Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457803 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread [STEAM SUMMER SALE - LAG INCLUDED WITH EVERY PURCHASE]
« Reply #11850 on: June 22, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »

Is War of the Human Tanks worth the $4 it's on sale for? It's pushing my Advance Wars nostalgia buttons, and the premise of
story driven strategy game with a gameplay reminiscent of Battleship and Chess, featuring a story of war, loyalty, sacrifice and human shaped tanks
combined with dark humor and cheerful suicide-bombers instead of War Is Bad anvils sounds fun.
I think it has a demo, so you might be able to give it a go.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: June 22, 2015, 09:22:20 pm »

+1 to the fail-to-finish woes that Early Access breeds. Every one I've bought has been a failure, so at this point I'm waiting on proof that a product can finish. The fact that all the ones I semi-watch for the past couple years haven't made release despite being "finished enough to sell" really gives a bad name to the entire process for me.

Someone posted a link a while back to a website that data mined a ton of steam profiles to try and get an idea of sales numbers and such.

One thing that stood out to me is that early access titles have a huge spike when they are first put on steam (like all titles)..... and almost no spike when they are actually released.

I already suspected something like that was true, it goes a long way to explaining why EA games are rarely finished, or if they do finish it's still in a mostly broken beta state with a finished label attached. If you've already made 90% of the money for 50% (or less..) of the work, there's not much incentive to do the other 50%.

I suspect more developers are going to realize that and do the math, and the EA situation will get even worse. Maybe customers will stop buying them after a while, or maybe not.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: June 22, 2015, 10:01:47 pm »

Yeah, someone linked an article a while ago about how, regardless of whether a game has EA or not, there's effectively only one Steam launch.

On the one hand, this means that there's a certain capacity for shovelware. On the other, devs that are interested in making a popular/good game, or in achieving maximum profit as opposed to a quick cash grab, they're probably going to be more reluctant to do EA, because you're effectively launching with an underpriced half-complete game, which presumably reduces the early spike of sales most games have at their release, in addition to potentially reducing later sales if something is buggy or takes a long time to be finished/fixed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:34 pm »

More it's just this: you spend the hype early in EA and you don't get as much back on it. "Yeah it's good but there's no content" doesn't leave the
same word of mouth impression as "OMFG."

We've been trained as gamers for so long to hype on a release, when the EA release is simply something we won't play....most effectively just wait on a sale, rather than go through the "Ok, how did it do in EA? Does it have all the content?" That's not hype buying, that's informed buying, which takes work on the user's end.

The maxim for players on EA has been "Don't buy it if you don't like an unfinished game", whereas the maxim for developers seem to be evolving into "don't release it unless you can stand by it as fun right now, no equivocation."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11854 on: June 23, 2015, 12:45:26 am »

I keep confusing the "EA" acronym as it relates to early access with EA, the publisher.

I only just this moment realized you guys weren't talking about the publisher. So much confusion has finally been cleared up...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11855 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:37 am »

Let's change it to e.a.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: June 23, 2015, 09:39:16 am »

Evil EA and Risky EA.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »

the maxim for developers seem to be evolving into "don't release it unless you can stand by it as fun right now, no equivocation."
30fps lock, absolute shite optimisiation, and no review copies sent out, probably to hide the fact.
That doesn't sound like fun to me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: June 23, 2015, 04:31:59 pm »

the maxim for developers seem to be evolving into "don't release it unless you can stand by it as fun right now, no equivocation."
30fps lock, absolute shite optimisiation, and no review copies sent out, probably to hide the fact.
I can't tell if you're are being serious or not.

A random question, what is with gamers being obsessed with FPS? As someone who had stop-motion as a hobby for a while, I'm used to 15 FPS being the norm, with 24 FPS being something that was good if you could pull it off without it looking too weird and had the time for it. In fact there were some people who were pretty elitist about using 24 FPS. I suppose video games need to be smoother than films or animation, but how much of a difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS is there and how much does it actually make a difference in games? Does it matter more for certain genres or what?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: June 23, 2015, 04:40:00 pm »

A random question, what is with gamers being obsessed with FPS? As someone who had stop-motion as a hobby for a while, I'm used to 15 FPS being the norm, with 24 FPS being something that was good if you could pull it off without it looking too weird and had the time for it. In fact there were some people who were pretty elitist about using 24 FPS. I suppose video games need to be smoother than films or animation, but how much of a difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS is there and how much does it actually make a difference in games? Does it matter more for certain genres or what?
There is some difference, yes, and high fps can make quite the effect. Now that youtube allows for 60fps videos, I guess you could search for one and see it at both 30 and 60 to try and tell them apart. The main thing for me though, is that if it's at 60 and drops, you still get some pretty good performance, while if it's 30, it can be really noticeable and bad. First Person Shooters in general, as well as, I think, RTS's, are two genres that benefit a lot from high fps.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: June 23, 2015, 04:42:02 pm »

It matters a lot for games in a first person perspective and for games that require precision or reaction time... so a lot of games...

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: June 23, 2015, 04:51:52 pm »

In games, framerate is usually tied to multiple aspects of gameplay as well as appearance. More than just how it looks, responsiveness to inputs usually suffers at low framerates like 30 fps, and when the visual experience and the inputs are so heavily tied together (unlike in film or other media that are fine at low framerate), it's important for movement/input to be as seamless as possible with the environment. On visuals alone the difference is enough for most people, but it's because of input and the nature of programming that 30 fps is often unacceptable. The algorithms and greater systems involved in generating and displaying game images are incredibly complex, and when these are also working in tandem with things like physics engines, framerate plays a huge role in whether it's able to come together smoothly and consistently.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: June 23, 2015, 04:56:56 pm »

For relaxed games the difference between 30 and 60 FPS is pretty slim (though most people can at least detect it, and for some it's very noticeable; every person is different after all). However it becomes especially noticeable in games that are more adrenaline inducing (such as first person shooters) because your body essentially runs everything in overdrive, making the difference much more noticeable. In truth once you get over about 60 FPS the changes start to become much and much less noticeable, even for more action-packed games, and by the time you reach 120 the vast majority of people are unable to notice any significant differences (though things like virtual reality headsets often need to push even higher due to the direct linking between our what we see and what our bodies are doing).

Additionally, as people have noted, many games run input FPS along with their graphical FPS. It's not as common nowdays since you usually are running your graphics threads on a totally different part of your hardware from the ones that are handling user input, but in those older periods when they were commonly linked lower FPS settings would lead to unresponsive or "jerky" controls.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: June 23, 2015, 05:04:13 pm »

Thanks so much, that was really helpful.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: June 23, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »

Not sure why you went to performance from that statement. I guess it depends on how important performance is to you. An average of 50 FPS when I expect 60 won't ruin my experience. An average of 24 FPS when I expect 30 won't either.

What it has seemed to come down to is having an already complete game in place when you hit EA. You might almost say feature complete (as that article did.) It's hard to call any EA game feature complete because all of them are still implementing this or that feature....but you get the gist. Sunless Sea was feature complete when it first launched in EA. Darkest Dungeons was. Those are games that you can play the whole game experience, minus some supporting content like more of this and that, or QoL features, better lighting, an official ending, yadda yadda. Those are the ones that can get recommended to people and can keep an EA game selling as it adds more content and word of mouth continues to spread.

Lots of games though get their polished tech demo or prototype on EA and try to go from there, and those are the ones that leave people feeling cold about EA. You can't really recommend those. "Give them money up front if you can't wait to see what it looks like or you want to give them support" is about the best you can say of them. "Have fun for hours on end" is not.

Anyways, I think most devs are pretty honest. They realize trying to release only a micro slice of a game that's stable and trying to stand by that isn't going to win them any fans. It really comes down to whether a game is worth making money yet. Devs that jump the shark on getting paid, it shows pretty obviously in their work. And the ones that sweated and labored and went broke to the last second before hitting EA...well, it shows in their work too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:02:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1134