Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1458092 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #12060 on: August 20, 2015, 03:32:08 pm »

My problem with PlaneScape is the opposite. I can't play it anymore because it's too awesome. I didn't finish it in my first go, and now I am overloaded by its awesomeness, so every time I play again I just can't deal with all the dialogue because I faintly remember it from before, but I can't skip it because then I miss important clues. I can't tell what point in the story I am right now and what parts that I remember are just deja vu, because everything in it is too damn memorable.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: August 20, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »

o no you didn't  :o

hard to play these days? the only hard thing about playing Torment these days is when you see what characters and plots in RPGs could be like and then you compare that to what characters and plots in modern RPGs are like and you are filled with uttermost despair

poking at dozens of NPCs... yeah sadly there is no quest compass in Torment so you actually have to follow directions, explore, and ask around

5+ quests constantly... that there is lots to see and do on your journey through the Planes sounds like a pro to me

the game has some serious problems but that text treadmill is the best thing about it
Yeah. I'd say the game's only major problem is combat... and the fact it was most certainly not built for that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12062 on: August 20, 2015, 07:57:53 pm »

o no you didn't  :o

hard to play these days? the only hard thing about playing Torment these days is when you see what characters and plots in RPGs could be like and then you compare that to what characters and plots in modern RPGs are like and you are filled with uttermost despair

poking at dozens of NPCs... yeah sadly there is no quest compass in Torment so you actually have to follow directions, explore, and ask around

5+ quests constantly... that there is lots to see and do on your journey through the Planes sounds like a pro to me

the game has some serious problems but that text treadmill is the best thing about it

When I was a kid and had tons of time to kill without much money, sure.

Now, though? Sorry, I can't memorize the location of every single quest NPC in the game after 1 conversation. Nor do I really want to poke every. single. one. every time I advance a quest.

Yeah, I could look it up on a FAQ to save the hassle but at that point why even bother? Practicality > nostalgia factor.

So yes, I did.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12063 on: August 20, 2015, 08:07:52 pm »

You don't need to remember all the npcs, this is what notepad is for. Write crap down and make your own quest tracker.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12064 on: August 20, 2015, 08:30:51 pm »

You don't need to remember all the npcs, this is what notepad is for. Write crap down and make your own quest tracker.

I don't have much to say about Torment. My housemate had it and I played a bit - I mostly remember it for having an amazing immersive story and crashing so often that I eventually gave up on being able to complete it.

However, I really don't think it's very fair to expect people to regularly alt-tab out of a game or pull out a piece of paper and make notes in order to play it. I did the whole graph-paper dungeon map thing with the Bard's Tale, and so I can confidently say that it's a complete immersion killer that makes it difficult to either enjoy gameplay or focus on a story. Especially for a game like Torment where the story's very deep, that's not a way to have fun with it.
Now, I don't remember having the problem with checking every NPC when I played, but my housemate also had the official guide-book with a massively detailed walkthrough, so that might explain why we never felt the need to make notes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12065 on: August 20, 2015, 09:08:20 pm »

I never needed to write stuff down during torment. I think it's pretty clear at all times what you have to do. You *might* have a case with npc hunting in crowded plazas, but IIRC the important ones were distinctive...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12066 on: August 20, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »

I had trouble the first time I played Torment. Didn't get very far in and just sort of petered out. The second time, I found it compelling and it really sucked me in. Don't know what the difference was, but it was like night and day.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12067 on: August 21, 2015, 04:44:12 am »

I had trouble the first time I played Torment. Didn't get very far in and just sort of petered out. The second time, I found it compelling and it really sucked me in. Don't know what the difference was, but it was like night and day.

Old games can do that. I enjoyed Fallout immensely... on my second or third try of it. Good or great as they may be, golden oldies do often clash with modern sensibilities. You need a while to adjust or know what to expect.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: August 21, 2015, 05:39:55 am »

I had the same issue with Morrowind when I first got it. I was overwhelmed by the scope of the game and didn't play it again for about a month. I think I had to get into a frame of mind that was "if I mess something up I don't care. I can just reload or restart".
The first 2 plays of Morrowind were more testing the waters, seeing the limitations and how the game was structured. The third time was a more honest playthrough once I had myself centred in the world.

The above makes it sound a lot more planned then it was. I was really just mucking about exploring peoples houses, talking to clans, stealing stuff and so on. Getting past the "Am I doing things right?" can be a bit tricky sometimes. I find it's better to mess about and worry later on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:51:06 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12069 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:46 am »

Wealth beyond measure, outlander

I must have sunk weeks into that game and I've never finished the main quest.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: August 21, 2015, 05:51:31 am »

indiegala has a bundle with Quest for Infamy. It's a nice Quest for Glory homage and for 2$ it's a crime not ot get it if you are a fan.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:53:30 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:35 am »

Infamy does not have many great ratings. I'd rather play QfG as there are more than one of them.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12072 on: August 21, 2015, 03:15:22 pm »

You can get Spintires off Green Man Gaming for $6 if you use a coupon. As low as it's ever gotten, if I'm not mistaken!

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: August 21, 2015, 05:29:40 pm »

You can get Spintires off Green Man Gaming for $6 if you use a coupon. As low as it's ever gotten, if I'm not mistaken!

I haven't been paying attention.  Has it ever been updated with the promised modding API stuff?

When I was playing, it was always 'next month, next patch, we promise.'

The beta had some decent-looking modded vehicles, even if most of them drove exactly the same as the stock game trucks.

After that, nothing.

(Also, I miss the old volcano map.  Don't really like the new one.  I did manage to get the big 8-wheeler up to and into the crater lake.)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: August 21, 2015, 06:39:22 pm »

Might and Magic galore: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
Most of it under uplay. Bleh. Some DRM free.
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 1134