Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1459751 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #1125 on: October 27, 2011, 10:21:03 pm »

I didn't realize how much I'd bought until I saw this:

"Estimated download time: 3 Days."

Wow. That's a lot of bandwidth.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:29 pm »

I didn't realize how much I'd bought until I saw this:

"Estimated download time: 3 Days."

Wow. That's a lot of bandwidth.

It took me almost that long to DL Shogun 2 :-\
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 27, 2011, 10:33:37 pm »

Vampire: Bloodlines - Really excellent action RPG. I believe it has its own thread somewhere on the forums.
Ah, I was wondering about that one.  I guess I'll pick it up.  Thanks!

Be warned: running it on Windows 7 requires the completion of many dark and arcane tasks.

I don't believe in practicing voodoo.  Maybe I'll avoid it then.   :P

The game just goes crazy with textures if you have over 3GB of RAM, it fails to detect available memory and defaults to worse-than-Quake 1 textures. There's a simple patched exe (or was it instructions to patch an exe? I think you just need to change a single byte, anyone here could probably do that for you) that basically tells the game that there's plenty of memory, so it works fine (I didn't realize it until I finished the first map :()

https://iain.cx/articles/bloodlines/index.html?part5

I think it works fine on 32-bit Windows.

Trust me, use the unofficial patch. I've got 6 GB of RAM on a 64-bit Windows 7 install, and Bloodlines runs just fine after running the unofficial patch, plus a couple of voodoo-esque actions from the Steam thread helpfully linked above. And it's totally worth the work, even with the occasional outstanding glitch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 27, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »

After the unofficial patch, I had no problems running it on 7. (Other than you know, typically Bloodlines problems like stated above.)

It's pretty much a mandatory add on in my book now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 27, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »

STEAMSALESSTEAMSALESSTEAMSALES

IT IS AS THOUGH A THOUSAND WALLETS CRY OUT IN PAIN

So, what do I buy?

WHAT DO I BUY?!
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »

"The Multiplayer component of F.E.A.R. is no longer available. This title is Single Player only."

So, that blows that door.

I'll probably end up getting it anyways.

Gametracker still shows a ton of servers for FEAR Combat.  I don't know where you saw that message, but I'm guessing it was for the original FEAR multiplayer after they made it into a free to play version.

Amnesia is also on sale.  If you like horror games at all, it's one of the best of its kind.

KG

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:43 pm »

STEAMSALESSTEAMSALESSTEAMSALES

IT IS AS THOUGH A THOUSAND WALLETS CRY OUT IN PAIN

So, what do I buy?

WHAT DO I BUY?!

Hum de dum... looking through the list, I'd recommend:

• If you don't already own it, BioShock. Seriously, people, it's $5. You need this game in your library.
  • As mentioned above, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. If only to restore your faith that not all vampires are angsty disco balls, and at the nice price of $5:P
  • Ghost Master is a mere $1.25. We're talking about the price of a can of soda here, for a heck of a fun experience. Not a huge amount of replay value, but it does a very good job of encouraging you to think outside the box, and to use the skills at your disposal.
  • L4D2 is on for $6.79, and there's still enough of a multiplayer community to make it worthwhile.
  • Plants vs Zombies is also out for a mere $5, although that's technically only 50% off, so you might hold out for Christmas on the incredible off-chance you don't already own it.
  • The entire Overlord series for $5 isn't a terrible deal. They're far from perfect games, not to mention blatant Pikmin ripoffs, but I'm sure you'll get at least $5 of enjoyment out of them.
  • I'm not entirely certain what Terraria has to do with Halloween, but the enormous thread on these very forums is ample evidence that it's worth $5.

Other than that, there's a few games I'm interested in but haven't played, so I'll let other people direct you to other money sinks potential gemstones.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:49 am »

[kust[
    • I'm not entirely certain what Terraria has to do with Halloween, but the enormous thread on these very forums is ample evidence that it's worth $5.

A metric shitton of zombies, among other things?

Really? I have 4 GB of RAM on XP (XP only sees 3.5), and it's working fine. Of course, I'm using the unofficial patch, as anyone playing the game should be.

Edit: Using? Used. I got halfway or two thirds of the way through the game before getting to a boss that seemed to be unbeatable with my character.

Yeah, my bad, the problem is having ~3.5-4GB or more on Windows 64 bit, since it will correctly report (and use) the bytes that 32-bit Windows ignores. Since the game thinks 4GB is the maximum you could have, it thinks you don't have almost any video RAM. (the reason you only see 3.5 GB instead of 4 is because 32-bit includes any external memory sources such as videocards, sound cards, etc - they can only ADD UP to 4GB).

I'm using 32-bit windows. Also, I have a GTX 460 1 GB. Dxdiag reports 3580 MB of RAM, which is 3.496 GB. 3.496+1 = 4.496, significantly more than 4 GB.

(In any case, my first upgrade to my computer before I could do anything else, if I even wanted to do anything else, would have to be windows 7, or 8 (unlikely), but Windows is ridiculously expensive, so unless someone was giving it away for free or giving away free MSDN subscriptions...)
    <Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
    Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
      • View Profile
      • Steam Profile
    « Reply #1133 on: October 28, 2011, 12:28:23 am »

A metric shitton of zombies, among other things?

Really? I have 4 GB of RAM on XP (XP only sees 3.5), and it's working fine. Of course, I'm using the unofficial patch, as anyone playing the game should be.

Edit: Using? Used. I got halfway or two thirds of the way through the game before getting to a boss that seemed to be unbeatable with my character.

Yeah, my bad, the problem is having ~3.5-4GB or more on Windows 64 bit, since it will correctly report (and use) the bytes that 32-bit Windows ignores. Since the game thinks 4GB is the maximum you could have, it thinks you don't have almost any video RAM. (the reason you only see 3.5 GB instead of 4 is because 32-bit includes any external memory sources such as videocards, sound cards, etc - they can only ADD UP to 4GB).

I'm using 32-bit windows. Also, I have a GTX 460 1 GB. Dxdiag reports 3580 MB of RAM, which is 3.496 GB. 3.496+1 = 4.496, significantly more than 4 GB.

(In any case, my first upgrade to my computer before I could do anything else, if I even wanted to do anything else, would have to be windows 7, or 8 (unlikely), but Windows is ridiculously expensive, so unless someone was giving it away for free or giving away free MSDN subscriptions...)

Well, it's around sixty-five dollars (unless you buy a disc) for college students...or you could, you know, Yar-har-har-fiddle-dee-dee it.

So um.

I have literally no money. Like, at all.

If anyone wants to throw cash or games at me, please do so.

EDIT: Where the hell did that list tag come from?
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:23:59 am by dragonshardz »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
    • One Crazy Ass Giant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1134 on: October 28, 2011, 12:46:34 am »

Well, it's around sixty-five dollars (unless you buy a disc) for college students...or you could, you know, Yar-har-har-fiddle-dee-dee it.
    If the college has a deal with MSDN, Windows 7 download is free. $24 for a disk.
    It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
    • Watcher Of Bays
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1135 on: October 28, 2011, 01:21:31 am »

Technically only for CS students, though.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
    • One Crazy Ass Giant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1136 on: October 28, 2011, 01:23:10 am »

Technically only for CS students, though.
    You and your "laws".
    It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
    • Western Romanticist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1137 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:53 am »

MOVING ON BEFORE THINGS GET HAIRY
    I'm willing to recommend Terraria so we can get more people come join Kael's server for funtimes.
    "I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
    • Watcher Of Bays
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1138 on: October 28, 2011, 01:40:11 am »

I had to ask the head of the CS department to get an account on MSDN, but hey, if you find a way around that, good on you.
    Right, moving on. Uh...

Amnesia is, of course, an excellent horror game.
    STALKER is good too, assuming you can manage your inventory (I can't)

kukouri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • Kukouri Mobile Entertainment
      • View Profile
      • Kukouri Mobile Entertainment
    « Reply #1139 on: October 28, 2011, 01:52:25 am »

A game that doesn't get a much love as I think it should that is on this sale is Zombie Driver. There's a Demo for it, just play that after watching the video for it. You get what you see. GTAish car overhead car shooter where you shoot and run over Zombies. Not bad for like 3$.
    Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1134