Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459815 times)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1185 on: October 31, 2011, 02:10:32 am »

The teammate AI can be a little frustrating sometimes

*crotches down next to car*
Ally: MY SPOT! *pushes you into gunfire*
I believe the word you're looking for is crouch.
My mind made that a strange picture indeed.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 31, 2011, 05:32:50 am »

So I got Ghostbusters for $2.50.

I had no real expectations going in. I'd heard the game was "good" from most friends but no one ever really went on about gameplay, just how closely it resembled a movie.

Turns out, it's a pretty decent game too. Totally linear, sadly, and borrowing a few now over-used tropes...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But it's challenging at times, scanning with the PKE-Meter is kind of detectivey, atmospheric and totally appropriate for Halloween, the weapon powers and ghost wrastlin' are pretty fun and shit gets really chaotic at times with beams flying everywhere and ghosts circling like crazy. It's a visual orgy and it's got some meat to it too. After 6 solid hours I'm only through level 3/8, so each one can take a while to complete if you search thoroughly for stuff.

At some points levels may actually go on too long, but the game rarely repeats the same thing twice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You're always entering a new environment, hunting some ghost down before you actually fight it, ending up fighting a mini-boss you didn't expect to....it's a pretty smart game in that respect.

Really, for $2.50, this is great entertainment. And at times it's written just as snappily as a movie would be, which is kind of refreshing coming from a video game. I actually enjoy the cut scenes and the banter and dialog, which is pretty rare. All the almost-all celebrity voice acting goes a long way too because no one is phoning it in. If you're a fan of the Ghostbuster's movies, you really should spend the money on this. It's well worth its entertainment value in that alone.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:42:45 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 31, 2011, 05:42:51 am »

L4D2 is very cool... Must have, even, for the FPS inclined.

I never got these because i pretty much am not into multiplayer and the scores of jerks who populate these places. Is the single player game fun?
Well, I've met one jerk (teamkiller) so far, and he was quickly kicked from the game. Most people are reasonable and semi-competent, and only one was of the competent-but-unforgiving-"WTF are you assholes doing"-type. Most of 'em tolerated incompetent behaviour, and a party-wipe because of some fuck-up is laughed about. So until now my experiences with the community is pretty good.

I do think it's mostly a MP-game, meant to played as multiplayer.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 31, 2011, 05:52:24 am »

I actually had a really good time with L4D MP. Having a good team, playing against a good team, it can really take tactics to a level most FPS DM games can't match.

But both conditions are rarely met. And when you're losing, the stress level is unlike any other game I've ever played. It's not a game you can play in MP with friends who aren't that good at gaming :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 31, 2011, 07:01:36 am »

The teammate AI can be a little frustrating sometimes

*crotches down next to car*
Ally: MY SPOT! *pushes you into gunfire*
I believe the word you're looking for is crouch.

Oops  :P

Sry, I typed that after writing a 5 page expository paper in 5 paper.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 31, 2011, 07:38:24 am »

Oops  :P

Sry, I typed that after writing a 5 page expository paper in 5 paper.
I hope you proofread that paper... ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 31, 2011, 07:42:05 am »

I actually had a really good time with L4D MP. Having a good team, playing against a good team, it can really take tactics to a level most FPS DM games can't match.

But both conditions are rarely met. And when you're losing, the stress level is unlike any other game I've ever played. It's not a game you can play in MP with friends who aren't that good at gaming :P

That would be true in versus mode.  In co-op, the attitude is far more casual and relaxed, for those who aren't interested in a "what the hell are you doing with the tank noob?!?!" type of experience.

I'd highly recommend L4D, the drop-in drop-out multiplayer is very well done, and encourages co-op I haven't really seen outside of Arma 2 lately.

KG

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1192 on: October 31, 2011, 10:38:02 am »

Can't believe noone's tried to convince other people to buy Atom Zombie Smasher for the ridiculous price it's at. It's an absolutely awesome little game!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1193 on: October 31, 2011, 10:40:21 am »

OK I Might be convinced on L4D...should I get 1 or 2?
I got nothing

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 31, 2011, 10:40:23 am »

Atom Zombie Smasher is a fantastic game with 2-4 hours of a ridiculous amount of fun. Unfortunately, the modding is so limited that there really is no point in a third playthrough. Great game though and worth this low price point. I paid $9.99 and never regretted it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #1195 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:37 am »

I got mine with the Humble Indie Bundle. It is a fun little game to take for a spin, though.

L4D2 is surprisingly good in multiplayer, because it encourages more teamwork than any other game out there. You literally can't find a boss on your own, and the way injuries and death work make things even more exciting and interesting. It's simply a blast running out to save a teammate being pummeled in the middle of a hoard of zombies, shooting the monster off of him/her, and then fighting off the other zombies with a katana while another teammate pulls the injured one up... It's a blast, so it doesn't really compare to most competitive multiplayer games. It's a breed all on its own.*

Also, has anyone paid attention to how much the female character is taken care of compared to other characters? I've been tempted to try playing as the woman just to see if I get healed more.

*I do think that the kind of teamwork it encourages would work great in any given FPS, though. Playing as four measly survivors against a horde of zombies turns you into a crack operative in no time.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:36 pm »

L4D has the worst gaming community I've ever seen. If you show any sign of weakness in-game, you get kicked faster than a cat sneezes.

Playing with at least one friend is the way to go.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 31, 2011, 12:27:56 pm »

L4D has the worst gaming community I've ever seen. If you show any sign of weakness in-game, you get kicked faster than a cat sneezes.

Playing with at least one friend is the way to go.

L4D1?  Or you mean 2?  On Steam or xbox?  Advanced? Expert? Normal?  Easy?  Co-op or versus?

I pop open L4D2 on Steam at least once or twice every week.  I normally hang around the advanced range, sometimes expert and sometimes normal if its the only 1 up in mutation. 

Co-op only player, heck, I don't do versus cause I suck at it and honestly, don't have the inclination to get better there.  At least in co-op, its you and 3 others working together, more often then not wordlessly.  Just something about that I like. 

I don't believe I've had your problem...

You know, that jumpy arsehole Zoey, usually the one rushing in first and kicking ass.
And there is Francis, he is an arse too.  I like to think: "What the hell are you doing Francis" in Bill's voice when he messes up or moves too slow to my liking.
Louis? He is just the black guy.
Bill? Move it old man, you getting blind on me?  (Though, when I play him, I gotta be the badass one doing cover fire and stuff, healing everyone else before me... saving everyone's arse and/or getting pounced by everything.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 31, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

So, I gave in to my inner demons and bought STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Is it so horribly broken that I really need a fix mod to play? And if so, where do I find a good one?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1199 on: October 31, 2011, 02:00:03 pm »

still want to know, should i Get L4D1 of L4D2 or both?
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 1134