pm »

Yeah, I'm hoping for some modding too. As I already have it on PS3, I'll probably wait until either a sale comes along and/or I see some mods that I really want to play it with.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: December 21, 2015, 09:56:26 pm »

Dragon's Dogma was one of the games I had to skip because my PS3 died. Same reason I had to wait for Dark Souls on PC before actually beating it. I actually ended up watching an LP of someone playing through Dragon's Dogma, and... it's not what I thought it would be. Not in a bad way of course, I was expecting a more generic hack n' slash ordeal.

I love playing fighter/melee type people in these games, and magic has always seemed kinda... cheap or dumb. Then again I prefer low fantasy where magic is something special and not something you can just do on a whim.

Now for actual sales... the steam winter sale is starting tomorrow? At least that's what I heard. I'm hoping for Helldivers to go on sale since I'm running out of co-op games to play with my friends that aren't strategy games (I am terrible at strategy games). Pulsar: Lost Colony also looks good but it's still early in development.

EDIT: And speaking of actual sales that are occuring right now, Flotilla is on sale, and it looked rather interesting last I checked. It's sort of a turn-based game with simultaneous turns akin to Frozen Synapse, if memory serves, only you're using spaceships in a 3d space.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:36:38 pm by OzyTheSage »
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1134