Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1456663 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #11070 on: May 04, 2015, 07:52:27 am »

Hm... It looks to me like most of this bundle is only redeemable on Uplay?

Uh... What's Uplay? Is it another thing like Origin? If so, exactly how evil is it? I was thinking of grabbing the $1 tier for nostalgia, but if I have to use another DRM to get the games, I'll probably never play them...

GOG has most of M&M games.  If nostalgia is the point, they've got you covered.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: May 04, 2015, 07:56:17 am »

Has anyone mentioned the GOG.com Star Wars sale? They've got Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast, which is really nice.

Saber bundle, including Jedi Academy, Jedi Outcast and KoTOR 1 &2 - http://www.gog.com/promo/may_the_4th_star_wars_saber_bundle_280415

Blaster bundle, including all the X-Wing / TIE Fighter games - http://www.gog.com/promo/may_the_4th_star_wars_blaster_bundle_280415

Rebel Assault 1 and 2 are also out on GOG.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11072 on: May 04, 2015, 08:28:01 am »

Nostalgia and compatibility.
Srsly, good luck getting the post-DOS M&M games (other than the more recent releases of course) working without some serious patching.
I've got the exact disc case they have a picture of for the M&M1-6(7?) collection. Nice little swivel/pivot out thing that I've never seen since. (Imagine a Swiss Army CD holder)

May the 4th be with you.
(you knew it was coming)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:31 am »

Nostalgia and compatibility.
Srsly, good luck getting the post-DOS M&M games (other than the more recent releases of course) working without some serious patching.
At that point I find it's almost easier to just run an emulator of whatever they were supposed to be running on normally and then run them through that instead of trying to get them to run on your native OS.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: May 04, 2015, 07:30:58 pm »

Aye.  Thankfully, most of the games I'm really interested in are old enough to have DOS compatibility modes, but I keep a Virtual PC rigged for Windows XP whenever I want to dust off some of the intervening works after Windows became the norm but before compatibility with the old 16-bit era was dropped.  I'd imagine it'd probably be more efficient from a resource standpoint to dual-boot XP, but it was convenient. 

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: May 06, 2015, 03:57:58 pm »

Well, $5 for a bunch of games including Planetary Annihilation and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat, if you don't have it yet.

I suppose that's a better deal than whatever they had put PA on sale last month, if it's as bad as people have said here.

No idea what the other games are or if they're worth the extra cents. I might be getting this just to try PA. I guess I could gift Pripyat later.

EDIT: Intrigued by Survivalist, seems a bit like a more free Dead State with action RPG elements.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:05:23 pm by Sergius »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: May 06, 2015, 04:04:54 pm »

Well, $5 for a bunch of games including Planetary Annihilation and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat, if you don't have it yet.

I suppose that's a better deal than whatever they had put PA on sale last month, if it's as bad as people have said here.

No idea what the other games are or if they're worth the extra cents. I might be getting this just to try PA. I guess I could gift Pripyat later.
Where at?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: May 06, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: May 06, 2015, 04:43:02 pm »

Where at?

Oops, sorry, I thought I had mentioned that it was Killer Bundle. TripJack beat me to it.

EDIT: Anyway, been playing Survivalist and it's kinda fun, you actually explore and trade with towns and do quests while improving your anti-zombie shelter, can party up with community members or have them make trips to get materials, they'll fight off zombies and refill ammo on their own. Everything seems to happen in a single big map in real time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:41:15 pm by Sergius »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11079 on: May 07, 2015, 10:54:32 am »

Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey is in that bundle too, and I have to say, it's a great little casual game. It's the best combination word game / RPG I've seen and I dropped a lot of hours 100%-ing it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: May 07, 2015, 11:27:22 am »

Steam has a "3D Realms Anthology" on sale at the moment. It includes about 32 games from "Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry", "Crystal Caves", "Duke Nukem 3D" to "Wacky Wheels" and "Word Rescue".

While all the games are ones that I would recommend, I would have to say that it would be probably better to buy them on GOG, though you can't get every one of those games on GOG, so no "Word Rescue" if you go that route.

While I'm posting; apparently GOG have just released several Star Trek games. "Judgement Rites", "25th Anniversary" and "Starfleet Academy". From what I've read, Star Trek games tend to be from bad to mediocre with the occational really good, but I have seen quite a few people with fond memories of "25th Anniversary" which is an adventure game based on TOS split into episodes with small combat sequences. "Judgement Rites" is the same but I've seen some negative comments about the tone of the missions not being as... creative or something?

I can't comment on "Starfleet Academy" as I haven't played nor seen someone play it.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: May 07, 2015, 11:52:46 am »

I'll +1 the fond memories of 25A.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: May 07, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »

sale on 1c games going on at the indie gala store, a few gems in here though some of the discounts aren't so great https://www.indiegala.com/store/1ccompany-games

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:44 pm »

While I'm posting; apparently GOG have just released several Star Trek games. "Judgement Rites", "25th Anniversary" and "Starfleet Academy". From what I've read, Star Trek games tend to be from bad to mediocre with the occational really good, but I have seen quite a few people with fond memories of "25th Anniversary" which is an adventure game based on TOS split into episodes with small combat sequences. "Judgement Rites" is the same but I've seen some negative comments about the tone of the missions not being as... creative or something?

I can't comment on "Starfleet Academy" as I haven't played nor seen someone play it.
The point-and-click adventure games for Star Trek were probably some of the best Star Trek games out there.  It's not exactly a high bar when you have to compare it to things like New Worlds or the Generations FPS (both of which I've also played), but the Interplay games were quite good in their own right in my admittedly somewhat-biased opinion.  They also make you think about how you would solve problems in the idealist air of Starfleet, as well; going in with phasers blazing is sometimes necessary, but not always the optimum course of action.  Also true to the TV show, they also give you a redshirt just in case you screw up on a mission in particular ways, if you get the drift. :P

If I had to say something was bad about them, it'd be that ship-to-ship combat was downright awful.  I think I complained about it when I replayed the games a little while ago in the "How did you last die" thread (because that's precisely what I did, over and over again), but there is one particular point in 25th Anniversary where you have to fight another very special ship and win, and it.  Is.  Terrible.  Full stop.  I won't elaborate further because of spoilers, but I just don't think putting shipboard shooter action in a point-and-click adventure game worked well; thankfully, you can change their difficulty or even skip them in the second game, if I recall properly.  I actually preferred Judgment Rites over 25th Anniversary, though I would suggest playing them in original order (the first mission of Judgment Rites directly follows on to the end of 25th Anniversary), and both games combined are good enough to still make me regret that we will never, ever see Secret of Vulcan Fury. 

As for the last, I also liked Starfleet Academy when I played it, but I was younger back then, and I haven't actually pulled out the five-disc set in years.  I also never actually beat it; even back then, I was awful at that sort of game. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:06:40 pm by Culise »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11084 on: May 07, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »

Last good ST game I played happens to be AFAIK, the first.
Yes, that DOS one. No, not that one, the one that was only ship-based.
Yes, it was very short on the lore and the overall game was rather simplistic, but it didn't make a travesty of gameplay or material. Something that I feel can't be said of any StarTrek game since.
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1134