Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456469 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11265 on: June 02, 2015, 10:56:57 am »

Speaking of, I'm tempted by Men of War series. I tried a demo of vanilla game long time ago and at that time rather clunky control scheme put me off, but I've heard good stuff about it. Still, which one to get? MoW:AS 2 is still to new for me and to costly, so I'm looking at either Assault Squad 1 OR vanilla game, maybe those two addon too... heard Red tide is basically just base game with difficulty upped high. Any suggestions?

The Assault Squad series are basically MP games. You can skirmish against the AI, which is fine, but it's mostly competitive MP. There's some MP coop that I personally love. MoWAS 1 used gamespy, I think, and while there are workarounds, I would wager that barely anyone plays. It's not hard to find some MP matches for MoWAS 2 though, especially if you're in Europe.

It's a hard game. It takes a while to get into it. But it's pretty legit. I'd say YARRRRRR one of them to see if it's something you're into, and if you feel you're gonna do MP, then buy MoWAS 2. It's $7.50, so fairly affordable. I think this is as cheap as it's been so far.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the SP campaigns of the earlier games. Honestly, I'd probably just get MoWAS2 and bang your head against the wall until you manage to survive. That's what I did. It's also easier in coop!

In my experience Assault Squad's playerbase mostly does coop MP, with a smaller but very dedicated competitive MP scene. Either way, I'd argue that it's a game best played with other people.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: June 02, 2015, 10:58:48 am »

Speaking of, I'm tempted by Men of War series. I tried a demo of vanilla game long time ago and at that time rather clunky control scheme put me off, but I've heard good stuff about it. Still, which one to get? MoW:AS 2 is still to new for me and to costly, so I'm looking at either Assault Squad 1 OR vanilla game, maybe those two addon too... heard Red tide is basically just base game with difficulty upped high. Any suggestions?

The Assault Squad series are basically MP games. You can skirmish against the AI, which is fine, but it's mostly competitive MP. There's some MP coop that I personally love. MoWAS 1 used gamespy, I think, and while there are workarounds, I would wager that barely anyone plays. It's not hard to find some MP matches for MoWAS 2 though, especially if you're in Europe.

It's a hard game. It takes a while to get into it. But it's pretty legit. I'd say YARRRRRR one of them to see if it's something you're into, and if you feel you're gonna do MP, then buy MoWAS 2. It's $7.50, so fairly affordable. I think this is as cheap as it's been so far.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the SP campaigns of the earlier games. Honestly, I'd probably just get MoWAS2 and bang your head against the wall until you manage to survive. That's what I did. It's also easier in coop!

I recently bought "Men of War: Armoured Assault 2". What spurred me to get it was series of Youtube videos by one "The Sherminator" who has a lot of co-op plays of missions.

This mission video is 1 and a half hours long but it outlines the gameplay pretty well. Playing as the germans, the 2 players assault a small town by taking out various strategic locations and using weapons they come across. Do note that this mission is a fanmade one.

Here's another video, 52 minutes long, that shows the general theme of the singleplayer. Defence of Stalingrad by three players against A.I.
The A.I doesn't have anything more complex to it than "move to a location and engage enemies" or "hold position" so most of the single player maps are hold off or take and hold style.

The game itself is impressive because of the detail. A tanks crew can be killed through penetrating shots, replaced with normal infantry and made operational again. You can take the pintle mounted machine gun off and equip a soldier with it. Scavenge ammunition or fuel from disabled vehicles to supply your troops or repair enemy vehicles and utilise them yourself.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: June 02, 2015, 11:33:40 am »

I think Men of War was the best in the series simply because it had real singleplayer missions that were hilariously terrible. Arguably the most stupid, most dumb, most funny voice acting in any game ever made outside of House of the Dead 2.

Also the missions were crazy. It was an RTS but one moment you were a lone sniper fighting an entire army stealthily, next moment you were the gunner of a jeep running away from a prison camp, next moment you were smashing down a sleepy French village with your entire Tiger battalion, next moment you were manually controlling a flak 88 to defend a castle. I loved it so much I actually bought a boxed copy and I still have it. Literally one of 5 games I actually bought boxed copies for.

None of the follow up games had the charm of that I feel. I also don't really like the MP centric focus of the newer games simply because there's way too much micro involved.

Edit: Also made this a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BqVvRUVuEE

Love Men of War so much.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: June 02, 2015, 12:45:55 pm »

So they have borderlands 2 there for rather cheap, and I've had a friend talking all about it recently. Is it worth it outside of multiplayer though?

It's similar to playing a game like Diablo solo. If you like that kind of stuff (sifting through loot, questing, levelling), you'll probably enjoy Borderlands 2 too. I didn't like it that much though, too monotonous for my taste, but so is Diablo :P

I'd argue it is even more monotonous than Diablo because of the first-person perspective and the fact that you have only one ability and that has a fairly long cooldown. In Diablo you had lots of abilities (although most people would, of course, build to maximize just one for efficiency) and the isometric perspective makes things easier to take in all at once.

On the other hand, Borderlands has a high order of feedback and sensory information to process. So in that respect (e.g. there's always "something going on"), it is less monotonous.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: June 02, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »

not a sale, but the new steam refund policy may be relevant to some of your interests
http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

praise gaben

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: June 02, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »

not a sale, but the new steam refund policy may be relevant to some of your interests

praise gaben

Likely just being updated so paid mods can be 'better' implemented in the future.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: June 02, 2015, 01:50:07 pm »

praise gaben
Finally...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: June 02, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »

praise gaben

Likely just being updated so paid mods can be 'better' implemented in the future.

Either that or they were pressured enough by certain governments to do this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: June 02, 2015, 01:54:11 pm »

All praise Valve and International commercial pressure...

Someone verify the temp in hell because I can feel it freezing over.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11274 on: June 02, 2015, 02:09:30 pm »

All praise Valve and International commercial pressure...

Someone verify the temp in hell because I can feel it freezing over.
Better get your cars under some cover, I hear pigshit can do some damage when it falls from a height.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: June 02, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »

praise gaben

The cynic in me says that they're implementing this in order to stop caring in any way, shape, or form about quality control on Steam. Although we all kinda saw this coming with the shovelware Russian games and visual novel flood.

The optimist in me is PUMPED. My only wish is that it had been in place for some some of my previous purchases.

I bet the developer of Zombie Zoeds is having a fit right now  :P
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #11276 on: June 02, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »

In my experience Assault Squad's playerbase mostly does coop MP, with a smaller but very dedicated competitive MP scene. Either way, I'd argue that it's a game best played with other people.

Huh, for MoWAS2 as well? I have the hardest time finding people doing skirmish matches. Most people seem to be doing competitive whenever I'm on (evenings EST).

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:16 pm »

the title has been played for less than two hours
And how are they going to track this? The hours played for games isn't tracked in offline mode. It says I've played Multiwinia for 1 minute when it took me 45 to get through the tutorial level. That minute was when I booted up the game to be sure it'd run.
9_9
If this "refund update" borks offline mode I guess I'll just never use steam again. For anything.

Also
Steam down in Western Europe; Also talks of new refund policy.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:39:23 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11278 on: June 02, 2015, 02:49:20 pm »

We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.
Well then. Don't know many people that have ever bought a steam game that wouldn't have benefited from this at some point.

Also, I too hope they're not going to screw with offline mode.
Perhaps they intend to have the client report played time after reconnecting?
I could accept that change, but I think that would be the extent I'd accept.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: June 02, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »

Playtime does absolutely nothing. Nothing. NOTHING. Same with achievements.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1134