Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1134

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1454942 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10065 on: December 01, 2014, 02:51:59 pm »

Honestly, if it was possible to backport the Loa into SotS I I'd have no reason to poke at II. They're the only reason I gave it a second chance, and then gave up because I couldn't make the gatebuilding do what I wanted.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: December 01, 2014, 03:07:48 pm »

Ah, one of those. Well I'd picked up the bundle anyway because why not, going to sleep on picking up the original. It'd just be joining my backlog most likely...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10067 on: December 01, 2014, 03:11:42 pm »

Incidentally, Darkest Hour uses a relatively old EU engine at this point, but it was a really solid game when I played it.

I also played both SOTS I and II a little bit. It seemed interesting, but the economy didn't seem to have any particular depth. It was essentially about fighting the other races, and I wasn't a big fan of the RTS style combat system.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: December 01, 2014, 03:16:44 pm »

I played lots of SotS1 and my biggest gripe with it(and a lot of other turn-based strategy games) and what ultimately got me to stop playing was that you almost always reach a point where even if you're behind you can win by simply making a big ball of ships and even though your enemies may be better off than you, if you have a big enough singular fleet, you will win. Also, despite having 300+ hours in the game, I have only ever finished a handful of games because once you reach a certain critical point, victory is assured, everything else is just cleanup and will usually take longer than the part of the game that was actually challenging. This is a problem with too many strategy games.

SotSII's system gets around that flaw for the most part and is why I was really interested in it and ultimately disappointed by the way the game ended up. I hear it is much better nowadays but the AI is not a good challenge.

SotS is a great game and has fairly good AI and will keep you entertained and challenged  until you master it. SotSII will not be a challenging singleplayer(or co-op vs AI) experience, but in my personal opinion has superior gameplay and mechanics, making it better if you're looking for purely multiplayer games.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: December 01, 2014, 03:40:58 pm »

Anybody played Child of Light?  The recommendations on steam seem pretty good and the price is low enough for me to get, so I was thinking of picking it up.  The amount of DLC is a bit off-putting though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: December 01, 2014, 04:09:22 pm »

Looking at that, SotSII Enhanced Edition is in the current flash bundle, so that's only $1 for Steam keys alongside other games. Any reason to prefer SotS Compete over II?

SotS 2 is bad, like really really bad. Almost everything about it is bad, and it's hard to think of any good points that it really does well. It somehow manages to take only the bad parts of the original game, and add only new bad parts without really adding any good parts.

....I guess the graphics are relatively pretty and there's some nice damage effects and such?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: December 01, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »

Looking at that, SotSII Enhanced Edition is in the current flash bundle, so that's only $1 for Steam keys alongside other games. Any reason to prefer SotS Compete over II?

SotS 2 is bad, like really really bad. Almost everything about it is bad, and it's hard to think of any good points that it really does well. It somehow manages to take only the bad parts of the original game, and add only new bad parts without really adding any good parts.

....I guess the graphics are relatively pretty and there's some nice damage effects and such?
The graphics are actually incredible, if the game has any strong points, it's that. The problem with SOTS2 is that it tried to recreate from scratch (and in a different way) systems that already worked perfectly in the first and only needed to be ported over. And then failed horribly at that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10072 on: December 01, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »

I heard that SotS2 eventually got fixed? Maybe it was the expansion pack or something that made it not absolutely terrible?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: December 01, 2014, 06:53:04 pm »

It got fixed only in the most literal sense - as in, it does not crash all the time anymore and most of the worst of the bugs are gone.

It's still a horrible mess that's not very much fun to play, and has severe performance issues - especially on larger maps which are basically unplayable even with top end systems unless you have a saintlike amount of patience for the wait between turns.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10074 on: December 02, 2014, 12:05:29 pm »

Seems like GamersGate's Black Friday sale went into Holiday almost immediately, hehe. Anyways, no ground breaking deals at the moment, but you can get Warhammer 40K games for 75% off which is the lowest they usually get, iirc, and you also have Stardock games, but only for 66% off... Well, more is to come I guess as this sell ends on 22nd December (and probably shifts immediately to Christmas sale at that point, hehe.)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: December 02, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »

I heard that SotS2 eventually got fixed? Maybe it was the expansion pack or something that made it not absolutely terrible?
Don't buy this. You might encounter some morons who think the game is fine but let me tell you something. Once in awhile you might run into someone who crashed his car into a a huge vat of human vomit and instead of climbing out like a normal person, they'll rather drown in the vomit than admit they crashed the car.

The game isn't utter garbage like it was when it was released but it's still pretty shite. BurnedToast explained many of the problems but trust me... there are way more.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: December 02, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »

Don't buy this. You might encounter some morons who think the game is fine but let me tell you something. Once in awhile you might run into someone who crashed his car into a a huge vat of human vomit and instead of climbing out like a normal person, they'll rather drown in the vomit than admit they crashed the car.

The game isn't utter garbage like it was when it was released but it's still pretty shite. BurnedToast explained many of the problems but trust me... there are way more.
Thank you i was about to say i loved the game... and that i havent encounter many issue after the year long patching process... Most of them are DF-like issues at very worst.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: December 02, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »

My biggest complaint about SotS2 was the whole fleet management system, way to complicated, way to many steps, way to much time wasted.  I didn't mind that you designed fleet build orders, but the tediousness of sending fleets to do anything just got to me quickly.  To do anything you had to select the target destination, choose a mission type, choose a fleet in range that had the ability to do the chosen mission, choose the fleet, and then select any applicable secondary choice (what station to build, fleet to target).  Repeat that, over and over and over just to explore.  God forbid the fleet you WANT to send is to far away, so you need to select one of your colonies that is in range and do a re-base mission.  It quickly became a mess.

This was opposed to, you know, just choosing a fleet and then clicking a destination and telling me when they arrived so I could then give them their next order.  No need for a screen change to a different UI that provided NO INFO.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: December 02, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »

Master of Orion 3 was like that too.

"Let's take all the working parts of our game... and make it unnecessarily convoluted! Right clicking? Pffft... Add 15 different confirmation buttons!"

If SotS 2 merely put their graphics into SotS1 everyone would have been happy. It would have been bloody fantastic. Good thing SotS 1 is still a great game regardless, just looks a bit dated.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10079 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:15 pm »

GALS

GUYS

IT'S RED FACTION FRANCHISE MIDWEEK MADNESS

PICK THE WHOLE COLLECTION IF YOU ARE A COMPLETIONIST

BUT IF NOT

YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY

PICK UP RED FACTION GUERILLA

THEY'VE JUST UPDATED IT TODAY, GETTING IT CLEAN GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIFE AND ADDING SOME MP MAPS AND BUNCH OF FIXES AND HALP IMHIPERVENTILANTING

RE-FUCKING-JOICE
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1134