Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1457236 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10845 on: March 14, 2015, 01:46:15 am »

Humble gives larger cuts to devs and 10% to charity. There's also some hefty universe replacement mods that only work for certain X games. Might as well get them all.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: March 14, 2015, 02:58:36 am »

Prelude kinda wrecked shit, with the stupid huge battles going on everywhere.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: March 14, 2015, 04:15:58 am »

Also, why Terran Conflict? Why not Albion Prelude?
Because I haven't played Albion Prelude, and it doesn't appear to be free for the weekend.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: March 14, 2015, 11:33:41 am »

Got referred to this thread.  Here is the question:

I am looking for a bit of quick advice--figure the Bay 12 community is usually pretty reliable.

Steam has the X Series on sale until Monday.  Is it worth my while buying?  I understand that X Rebirth is supposed to be pretty glitchy, although it is still getting updates and patches.  What about the older versions?  I really love sandbox space exploration-I loved Freelancer, and Sid Meiers Pirates as well.

Any advice?  Thanks.

So, any advice?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: March 14, 2015, 11:43:59 am »

All the X3 games are ones which expect you to put in a lot of time and effort to make any progress in the game. Unless you enjoy playing games in which progress is even slower than your average MMO, I would not recommend either. If, however, you don't mind that, I'd probably suggest that AP is the most advanced one in the series (from what I hear anyways. I haven't completed the plot of X3:TC, and so I could never bring myself to skip to AP).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10850 on: March 14, 2015, 11:58:13 am »

I am looking for a bit of quick advice--figure the Bay 12 community is usually pretty reliable.

Steam has the X Series on sale until Monday.  Is it worth my while buying?  I understand that X Rebirth is supposed to be pretty glitchy, although it is still getting updates and patches.  What about the older versions?  I really love sandbox space exploration-I loved Freelancer, and Sid Meiers Pirates as well.

Any advice?  Thanks.

So, any advice?

Check my post last page for some notes on X:Rebirth.

It's very, very different from Freelancer. You're not going to have a lot of immersion here in terms of story, voice acting, etc. It's all going to be in how it looks, how it plays, and trying to become an economic giant by building all teh spehs steshuns. I genuinely enjoyed myself playing X3:AP (I only ever played X3:AP because there are supposed to be some improvements to the game and some new areas, but I don't know enough first-hand to declare whether X3:TC > X3:AP or vice-versa), but then again I also enjoy trading games like Port Royale 2 & 3 and Patrician IV. The game's not only about trading, especially since it can take a while to get there, but it's definitely the late-game in terms of managing an economy with space stations and freighter fleets.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10851 on: March 14, 2015, 12:45:36 pm »

Any advice?  Thanks.

So, any advice?

I'd suggest getting the superbox off humblebundle (or was it indiegala?) because there are mods that work on Terran conflict and ones that work on Albion Prelude and you robably want the freedom to pick. For example i have terran conflict and can't use the mining drones mod (where you can have drones running around and hauling asteroids into your cargo hold).

Also know that both TC and AP have TONS of mods. Some even are full conversions... but again some work on TC others on AP and rarely some have versions for both TC and AP.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: March 14, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

Any advice?  Thanks.

So, any advice?

Check my post last page for some notes on X:Rebirth.

It's very, very different from Freelancer. You're not going to have a lot of immersion here in terms of story, voice acting, etc. It's all going to be in how it looks, how it plays, and trying to become an economic giant by building all teh spehs steshuns. I genuinely enjoyed myself playing X3:AP (I only ever played X3:AP because there are supposed to be some improvements to the game and some new areas, but I don't know enough first-hand to declare whether X3:TC > X3:AP or vice-versa), but then again I also enjoy trading games like Port Royale 2 & 3 and Patrician IV. The game's not only about trading, especially since it can take a while to get there, but it's definitely the late-game in terms of managing an economy with space stations and freighter fleets.

Thanks.  I like the idea of a sandbox builder--I liked Freelancer, but got bored with it once the story was done.  There was nothing to do but keep running missions, and trade.  I take it then that rebirth is not worth it?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10853 on: March 14, 2015, 01:41:03 pm »

Thanks.  I like the idea of a sandbox builder--I liked Freelancer, but got bored with it once the story was done.  There was nothing to do but keep running missions, and trade.  I take it then that rebirth is not worth it?
If you got bored after the story in freelancer, why would anything in the X series be different?
In this aspect, freelancer and almost all of the X games are very similar (other than X being a bit more mod-friendly).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: March 14, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

One of the only problems with Freelancer was that the galaxy was entirely static.  All stations were invincible except for storyline, and organizations never get weaker no matter how many of their ships or mission-spawned outposts you destroy.  Prices never even change.  I haven't played any of the X series, are they like that?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: March 14, 2015, 02:00:25 pm »

X3, X3:TC, and X3:AP are not like that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: March 14, 2015, 02:30:04 pm »

One of the only problems with Freelancer was that the galaxy was entirely static.  All stations were invincible except for storyline, and organizations never get weaker no matter how many of their ships or mission-spawned outposts you destroy.  Prices never even change.  I haven't played any of the X series, are they like that?

Just about every station is destructible... the Torus is probably the only exeption but lore wise it's pretty much a superfortress built out of pure paranoia (and it's gone in AP)
The universe kinda reminds me of space rangers... to some extent because while enemies are often spawned in most other ships like traders dynamically go to the most profitable stations nearby.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:31:38 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:32 am »

The X:3 series has a global decision engine(also known as GoD), which will generally manage the entire NPC economy by removing stations that don't make a profit, adding stations where it thinks they're needed (via intermediaries, even) to simulate an entire economy. Can sometimes be a problem, as due to the isolated and unique nature of the Terran Spacestations, it's possible for them to end up in a vicious economic collapse which results in the unavailability of some weaponry.

I'm not sure if it keeps tabs on the strength of various organisations, but I'm quite certain that there are mods for that.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: March 16, 2015, 10:29:37 am »

I ended up giving Rebirth a whirl over the weekend, due to the free play.  It...I hate to ask, but was this 3.0 patch really the improved version compared to launch?  I just couldn't get into it, not with the gameplay (walking around stations sounds nifty, but only works the first couple times), not with the fluff, and not with the character designs (forget ugly graphics; I simply cannot get over the sheer impracticality of bare skin on a space suit). 

On the other hand, it got me to start over in X3: Terran Conflict, so there's that.  I even started a Vanilla+ game this time to give it a whirl without any fancy script mods, so I actually, after over a hundred hours of gameplay, finally unlocked my first achievement. :P

Just about every station is destructible... the Torus is probably the only exeption but lore wise it's pretty much a superfortress built out of pure paranoia (and it's gone in AP)
The universe kinda reminds me of space rangers... to some extent because while enemies are often spawned in most other ships like traders dynamically go to the most profitable stations nearby.
It may not be a station, but I think the ship Argon One is another exception to the "everything is destructible" rule.  I wasn't aware of the Torus, though, so that now makes precisely two stations or ships in the entire game that cannot be destroyed to the best of my knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:31:20 am by Culise »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10859 on: March 16, 2015, 10:37:54 am »

I ended up giving Rebirth a whirl over the weekend, due to the free play.  It...I hate to ask, but was this 3.0 patch really the improved version compared to launch?  I just couldn't get into it, not with the gameplay (walking around stations sounds nifty, but only works the first couple times), not with the fluff, and not with the character designs (forget ugly graphics; I simply cannot get over the sheer impracticality of bare skin on a space suit). 
Heh, yeah. When the game first came out you literally could not progress beyond the second mission due to game-breaking bugs, you couldn't even finish the tutorial portion! The UI was designed for a console game and it was even more obvious here than in skyrim/oblivion... it was just awful. It's 'better' now but only in the sense that getting a tooth cavity filled is better than getting full on oral surgery.
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1134